Answered

Having trouble setting up new Sonos Move bought from overseas

• 15 October 2023
  • 9 replies

Hi,

I recently bought a brand new Sonos Move from Japan and I live in New Zealand.  I’m having trouble doing the initial setup via the Sonos mobile app.

• Launched Sonos app, and discovers the Sonos Move speaker.
  • I tap “Add”
  • App tells me to press the infinity button that’s playing the chime.
  • App connects to Sonos Move successfully.
  • App asks to connect to wifi and I enter my wifi password carefully and verify that it’s correct. Click Connect.
  • App stalls on “Connecting Sonos Move to <my wifi>” for 2 minutes.
  • App says “There was a problem setting up your Sonos Move.  Let’s try something else”.  Tap Continue.
  • App says “Go to iOS Accessory Setup to connect your Sonos Move to your WiFi”.  Tap “Go to Accessory Setup”.
  • After 30 seconds, app says “There was a problem during setup.  Restart your mobile device or use a different one and try again”.

I’ve factory reset the device several times and am getting no further.  Some advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

icon

Best answer by techhit 15 October 2023, 08:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Describe your network for us. Which model router are you using? Is there a mesh or some sort of WiFi  extender?

Rt-ac5300 and RT-ax56u running in mesh configuration. I managed to get this connected to 2.4ghz eventually 

MOVE can deal with 5GHz. Some default router configurations will block communication between devices on 2.4 and 5GHz. If this is the case and the controller is on one band and a player is on the other band, they cannot communicate.

My 2.4ghz devices can communicate with my other devices on 5ghz. I suspect its the channels and frequencies that are not supported in Japanese 5ghz band vs NZ

You may need to disable auto channels.

Asus routers, which I think you have, are often troublesome. You may benefit from a search about their issues. 

I’ve now managed to get the Sonos Move added to the app.

However, under System, it shows Sonos Move but “Not Registered”.

I’m on the same wifi as my Sonos Move, and go through the registration wizard:

• Let’s finish adding your Sonos Move to your system.  Continue
  • Sign into my Sonos account. Continue
  • Next, your Sonos Move will play a chime with an audio PIN to finish adding it to your system. Continue.
  • Discovering your Sonos Move… successful.
  • Make sure the light on your Sonos Move is flashing white and green - yes it is.
  • Pres the button on it to continue.  Button pressed.
  • Linking Sonos Move to your account….
  • Error: There was a problem linking your Sonos Move to your Account.  Try again.

This happens repeatedly, and the registration never succeeds.

FINALLY, fixed all the problems I’ve been having.  Wasn’t easy.

• Under Advanced Settings, click LAN.
  • Select the IPTV tab.
  • Enable Multicast Routing (IGMP Proxy) and Efficient Multicast Forwarding (IGMP Snooping.)
  • Go back to Advanced Settings, and click Wireless.
  • Select the Professional tab.
  • Enable IGMP Snooping.

Perform factory reset.  Start over again.  Finally added and registered.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

FINALLY, fixed all the problems I’ve been having.  Wasn’t easy.

• Under Advanced Settings, click LAN.
  • Select the IPTV tab.
  • Enable Multicast Routing (IGMP Proxy) and Efficient Multicast Forwarding (IGMP Snooping.)
  • Go back to Advanced Settings, and click Wireless.
  • Select the Professional tab.
  • Enable IGMP Snooping.

Perform factory reset.  Start over again.  Finally added and registered.

Very interesting and great that you managed to fix your issue. Nothing more annoying than an exciting piece of new tech not playing ball.

I have an Asus XT8 mesh system, and the options you describe are slightly different for me, but are nevertheless all enabled by default… hence I have no issues. I’ll have to remember to keep an eye on them when I make future changes.