Answered

Cannot discover Sonos Move on new Wi-Fi network.

• 24 December 2022
  • 6 replies

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies

Hi. At home, my pair of Sonos Move work perfectly. At home I have some Amps, Beam+Sub, roam.

Now at a second house, I created a new setup with Sonos beam+Sub connected via Wi-Fi. When trying to add Sonos Move from Sonos App, system can not discover them. I reseted speakers, but nothing changed.

Has it something to do with the fact I does not have any wired Sonos device connected yet at second house? How should I proceed?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 24 December 2022, 14:41

View original

6 replies

This is a common situation and there is no “one size fits all” quickie suggestion. We need a bit of info. Do you tend to spend time at one or the other home, or are portions of your family simultaneously living in both houses and using the SONOS components?

Each SONOS system is known as a “Household” and a given unit can only be a member of a single Household. It is possible to have a Household split between multiple physical locations. A split Household is less hassle when shuttling units between homes, however, some music services will not allow simultaneous use at both homes. If you primarily use MOVE and ROAM as Bluetooth speakers at one or both of your homes, Household does not matter after initial setup because music is played directly over the Bluetooth link. Do you use the same WiFi credentials at both homes?

Don’t Factory Reset anything without further consult.

My personal choice would be to do this…

1. Setup each router to have the exact same SSID and password in the first & second Household.
  2. Setup all Sonos devices to work on the WiFi in the first Household.
  3. Take any speaker from Household-1 to Household-2 and power it ‘ON’
  4. Connect mobile controller to Household-2 WiFi Network and open the App to control any speaker now present at Household-2

An alternative is use different WiFi credentials at both Homes. In which case do the following instead…

1. Setup all Sonos devices to work on the WiFi in the first Household
  2. Setup a nearby mobile device Hotspot whilst at Household-1 that ‘mimics’ the SSID and Password of Household-2 and add that additional WiFi network/credentials to all speakers by following the instructions below:
  • Open the Sonos S2 app for iOS or Android.
  • From the Settings tab, press System > Network > Manage Networks.
  • Press Update Networks and follow the prompts to connect/add Sonos to your new Wi-Fi network. 
  • When complete switch off the mobile hotspot and reboot your speakers and check that the first and second WiFi networks are showing in the Sonos App network settings (see attached ‘example’ screenshot).
  1. Take any speaker from Household-1 to Household-2 and power it ‘ON’
  2. Connect mobile controller to Household-2 WiFi Network and open the App to control any speaker now present at Household-2

Just to also add the mobile hotspot mentioned in my post above cannot be running on the same mobile device as the S2 Sonos App - use an entirely separate mobile device for the WiFi hotspot.

Easiest method however, is to simply setup each router with the same WiFi SSID and password credentials. 

sonos move will be recognized on the network for a few hours and then disappear… this is a useless component

sonos move will be recognized on the network for a few hours and then disappear… this is a useless component

…or it might be asleep, or even an SSDP discovery issue, if multicast packets are not getting through from your mobile controller device to the network segment that your ‘Move’ is using.

I would first see if you can ‘ping’ the device across the LAN, or see if it’s connected to the local WiFi when it has disappeared from your Sonos App. If it’s not connected, then check if it’s asleep, or powered off. If it IS present on the LAN, then see if it can be seen by another controller device (if you have one available) linked to the same WiFi network, or just see what happens when you toggle off/on your existing mobile network connection to the LAN or switch between its WiFi bands.

Note, sometimes having multiple WiFi access points, extenders, power-line adapters etc. as part of the wired/wireless network setup, can also sometimes cause issues with multicast packets for device discovery. Some network switches may also cause problems too and to complicate things further, so can security software on mobile devices, such as VPN clients, Firewalls, MAC Spoofing, WiFi Calling etc; so you may need to explore quite a few things to get to the root-cause of your issue.

I don’t think this will prove to be an issue with your Sonos Move and I certainly would not jump to that conclusion until you have perhaps explored the other things briefly mentioned here.

In my experience MOVE has been a very robust network partner.