Skip to main content

Wirecutter no longer recommends Sonos as top

Dunno maybe Wirecutter should fix their network, reboot, get a new mesh system.
I’m having no issues with the app, must be them. 🤣 

But in all (not) seriousness this is very brave of them 🤣

Will be interesting to see what they recommend when they finish redoing the article. 

Quote, emphasis mine:

We are completely re-envisioning this guide and will no longer recommend the Sonos multiroom audio platform as the best overall choice. Please see our note at the top of the guide for more details.

After careful consideration, we no longer recommend the Sonos multiroom audio platform as the best overall choice. Sonos recently rolled out a major update to its control app that had a ton of problems, leaving its customers with a much less intuitive experience than they had before. While the company is slowly addressing some of the major issues with the new app, this is not the first time Sonos has hurt customer trust through poorly executed changes.

That said, Sonos still makes great speakers that work well within other wireless control platforms like AirPlay, Spotify Connect, and (in some cases) Bluetooth. So we are not discounting Sonos products entirely. We just no longer hold up the company’s own ecosystem as the best way to interact with the system.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/sonos-player/

46 replies

Userlevel 1

Unfortunately, I agree.

I have been a strong supporter of Sonos and have two large systems with more than 40 speakers.  Doesn’t really matter how good the speakers are if you can’t access them on the app or the other myriad of problems I have experienced over the last year.   

The lack of diagnostics available to the end user to find out what is wrong with the system and the constant bugs has caused me to have to apologize to people that have made serious investments in Sonos on my recommendations.  

Hopefully there will be new leadership that is more interested in making the system work rather than chasing new features.  Frankly it has been very embarrassing. 

Now I can just say it is great when it works.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I agree..wish I’d never bought Sonos..use to recommend it…not anymore.

I went with a competitor when I expanded my system with a prime day deal 🤷 no issues with the app 😭 works great and have a few different ways to integrate with my other speakers 

I’ll probably consider Sonos in the future for purchase if they fix the system and it’s the best product for my needs but that’s definitely not the case atm. 

That said, Sonos still makes great speakers that work well within other wireless control platforms like AirPlay, Spotify Connect, and (in some cases) Bluetooth. So we are not discounting Sonos products entirely. We just no longer hold up the company’s own ecosystem as the best way to interact with the system.

I have been saying exactly this here since June 2020 and have been getting flamed for that. As, more recently, has also happened with my vocal support for S1, having stayed on S1 since 2020.

The app is just a remote control for a home audio system, that has taken front place now, ahead of the speakers and allied hardware. Quite ridiculous, and something that can happen only in the first world.

Edit: I should also add that SMB Version 1 continues to work fine for my NAS play using S1. I rarely use that route now though because iPhone triggered Spotify Connect casting to Echo Shows hard wired in turn to Sonos gives me the benefit of album art for music that is playing. 

And at the risk of again irritating @Bumper ! : My 5 zone system has continued to play flawlessly every day for the last couple of years since I finished ethernet wiring all zones, using S1. Including, obviously, for every day through this Sonos induced trauma for the user base in general. With every feature present and working as it should.

Userlevel 1

And at the risk of again irritating @Bumper ! : My 5 zone system has continued to play flawlessly every day for the last couple of years since I finished ethernet wiring all zones, using S1. Including, obviously, for every day through this Sonos induced trauma for the user base in general. With every feature present and working as it should.

The whole idea behind sonos was a wireless hifi system that worked because it was designed to be wirless.  Bragging about your wired system is like saying you like your electric car now that you have installed a gas generator in the back seat to keep it charged while you are driving.  

Wiring moved uptime from 99 or so % to 100%. Worth it in my book, that change. Using line in creates more stress on the wireless. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Unfortunately, I have to agree. My Sonos surround system has been giving me a lot of trouble—at this point, the Arc is the only component still functioning properly. I’ve been patient, hoping Sonos would address the issues with the app, but I’ve finally given up. As I search for a new surround system for a different TV/room, Sonos isn’t even in consideration. It’s disappointing to see how they’ve gone from delivering an outstanding customer experience to one of the worst.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Unfortunately, I have to agree. My Sonos surround system has been giving me a lot of trouble—at this point, the Arc is the only component still functioning properly. I’ve been patient, hoping Sonos would address the issues with the app, but I’ve finally given up. As I search for a new surround system for a different TV/room, Sonos isn’t even in consideration. It’s disappointing to see how they’ve gone from delivering an outstanding customer experience to one of the worst.

