Can Sonos Move be saved?

• 11 February 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

Apologies for the long post.

Let me first tell you first what I like about Sonos. Sonos products sound good and the user interface is very good. But time spent struggling when things should just work is wasted time. This was not an issue with Sonos... until my Move started failing last November after less than 2 years of ownership. 

In November, my Move just stopped playing. I have no idea why. I tried to fix it myself, spent hours online, here on the forum and with support. I gave up a few times but persevered. In December, I got it to work. I can't tell you how many reboots of Move, the router, etc etc I did. Or why it came around when it did. 

Once it started working again, I played it a few times over the Holidays. Then I bought a different portable speaker and stopped using Move for a few months. A few days ago, I sent music to Move for the first time since December. The charger was unplugged and its battery had run out. Plugging in the charger did not bring the speaker to life. After a few hours of reboots, resets, etc. yesterday Move came to life again. 

This morning, with Move on its charger and the solid white light on I sent it music. Nothing. Zero. My Five in the next room played on perfectly without issue, as it has this entire time.

I am about to order a new soundbar. Had Move worked this morning I was ready to purchase an Arc. Now I am again considering putting my Sonos on eBay and just moving on. I will try Sonos phone support again next week but I’m just not confident this will have a happy ending. And I get tension headaches expecting to spend countless hours again playing whack-a-mole to get this fixed only to have it break soon after. 

I used to love and recommend Sonos all the time. That was when it just worked. And it did so for almost 10 years for me. Otherwise I wouldn’t have cared this much. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

We cannot rule out a hardware issue with MOVE, but you could also have a WiFi issue.

If MOVE’s battery has run down, it will not immediately restart when dropped on the charger. You need to at least partially charge the unit before it will start.

Submit a diagnostic, note the confirmation number and contact SONOS phone support.

As a general “good practice” detail I recommend not allowing any modern battery powered device to fully discharge. The devices will almost universally use Lithium batteries and Lithium batteries can suffer major degradation when fully discharged and many will permanently lock out if discharged too far. This is exactly opposite from the recommended charging approach for older NiCd batteries that was burned into our heads in a bygone era.

Badge

Thanks for your reply. I got a ticket yesterday when I spoke with Sonos and will follow up Monday. 

Move worked fine off the charger yesterday once it was working, and fine on the charger too. Today on the charger it lights up but no sound. 

Sonos 5, iPhone, work laptop, Bluesound, Roku, 2 TV’s and a Bose player all work on the network today without issue. It’s not the network.   

I think Move has just gone bad. I knew it was portable but didn’t expect it to be disposable. If true, it’s under 2 years from factory sealed to landfill. And out of warranty. Ouch.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for your reply. I got a ticket yesterday when I spoke with Sonos and will follow up Monday. 

Move worked fine off the charger yesterday once it was working, and fine on the charger too. Today on the charger it lights up but no sound. 

Sonos 5, iPhone, work laptop, Bluesound, Roku, 2 TV’s and a Bose player all work on the network today without issue. It’s not the network.   

I think Move has just gone bad. I knew it was portable but didn’t expect it to be disposable. If true, it’s under 2 years from factory sealed to landfill. And out of warranty. Ouch.

I had a similar issue with my Move in December and found that removing the Wi-Fi Credentials from the Sonos App (I use SonosNet for every other Sonos Device) and re-adding them sorted the issue, even though the credentials hadn’t changed.

Badge

That is very encouraging. I don’t know how to do that but will talk with support tomorrow. I hope it works for me. Would really like to put this behind me and buy the Sonos Arc.

Badge

I am pleased to report that when I tried Move again on Tuesday it just worked. And it worked agaiin today.  I didn’t change anything or move it anywhere since it failed me last week. This paves the way for more purchases in the near future. I’ve heard that 2 new speakers and likely a new Arc will be released in the coming months. Looking forward to more Sonos goodness.