Answered

Google assistant problems with Sonos Move

• 19 September 2023
  • 5 replies

I am not sure if anyone has the same problem. 

I purchased my Move in the UK while i was living there and recently moved to New York. I am reading lots of post of the Move being incompatible with 5gHz routers from verizon. Interestingly though, I was able to set it up. Worked just fine, playing music and everything. My issue is with the google assistant. I’ve tried resetting the Move and adding the google assistant again, however, when I give commands, it’s saying that the speaker is not available. I can control the Move just fine with the app either from my ipad or my phone but would love to have that flexibility again of having to speak to it via google assistant.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 21 September 2023, 14:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @xiejianbei, welcome to the Sonos Community!

You’ve already performed one of the steps I would recommend, which is to remove and re-add Google Assistant. I would also suggest you remove the Sonos Move from the Google Assistant / Google Home app, as it may still be trying to link to the previous assistant connection rather than the new one after you had reset the Move.

You can unlink your Sonos Move by opening the Google Assistant app → Tapping the user icon → Devices → Sonos Move → Unlink. 

It’s also worth checking your profile on Sonos.com to see if your address is set correctly, as this can effect music services and voice assistants. If you change your address, reboot your Sonos system or leave it for around an hour or two to fully change over then try Google Assistant again.

If you’ve followed these steps and you’re still getting the same message from Google Assistant when you give a voice command, I would recommend you reach out to our support team for further troubleshooting assistance.

I hope this helps!

Hi @xiejianbei, welcome to the Sonos Community!

You’ve already performed one of the steps I would recommend, which is to remove and re-add Google Assistant. I would also suggest you remove the Sonos Move from the Google Assistant / Google Home app, as it may still be trying to link to the previous assistant connection rather than the new one after you had reset the Move.

You can unlink your Sonos Move by opening the Google Assistant app → Tapping the user icon → Devices → Sonos Move → Unlink. 

It’s also worth checking your profile on Sonos.com to see if your address is set correctly, as this can effect music services and voice assistants. If you change your address, reboot your Sonos system or leave it for around an hour or two to fully change over then try Google Assistant again.

If you’ve followed these steps and you’re still getting the same message from Google Assistant when you give a voice command, I would recommend you reach out to our support team for further troubleshooting assistance.

I hope this helps!

Tried all of this, did not work. Even reset my complete network, still no luck

What did the support team he mentioned say? 

What did the support team he mentioned say? 

That will be the next step, havent had the time to reach out to them today. Strange thing is, is that it sometimes is working.

I got the Verizon 5g Home Internet around Dec. 2022. I think it was around April that I noticed my Google Assistant will reply back to me saying about how it’s not connected to the internet even though my Spotify has no problem connecting to the Sonos and play music. Sometimes the Google assistant would work randomly, which was weird. 

Frustrated with the intermittent Google Assistant functionality, I finally called Sonos to try to fix it. My first set of trouble shooting over the phone seemed to have worked for about 2-3 months(Level 2 tech had to get involved). Then finally in October I called to try fixing it again since the same problem came back around August and after spending about +3hrs trying to fix the same re-occuring issue, they decided to send me a new Sonos One(Gen2). Now that I have that, Google Assistant cant find the device, went through all of the troubleshoots(unregistering Sonos in Google Assistant, etc.), I just spent +2hrs with the tech support. I’m now at about 5-7hrs all in all with no solution to get the Google Assistant working with the Sonos One(Gen2) and I’m about to flip a table. So I don’t know if it has anything to do with the Verizon 5G Home Internet system or not but there’s something wrong with the Sonos software that’s causing this because there’s no way 2 devices is having problems with Google Assistant that’s caused by manufacturing errors.