Update: I just finished a 3-hour call with support, but unfortunately, they couldn’t resolve the issues with my surround system. It feels like they’re using customers as beta testers for their app.

Update: I just finished a 3-hour call with support, but unfortunately, they couldn’t resolve the issues with my surround system. It feels like they’re using customers as beta testers for their app.

I have the Arc, surrounds and Sub (gen3) and it’s working fine here - is the issue the TV, as the HT receives the signal from the TV over HDMI/Optical wired link and the communication to the surrounds & sub is over an ad-hoc wireless connection, rather than the local WiFi network? - assuming you’re not using wired connections.

You shouldn't even need the Sonos App once the configuration is in place.

If the devices are not getting their IP addresses (proxied via the Arc) then try SonosNet mode and if that doesn’t work, I’d consider changing the local router anyway… if that’s perhaps where your issues lie.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have the Arc, surrounds and Sub (gen3) and it’s working fine here - is the issue the TV, as the HT receives the signal from the TV over HDMI/Optical wired link and the communication to the surrounds & sub is over an ad-hoc wireless connection, rather than the local WiFi network? - assuming you’re not using wired connections.

You shouldn't even need the Sonos App once the configuration is in place.

If the devices are not getting their IP addresses (proxied via the Arc) then try SonosNet mode and if that doesn’t work, I’d consider changing the local router anyway… if that’s perhaps where your issues lie.

My system worked fine for several years, with no changes to the TV (Sony) or Router (Asus). Since the new app, the various Sonos components can no longer form a surround system. As mentioned, even Sonos support could not figure it out yet.

My system worked fine for several years, with no changes to the TV (Sony) or Router (Asus). Since the new app, the various Sonos components can no longer form a surround system. As mentioned, even Sonos support could not figure it out yet.

So was it an IP address proxy issue? - did you (or the Sonos Staff) check to see if SonosNet mode worked for you and perhaps resolved the issue?

@hilander911 
Here’s a ‘common’ fix for some Asus router too - see if perhaps applies in your case:

• Under Advanced Settings, click LAN.
  • Select the IPTV tab.
  • Enable Multicast Routing (IGMP Proxy) and Efficient Multicast Forwarding (IGMP Snooping.)
  • Go back to Advanced Settings, and click Wireless.
  • Select the Professional tab.
  • Enable IGMP Snooping.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4

duplicate post removed …

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Loosing credibility of reliable app

I am using SONOS from around 7-8 years. I was impressed by the reliability of the app and the sound of speakers. I have recommended the system to many of my friends. However from two months after major upgrade (?) Sonos didn't left any chance to shatter my confidence on its app.

There are various issues in current version like trueplay and spatial audio disabling automatically, unable to access music library many times, no way to add dongs to playlist, sonos playlist missing many times, sluggish while accessing local albums, no search option by category like artist/song/ etc. its a genuine downgrade. Keeps refreshing when open app, Releasing app without completely testing was a big blunder !!!

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

And this is the exact scenario where Sonos have messed up the most. Sony as a manufacturer are better than many at adhering to standards and addressing issues with firmware. While I know people will try all manner of stuff to get their system ‘back’, why on earth should they have to jump through hoops just to undo what Sonos have inflicted on them or buy a new router when the only thing that no longer works is thing that changed most, Sonos…  

If the new app/firmware requires specific stuff to be done on many home networks then why don’t Sonos know and tell people. If the new app/firmware breaks stuff, but with a set of easy to follow instructions you can fix it, why not publish it? 

The only reasonable conclusion is that Sonos need to fix their ecosystem, and if they can’t do that in a reasonable timeframe, allow users to go back to the pre-new app controller/firmware so they can get back to using what they paid for. It’s not rocket science, it’s consumer electronics. 

