Answered

Feature Request SONOS MOVE Stereo - disbanding Stereo after Bluetooth problem

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi SONOS Support

We’ve got two MOVE Speakers set up in Stereo in our bedroom. 

We sporadically put one of these MOVE Speakers into Bluetooth mode so it can pair with the FireTV Stick, which works great - the problem, which is repeatable, when you put it back to WiFi mode it drops the Stereo pairing (name and everything related to the pair) it had with the other MOVE and needs to be set up all over again; which is very frustrating.

Please can this be addressed, it doesn’t make sense that it should do this once back on the same WiFi it came from…few people are going to be moving the charger all over the place…

Thank you

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 12 January 2023, 16:53

View original

23 replies

Leaving aside the feature request….

From your other posts it appears you have an Arc.  I am not sure exactly how and where you are pairing the Fire TV stick to the Move, but I wonder if you could just play apps on your TV, group the Arc to the Move pair, and avoid the need to use Bluetooth or split the stereo pairing?

(I realise that this may not fit your use case.)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi John B

We dont have an ARC yet, it’s on the future list but don’t have £700 to spare just yet …also ‘that’ bedroom TV doesn’t have an ARC, nor SPDIF output - nonetheless, even if we took one MOVE outside, then then upon return to its usual home it’s lost all recollection of its brother that it was set up in Stereo for 

Thanks

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

****** out of interest, is anyone else noticing this flaw that after Bluetooth, once back in WiFi mode at home the Stereo with their other MOVE is destroyed? ******

No, I’ve not noticed any situation in which a Sonos speaker is ‘destroyed’. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The Stereo pairing is ‘destroyed’ the moment you flick any one of the MOVE speakers into Bluetooth; if you revert to WiFi immediately afterwards you will find the Stereo pairing ‘name’ and anything to do with that pairing has vanished from the App - you have to set this up all over again; even the Hardware LEDs are back On both MOVEs, so you have to set them back to Off so you can sleep without the annoying lights being On…

I consider this a bug-fix, the MOVE should have a memory of previous WiFi based setup and settings… please SONOS, can you look into this, these are an expensive set of Speakers all considering 

thanks

The Stereo pairing is ‘destroyed’ the moment you flick any one of the MOVE speakers into Bluetooth; if you revert to WiFi immediately afterwards you will find the Stereo pairing ‘name’ and anything to do with that pairing has vanished from the App - you have to set this up all over again; even the Hardware LEDs are back On both MOVEs, so you have to set them back to Off so you can sleep without the annoying lights being On…

I consider this a bug-fix, the MOVE should have a memory of previous WiFi based setup and settings… please SONOS, can you look into this, these are an expensive set of Speakers all considering 

thanks

“Destroyed” implies that the function is damaged beyond repair, which isn’t the case.   I would describe it as “disabled” or “deconfigured”. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Destroyed is apt, all evidence of a stereo configuration is completely erased from the system… but you could also say unconfigured if being pedantic about phraseology 

I only have a single Move, so don’t run into this issue specifically.  However, I do have a pair of Roams where I would see this issue all the time.  If one of the Roams (R1) was placed into bluetooth mode, or turned off, the other Roam (R2) would automatically switch to be a single mono speaker ‘room’...which is fine.  When R1 had bluetooth mode turned off, or speaker turned back on, then it would show up as a brand new second room, rather than still be bonded with R2 as a stereo pair.  It was very annoying, and I never power off these speakers or go into bluetooth mode because of it.

I believe Sonos has since done a firmware upgrade where R1 and R2 will stay as a stereo pair as long as they are on and connected to WiFi, even when one is in bluetooth mode.  That helps.  I don’t think the same can apply to the Move since it can’t be connected to WiFi and in bluetooth mode at the same time, the way Roam can.

Anyway, where you call the stereo pair ‘destroyed’ or ‘deconfigured’ it’s annoying to be required to re-pair speakers every time you want to use a Move in bluetooth mode, or turn a speaker off. Not saying it’s an easy change, but it would nice for the Move that is entering a WiFi network and was stereo paired before it went to BT or turned off to automatically search for the Move it was previously paired to and automatically reestablish that pair.  This is going to be the desire of the customer 95% of the time I think.  The only issue is that it’s possible that left and right speakers got reversed from the previous setup, but that can happen at any time anyway, since the speakers are portable.

Destroyed is apt, all evidence of a stereo configuration is completely erased from the system… but you could also say unconfigured if being pedantic about phraseology 

No, destroyed is not at all apt.  You are using silly melodrama to enhance your complaint, and it makes you looks foolish. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I only have a single Move, so don’t run into this issue specifically.  However, I do have a pair of Roams where I would see this issue all the time.  If one of the Roams (R1) was placed into bluetooth mode, or turned off, the other Roam (R2) would automatically switch to be a single mono speaker ‘room’...which is fine.  When R1 had bluetooth mode turned off, or speaker turned back on, then it would show up as a brand new second room, rather than still be bonded with R2 as a stereo pair.  It was very annoying, and I never power off these speakers or go into bluetooth mode because of it.

I believe Sonos has since done a firmware upgrade where R1 and R2 will stay as a stereo pair as long as they are on and connected to WiFi, even when one is in bluetooth mode.  That helps.  I don’t think the same can apply to the Move since it can’t be connected to WiFi and in bluetooth mode at the same time, the way Roam can.

