Judge tosses out $32.5 million fine against Google in Sonos lawsuit

• 10 October 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Link

Google has successfully convinced a California federal judge that it did not infringe on Sonos' multi-room audio patents. As Reuters reports, US District Judge William Alsup has thrown out a previous verdict that slapped the tech giant with a $32.5 million fine for infringing on patents held by Sonos related to managing groups of speakers.

The judge explained that Sonos' patents for the lawsuit "ostensibly descended from [a] 2006 provisional application." However, the company apparently didn't file the applications for the patents in question until 2019, and it didn't roll out the technology to its own products until 2020. That's years after Google, in 2014, presented Sonos with a plan to use multi-room audio technology while exploring a collaboration.

Maybe we can get Chromecast on Sonos now, or Google Assistant on new speakers :) (JOKING)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

You didn’t read to the end.

In a statement, a Sonos spokesperson told Reuters that the new ruling was "wrong on both the facts and the law." Based on that, Sonos is clearly not going to accept the newer verdict: The spokesperson said that the company is planning to appeal the decision.

While I don’t think the decision to exclude Chromecast, which Sonos has never had, and GA on new speakers, which was tied to the changes Google made to GA integrations, is directly related to this case, this decision doesn’t appear to be the end of the legal battles. While Sonos is perhaps losing money on this with legal fees, it’s become a PR issue that they perhaps don’t feel like they can just walk away from.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

The smiley face means I’m joking. I guess you didn’t comprehend what this means. Of course sonos won’t be getting CC, Google would probably kill it before putting this on sonos speakers. And of course Sonos will appeal. I’ve edited my post to say JOKING so there is no misunderstanding on your part.

The smiley face means I’m joking. I guess you didn’t comprehend what this means. Of course sonos won’t be getting CC, Google would probably kill it before putting this on sonos speakers. And of course Sonos will appeal. I’ve edited my post to say JOKING so there is no misunderstanding on your part.

Yea, I’m not up on all the latest trends, but I’ve always understood a smiley face to mean you’re happy.  Not necessarily joking.  “/s”  is what I’ve seen when posters want readers to know that their post is sarcasm. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

OK I can see why you might think that. I forget that people post here and seriously think they should be able to group their google speakers with sonos or chromecast and that Sonos is the problem or whatever.

Besides Sonos appeal, Google still has their counter suite against Sonos. This isn’t even close to being over.

Userlevel 7

@Bumper  @melvimbe 

I guess I’ll have to take both of you to task for your use of imogi. The following has always meant joking or sarcasm “ LOL” or “LMAO” or  😂 or 🤣. There are probably others.’

Now git wif it! 🤣

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I feel shame 🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sadly I still type mine.  :-(