And this is the exact scenario where Sonos have messed up the most. Sony as a manufacturer are better than many at adhering to standards and addressing issues with firmware. While I know people will try all manner of stuff to get their system ‘back’, why on earth should they have to jump through hoops just to undo what Sonos have inflicted on them or buy a new router when the only thing that no longer works is thing that changed most, Sonos…  

If the new app/firmware requires specific stuff to be done on many home networks then why don’t Sonos know and tell people. If the new app/firmware breaks stuff, but with a set of easy to follow instructions you can fix it, why not publish it? 

The only reasonable conclusion is that Sonos need to fix their ecosystem, and if they can’t do that in a reasonable timeframe, allow users to go back to the pre-new app controller/firmware so they can get back to using what they paid for. It’s not rocket science, it’s consumer electronics. 

The thing with some Asus routers is they (unlike the majority) have things around multicasting disabled, the ‘common’ fix is to see if the below is required for the router, as ‘widely’ mentioned in the community here - below is copied/pasted from another thread. So if it’s wrong, please don’t shoot me…

• Under Advanced Settings, click LAN.
  • Select the IPTV tab.
  • Enable Multicast Routing (IGMP Proxy) and Efficient Multicast Forwarding (IGMP Snooping.)
  • Go back to Advanced Settings, and click Wireless.
  • Select the Professional tab.
  • Enable IGMP Snooping.

Another router that springs to mind is Unifi and in their case the manufacturer themselves have added some instructions on their website to help prevent network loops. See link below:

https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/18930473041047-Best-Practices-for-Sonos-Devices

Not sure how Sonos can force these manufacturers to change things to have them support multicast discovery or prevent network issues and there’s other network hardware too, such as switches. that may need a settings change. Fortunately these things are by-far in the minority, but I would not rule out a network issue in some cases, as not everything may work straight out the box and it’s good to keep an eye on the Sonos System Requirements and Controller Requirements aswell, as things can and do change from time to time, as is often the case with 3rd-party hardware on the local network too. 

My WiFi mesh hubs have received at least two automatic updates so far this year, just as an example.

It’s not rocket science, it’s consumer electronics. 

It gets to be rocket science when one tries to repurpose what is essentially an audio system remote control into a wizarding wand. 

And why Sonos cannot roll back the firmware on all its speakers to a 30th April version and bring back S2 from that time remains a mystery.

It’s not rocket science, it’s consumer electronics. 

It gets to be rocket science when one tried to repurpose what is essentially an audio system remote control into a wizarding wand. 

And why Sonos cannot roll back the firmware on all its speakers to a 30th April version and bring back S2 from that time remains a mystery.

Maybe Sonos didn’t want to ‘split’ the system into S2 & Sonos App, because people strongly complained about such a split last time around, just as a thought🤔?

Maybe Sonos didn’t want to ‘split’ the system into S2 & Sonos App, because people strongly complained about such a split last time around, just as a thought🤔?

If it was as simple as this, by now they would have taken the chance on those complaints as against the firestorm that continues for 4 months now. And any such split would not be a permanent one as the S1/S2 was; it would not be needed once the new app was made fully fit for purpose.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

@Ken_Griffiths I can see where you are coming from and it would be curious if those settings are only needing changing now.

When first adding Sonos to a network it would make sense, as the router could impact all multicast for any device, not just Sonos. When the system has been working already for a long period of time it seems unusual they would only just be required, but who knows what is going on inside the Asus router 😀

Asus have changed the wording and phrasing in their current routers and provide instructions for IPTV setup with images showing where the settings can currently be found and their names.

https://www.asus.com/uk/support/faq/1011708/

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Another router that springs to mind is Unifi and in their case the manufacturer themselves have added some instructions on their website to help prevent network loops. See link below:

https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/18930473041047-Best-Practices-for-Sonos-Devices

Not sure how Sonos can force these manufacturers to change things to have them support multicast discovery or prevent network issues and there’s other network hardware too, such as switches. that may need a settings change. Fortunately these things are by-far in the minority, but I would not rule out a network issue in some cases, as not everything may work straight out the box and it’s good to keep an eye on the Sonos System Requirements and Controller Requirements aswell, as things can and do change from time to time, as is often the case with 3rd-party hardware on the local network too. 

