Using a Turntable with Sonos

Show first post

164 replies

Badge
Perhaps if you were to read the article that you quoted in full.

Being that, the article is at least a year old, doesn’t answer the question and, technology tends to...you know...progress, it’s a valid question.

But, thanks for the useful response.
Given that technology does advance, the simple fact is that the data in that article is still valid. And based on the data in that article, you'll find that without additional hardware, there is no way for your system to connect to a turntable.
Open the Sonos app on your phone or tablet. Go to the Browse Menu and select Line-In. Choose the source of your music. Then press Play Now and the record playing on your turntable will start up.
That won’t assist mikegoldnj above though, as he doesn’t have a line-in to connect to, as Bruce was suggesting, he will still need some further hardware, like a Connect, or a Play:5 for example.
I have my original Rega Planar connected in through a pre-amp to my new Sonos Play 5. All working ok but quality not as good as I would have thought, so I started playing through my Sonos 1 stereo pair and only one speaker is playing. Streamed music, radio works fine as stereo pair through the two Sonos 1s. That might explain why Play 5 sounds not as good as I thought it would i.e. it appears to be playing in mono. Any ideas or thought appreciated.
Please ignore last post have played around with connectors from pre-amp to Sonos 5 and was a faulty connection. Duh!
I just bought the Debut Carbon from Sonos as well as a pair of Play5s. From what I’m seeing and reading, it doesn’t look like you can hook the two Play5s up to the TT without another piece, is that correct? What’s the easiest way to accomplish this?
I just bought the Debut Carbon from Sonos as well as a pair of Play5s. From what I’m seeing and reading, it doesn’t look like you can hook the two Play5s up to the TT without another piece, is that correct? What’s the easiest way to accomplish this?You don't need anything else. Just wire to one of the Play:5 line-in jacks. That turntable has a built-in phono preamp. Make sure it's enabled.
But I am trying to use both Play5s with the TT, not just the 1. Is that possible?
But I am trying to use both Play5s with the TT, not just the 1. Is that possible?You make a stereo pair of the Play:5s. You select the Line-In on whichever Play:5 the TT is wired to. The sound plays on both.
Now that Sonos supports Google Assistant, is it possible to stream a turntable to Google speakers as well as Sonos speakers?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Now that Sonos supports Google Assistant, is it possible to stream a turntable to Google speakers as well as Sonos speakers?
No, not at the moment. Not sure if this would ever be possible either. You currently cannot share the same stream to google/alexa with your Sonos speakers.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

advice please! I am looking to buy a Audio Technica AT-LP120 turntable with built in preamp ... I have a playbar, subwoofer and two Play 1s, all via the Sonos Bridge .. .is there a way to hook the turntable up to my set up, without paying £350 for a Connect? can I not connect the turntable to the Bridge? thanks for any advice!No, you'll need a Sonos device with Line-In capability which means getting a CONNECT, a PLAY:5, or a CONNECT:AMP.

Yes, there is a way. I wrote this instructable describing how to do it using a Raspberry Pi...
https://www.instructables.com/id/Add-Aux-to-Sonos-Using-Raspberry-Pi/
code:
Hello, 
My boyfriend has a Sonos One Gen2. This week he bought a Sonos Port to connect a Pro-Ject Debut III. Unfortunately this does not work as belonging, the sound is not optimal and very quiet. The Sonos One is at the height level of volume. The volume is also at the highest on the Sonos app. Can someone help me to solve the problem?
Unless you have the Recordmaster model, the Debut line lacks a phono pre-amp stage that is necessary for use with Sonos. No pre-amp will result in the distorted sound at a low level that you are experiencing. Of the current Pro-Ject lineup, the Essentials III line has an Essentials III Phono model that includes a built-in pre-amp. For any model without a built-in phono pre-amp, you can purchase an external phono pre-amp..