Does Sonos Roam literally never last longer than 1.5 years?

• 6 September 2023
  • 8 replies

I’ve now had two Sonos Roams and both have died on me (i.e. refuse to switch on) after less than 1.5 years. There is obviously a defect with this product as I see a lot of others have the same problem.

I’d like to hear from anyone who literally has been using a Roam for >1.5 years successfully. Or are you someone who has been using a Roam only to have it die on you <1.5 years?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I’ve been using my Sonos Roam since essentially its release. The original release date was April 20, 2021. I got mine within a couple of weeks. No issues so far, although I’ll admit the single button on the back isn’t my favorite. Probably 75% Wi-Fi use, the rest Bluetooth, bot alone, and as a bridge into my Sonos ecosystem. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I’ve now had two Sonos Roams and both have died on me (i.e. refuse to switch on) after less than 1.5 years. There is obviously a defect with this product as I see a lot of others have the same problem.

I’d like to hear from anyone who literally has been using a Roam for >1.5 years successfully. Or are you someone who has been using a Roam only to have it die on you <1.5 years?

Returned my preordered Roam as it never worked right. Unfortunately received another one as a gift recently and it is still a buggy POS, but maybe less so than the one I returned.

There was a thread recently where a user shared a support screen cap of a Sonos rep allegedly admitted they know there are Roam issues. I would never willingly buy one. 

I bought two at release, and a third later on.  They stay plugged in on, or sitting on charger, 99% of the time, on WiFi.  Rarely use for bluetooth.  I’ve had a few minor issues, but never failures or battery issues.

Personally I love their physical size in smaller spaces, but I really don’t need the battery.  I’d love it if they came out with a non-battery version.

My Roam was certified dead by Sonos support in May. In addition to the growing evidence here that this product was broadly defective, the corporate response to the evidence has been awful. While they agreed to replace my speaker, they have not honoured their promise. 3 months, many calls, and still no replacement. No explanation, just stalling. Why?

We have two Sonos Roams here, from early 2021, that are each still going strong. Wife and I use them most days. We do use the ‘Battery Saver’ feature & very rarely let the Li-ion batteries get so low that they power off the device. We have always used PD certified chargers, or the official Sonos Qi charger.

I really like the little speaker, they sound great, particularly when stereo paired, or grouped.

When we go ‘glamping’ in the camper, the speaker also makes a good TV speaker, linked over Bluetooth, to a FireStick TV. I will also add that they do bounce nicely when accidentally dropped and happily continue playing.😀 

Userlevel 7

I have been using the Roam for over two years and have not had any issues. The multi-function button is a bit unwieldy, but overall it has been a very good portable speaker. My wife loves it and uses it almost every day in the kitchen.

Userlevel 1

The number of threads here involving people experiencing issues with the Roam should answer your question.

I own three Roams - none of them operate as advertised.

The Roam is the only Sonos product out of dozens I’ve purchased that I’ve been ultimately disappointed with.

My Roam is part of a large system.  I have had it for 2 years and don’t use it regularly.  It has always been glitchy.  If I leave it on the Sonos wireless charger (an extra $50 I might add), it will discharge at some point.  I have better luck leaving it plugged in with a USB-C cable.  Right now it will not charge and is dead.  Too bad I cannot connect my 8 year old JBL Charge 3 and use it on my Sonos systems.  That thing can sit in a drawer for a year, plug it in and 3 hours later works great.  Come on Sonos.  You can do better.