Answered

Changed wifi password (did not change router), Sonos Move is now not compatible with my router.

• 13 September 2023
  • 7 replies

I changed my wifi password this morning, and went through each of my devices to ensure they were updated with the new password. My Sonos Move is proving to be the only device giving me any sort of headache.

I went through the process of changing the network password on the Sonos app. My speaker made the chiming noise, my app prompted me to enter the new password, I ensured the password was correct, but every time I get to the last step, I get an error saying “There was a problem connecting your Sonos Move to [insert wifi name]”. 

When I click on ‘More Information’, I am being instructed to change my router settings. This is the same router my speaker has been on for a year, and I haven’t changed any settings. The only thing that has changed is my wifi password.

What am I doing wrong?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 14 September 2023, 02:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Maybe the router is no longer set to ‘mixed mode’ and is not 802.11b/g/n compatible on the 2.4Ghz WiFi band,which is required for the Sonos Move setup,  or the router has been firmware upgraded to WPA3 security mode… i would just check thd WiFi network settings in the router’s configuration pages and if necessary, switch them to the mentioned requirements temporarily for setup. Once the device setup has taken place, then maybe switch the router settings back to their (now) default settings.

You may also find this link helpful…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/connect-sonos-to-a-new-router-or-wi-fi-network

If issues persist, then I would also reboot both the router and speaker and try again.

I guess I am just really at a loss as to how on the same day I decided to change my wifi password, the router decided to independently change its settings? That doesn’t really add up to me. To my knowledge, between last night and this morning, nothing has changed except the wifi password. I am on my routers management system and cannot find a way to change any of the settings you or the Sonos app are mentioning. I am thinking of just resetting my speaker at this point… 😔

It would probably be most expedient to reset (only) the MOVE. A more time consuming, but globally helpful strategy, would be to submit a diagnostic, then follow-up with phone support. For you the outcome will be the same, however, support (web and otherwise) is driven by the number of event calls and time spent to resolve. Each call is a “cost” and there is incentive to minimize costs. If enough calls are logged, the published instructions and available options will be improved.

I guess I am just really at a loss as to how on the same day I decided to change my wifi password, the router decided to independently change its settings? That doesn’t really add up to me. To my knowledge, between last night and this morning, nothing has changed except the wifi password. I am on my routers management system and cannot find a way to change any of the settings you or the Sonos app are mentioning. I am thinking of just resetting my speaker at this point… 😔

Maybe temporarily change the router back to the old password and then connect your mobile and Move to it… then goto the Sonos App "Settings/System/Network/Manage Networks" and select ‘Update Networks’ and scan/select the Move and change its Wifi network settings to the new credentials. Enter the cAsE SenSiTive password details carefully.

When done - switch the router WiFi back to the ‘new’ password and reconnect your mobile to it. Hopefully, all being well your Move will then have connected to your new WiFi credentials and will appear in your Sonos App. If not, then power OFF/ON the Move and it should connect to the new WiFi.🤞

Thank you Ken! I ultimately just did a factory reset and things went smoothly that way. But your suggestion makes sense!! 

This is really troubling.  My door locks adjusted without me having to do anything.  My roomba allowed me to simply change the password.  Apple TV allows me to do the same.  However, with the most expensive collection of pieces on my network, I have to reconnect it via an ethernet cable or temporarily change back to my old password?  This is crap!  

This is really troubling.  My door locks adjusted without me having to do anything.  My roomba allowed me to simply change the password.  Apple TV allows me to do the same.  However, with the most expensive collection of pieces on my network, I have to reconnect it via an ethernet cable or temporarily change back to my old password?  This is crap!  

Really? …I don’t see that requirement, perhaps see the various options outlined in the Sonos Support document link shown here -

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/connect-sonos-to-a-new-router-or-wi-fi-network

I’m quite often adding/changing new WiFi networks to my Sonos system and can’t recall a time when I needed to cable a speaker in order to do that🤔? It may make things a touch easier, but it’s not essential.