Anyway, where you call the stereo pair ‘destroyed’ or ‘deconfigured’ it’s annoying to be required to re-pair speakers every time you want to use a Move in bluetooth mode, or turn a speaker off. Not saying it’s an easy change, but it would nice for the Move that is entering a WiFi network and was stereo paired before it went to BT or turned off to automatically search for the Move it was previously paired to and automatically reestablish that pair.  This is going to be the desire of the customer 95% of the time I think.  The only issue is that it’s possible that left and right speakers got reversed from the previous setup, but that can happen at any time anyway, since the speakers are portable.

Thanks, finally a useful response and agree with you…other than some fan-boy replies

It seems strange that the ROAM can do simultaneous Bluetooth and WiFi, yet the more expensive MOVE cannot?!

Thanks, finally a useful response and agree with you…other than some fan-boy replies

It seems strange that the ROAM can do simultaneous Bluetooth and WiFi, yet the more expensive MOVE cannot?!

The Move is an older product, which may be the reason it is incapable of the same feature set as the Roam.

Come on now.  You weren’t getting any responses for a couple days, then you amped up the rhetoric from ‘frustrating’ to ‘destroyed’.  It can’t be too surprised that some, fan boy or otherwise, find it a bit of an exaggeration and rather silly.   

I don’t know that the others are actually using a Move or Roam as stereo pair and thus can appreciate that de-pairing is annoying, and thus had no comment on the issue.  I certainly didn’t appreciate it when I only had the single Move.  It has been a known issue for some time now, and perhaps something that Sonos isn’t going to be able to address for whatever reason.  Probably part of the reason why people aren’t all that eager to re-engage on the topic.

As mentioned already, not really given when the products were released.  It would be strange if Sonos comes out with a Move Gen 2 that doesn’t match the features of the Roam.

When I use two Moves outdoors (not often, but maybe family BBQ/get-togethers etc.) then I tend to quickly ‘group’ them rather than ‘pair’ them, as I find that sounds best outdoors. They can be ‘grouped’ using SVC quickly, or automatically by adding the two Moves to an Alexa ‘enabled’ group FWIW …and that might be the best options to use in this instance, as that would greatly simplify things. Anyhow…

Indoors however, I keep one on the ground floor (ready to take outdoors) and one upstairs (in shower-room) so I tend to use them mostly standalone. I didn’t even realise they ‘stayed’ unpaired when switched to Bluetooth, as obviously that doesn’t happen with our two Roams.

My thoughts are, the fact the Moves do not work the same as the new Roam, is because of the Move perhaps having older components and presumably Sonos would have otherwise corrected this with a firmware/software update by now - so my ‘guess’ is the the Move will need a hardware update for this to happen, perhaps 🤔? 

I looked online and the Move was first released ‘end of September 2019’ - so I think we might not see an update (Move gen2) for at least a couple of years (guess!! - famous last words 😂).. so I would perhaps just go with auto-grouping using Alexa ‘enabled’ groups instead, or use SVC.. Just to also add, there are 3rd party Apps too like ‘Soro’ that can enable ‘grouping’ with Siri voice control on iOS devices.

I looked online and the Move was first released ‘end of September 2019’ - so I think we might not see an update (Move gen2) for at least a couple of years (guess!! - famous last words 😂).. 

Based off recent examples, Sonos tends to create a new generation of a product when there is significant new feature then can add with hardware and they can get that hardware for the same or cheaper than whatever contract they were under for the previous gen hardware.   While I believe this is a nice feature, I don’t think it would drive new sales all that much.  Also, hard to imagine better hardware deals can be had right now.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Just had a thought, if the ROAM can pair with a MOVE in a Stereo configuration; and also do Bluetooth and WiFi simultaneously (!) …would selling one of my MOVE and buying a ROAM fix this problem i.e. when using in Bluetooth to have sound from the bedroom FireStick (TV), it would retain the Stereo bond it has with the MOVE?

Just had a thought, if the ROAM can pair with a MOVE in a Stereo configuration; and also do Bluetooth and WiFi simultaneously (!) …would selling one of my MOVE and buying a ROAM fix this problem i.e. when using in Bluetooth to have sound from the bedroom FireStick (TV), it would retain the Stereo bond it has with the MOVE?

The Roam cannot be paired with the Move in stereo. You can only pair the same models. 

A Roam can only be ‘grouped’ with a Move - ‘stereo pairing’ isn’t allowed between the two and can only be done with same/similar devices.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Okay, thanks for that info… damn, thought that may have been a good compromise solution

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I’d really like a SONOS Support/Technical person to respond to the original query; this is who it was really aimed at… (no offence intended to members of this site) or is this the wrong place i.e. need to contact Support directly?

This is indeed a user community. There are a very few forum moderators from Sonos here, but if you want to contact Sonos Support folks, your best bet is to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

I’d really like a SONOS Support/Technical person to respond to the original query; this is who it was really aimed at… (no offence intended to members of this site) or is this the wrong place i.e. need to contact Support directly?

They do read these threads, and sometimes they will respond with a “thanks for the feature request”.   This request has been made many times before though. They almost never comment on whether the request is feasible or not, whether it would be considered a priority, or any sort of time frame in which it would be implemented though...as a policy.  Whether that’s a good policy or not is a whole other discussion.

I am expiriencing this problem for a while now.

But i am pretty sure it started with an app update.  (Most be over a year ago, i guess).  It used to work - meaning going from paired stereo WIFI to BT and back again to being paired.

I am expiriencing this problem for a while now.

But i am pretty sure it started with an app update.  (Most be over a year ago, i guess).  It used to work - meaning going from paired stereo WIFI to BT and back again to being paired.

Update.  Sonos Support says “this behavior is normal - has always been like that” And that they forward this as a request...