alarm volume of grouped-in room

• 14 November 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge +3
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 19 replies

Finally got the RH speaker in a Roam stereo pair to come on with the LH one on alarm but now the volume is the same as the primary alarm volume whereas before it was the previously set volume for all grouped speakers.

Anyone know a workaround for this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @BobP 

Thanks for your post!

I don’t quite understand - you don’t want the volumes of the two paired speakers to be the same? Two speakers in a stereo pair will always be the same volume, and when an alarm is set to play, the pair will play the alarm at the volume set in the alarm’s settings, so this all sounds like expected behaviour to me - there won’t be work-around, other than to not have the two Roams stereo-paired in the first place.

If I’ve misunderstood, please elaborate. Thank you.

I hope this helps.

Badge +3

Hi Corry, we have the alarm st to volume 14 for the stereo pair of Play 1’s in the bedroom but always have ‘include grouped speaker’ ticked to that the stereo pair of Roam's come on in the kitchen too.

Until recently I had been battling with the RH speaker not starting on alarms but hardwired access points and a factory reset to both speaker has dealt with this.

However, previously the LH Roam come on at the volume it had last been played at but now both L & R speakers come on at level 14 which is so quite it’s barely audible.

IMO it is more logical and helpful for grouped speakers to revert to their last played volume.

Hoping you can solve this remaining issue as with the new hardwired access points most other problemas seem to have gone...

@BobP 
The grouped room (the ‘Kitchen’ Roam pair, in this instance) will play at the same volume (14%) that you have set in your Alarm on the Bedroom Play:1’s…

There is one way I know to get around this issue that exists already …and that is to use a 3rd-party iOS App called ‘Soro’ - it’s not free and I’m not affiliated to the App, other than I use it myself. It will allow you to set the volume-level of the Kitchen Roam pair to a chosen schedule - so you can increase their volume 1 minute (as an exampleafter the alarm playback begins, setting the Roam pair to any new volume you prefer, leaving your bedroom Play:1’s still playing at 14%.

The App mentioned is an iOS shortcuts plugin App - so there’s a small learning curve to begin using it, but there are plenty of helpful examples, videos and documentation online to help get you started. 

Hope that assists.

Badge +3

Thank you Ken but we don't own any Apple devices nr want to use external apps to fix something Sonos should deal with - the ability to control device volumes independently is already there so a fix should be very simple. KR Bob

Thank you Ken but we don't own any Apple devices nr want to use external apps to fix something Sonos should deal with - the ability to control device volumes independently is already there so a fix should be very simple. KR Bob

My personal guess is Sonos will have probably researched this previously and perhaps found the majority of their customers want their alarm set at the same volume across all grouped rooms… I presume though, that this will get put through as a "feature request" by Staff.

That said, I think there might need to be more demand for it however, before it ever gets implemented. It’s not something I’ve seen frequently requested in this user-community and there’s much more demand for a good many other features that may cause this one to be set further down the priority list.

You perhaps might find it easier to implement two separate, but near-identical, alarms instead, particularly as the speakers are actually located separately in different physical rooms.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @BobP 

Thanks - that makes more sense now!

I couldn’t really put things better than @Ken_Griffiths has above.

I've marked this thread as a feature request and it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration.

Hello

I think I may have a similar issue, have a mixture of 13 Sonos products from some years back running off the original app. They are Play 5’s’ Play 1’s and Connect Amps.

I’m really happy with my set up apart from one room, it is a connect amp driving 2 shelf speakers. About 8 sonos products are grouped for the morning alarm and this  particular connect amp volume is too low. 

I can happily alter the volume for that room from the app but I can’t seem to adjust the individual volume for the alarm, it takes manual intervention to adjust the volume up every morning.

My question is can I preset the volume for that room so that it matches the others? The other Connect amps in the Alarm Group drive ceiling speakers and the volume is perfect.

The problem with separate alarms is the noticeable lag 

I hope I’ve explained myself & look forward to any advice that may shine some light on this.

Best

Hello

I think I may have a similar issue, have a mixture of 13 Sonos products from some years back running off the original app. They are Play 5’s’ Play 1’s and Connect Amps.

I’m really happy with my set up apart from one room, it is a connect amp driving 2 shelf speakers. About 8 sonos products are grouped for the morning alarm and this  particular connect amp volume is too low. 

I can happily alter the volume for that room from the app but I can’t seem to adjust the individual volume for the alarm, it takes manual intervention to adjust the volume up every morning.

My question is can I preset the volume for that room so that it matches the others? The other Connect amps in the Alarm Group drive ceiling speakers and the volume is perfect.

The problem with separate alarms is the noticeable lag 

I hope I’ve explained myself & look forward to any advice that may shine some light on this.

Best

The only way I can think to resolve your issue is if you use an iOS device as your Sonos controller. There is a 3rd-party app called ‘Soro’ - it’s an Apple shortcuts-plugin that uses the Sonos API and it can set a Sonos Alarm to a schedule and then immediately after it activates, it will adjust the volume of any Sonos product in the group, which is what I think you’re looking for here.. I’ve just created a mock-up example of what it would perhaps look like in that App - it also caters for a few seconds delay between the action of activating the Alarm and then adjusting the volume of a single room in the group. See attached image…