My WiFi mesh hubs have received at least two automatic updates so far this year, just as an example.

Unifi are in a curious position as they don’t target the home market with their products, but are aware people are buying them for home use. They are still really aimed at commercial and large scale projects, with an expectation that the buyer/installer understands how to configure them imo.

The pricing of their products makes them competitive price wise when compared with mesh systems. Unfortunately when people ask for advice about products online, unifi are regularly recommended in places with a higher ratio of technical to non-technical users.

To their credit unifi do publish articles for common issues people run across as more of their products are ending up in the consumer market.

It is not for Sonos to force network manufacturers to enable or disable specific features, in many commercial environments the requirements for the network are different to a simple home network.

Neither of those Sonos articles make mention of a network requirement for multicast or igmp snooping, only STP on wired setups.

The usage of home networks has changed over the years, huge increases in streaming, broadcasters moving to IPTV delivery only with IPTV set top boxes.

It isn’t realistic for Sonos to test every combination of their products with different manufacturers, but at the same time consumers buying prosumer and commercial networking equipment need to learn and understand how to set it up.

Where common combinations start appearing, such as unifi, both unifi and Sonos can help users with appropriate support documents. It is in both the companies and buyers interest as it helps reduce support volumes.

If it was as simple as this, by now they would have taken the chance on those complaints as against the firestorm that continues for 4 months now. And any such split would not be a permanent one as the S1/S2 was; it would not be needed once the new app was made fully fit for purpose.

Yeah I guess so - but the water is under the bridge now and it seems that a ‘point of no return’ has already passed. By all accounts, there’s just no going back to S2, presumably due to the combined changes that have taken place in firmware, software and the Sonos cloud infrastructure.

It appears it’s now a case of ploughing forward until all the software issues are resolved. At least that’s what seems to be the position and I don’t see anything changing the Sonos plan from all the things I’ve read online and mentioned here in the community. We’ll just have to wait and see how it all pans out. 

Admittedly, I’ve not seen that much change with the (still excellent) Sonos hardware, in terms of playback/control outside of the Sonos App itself. I’ve always been able to use AirPlay, line-in, direct control, UPnP/DLNA, Bluetooth,  SVC/Alexa voice services and 3rd-Party Apps (eg. Soro etc.) for audio playback/control - but I guess there’s all the system setup requirements and administration features too when it comes to the Sonos App - so perhaps a lot has changed there that’s stopping the re-release of S2. Even Trueplay has altered and seems quicker in the new Sonos App. 

Anyhow it seems it’s now a case of ’all change’ and that S2 has gone for good.

@Ken_Griffiths I can see where you are coming from and it would be curious if those settings are only needing changing now.

When first adding Sonos to a network it would make sense, as the router could impact all multicast for any device, not just Sonos. When the system has been working already for a long period of time it seems unusual they would only just be required, but who knows what is going on inside the Asus router 😀

Asus have changed the wording and phrasing in their current routers and provide instructions for IPTV setup with images showing where the settings can currently be found and their names.

https://www.asus.com/uk/support/faq/1011708/

No, I do agree with what you mention @sigh. However in some instances in the community here, I have come across users pointing their finger at the Sonos App for audio playback interruptions and tracks stopping playing or skipping etc. In some of those cases, I may have access to the same music service/playlist and either identical, or similar, sonos hardware and the tracks/playlist will play without issue here. So there’s ’likely’ a local issue involved in some reports here.

If I suggest trying some things to perhaps try to help resolve matters, such as changing WiFi channels or channel-width, or moving a device, rebooting the router etc. then I sometimes get… "It worked before the switch to the new Sonos App” and what I was eluding to, is that some things in a local network may coincidentally change too, particularly WiFi channels or even firmware updates to devices on the network that may give rise to some problems seen. 

Not everything is going to be caused by the Sonos App, which clearly works okay for some users, (myself included). I’m just suggesting that users perhaps don’t sit back hoping one day that a Sonos App update might fix things, when there might perhaps be another solution nearby that might solve their problem now, straightaway.