Answered

Start a radio from the YouTube Music song search results

• 23 March 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

I’m using Youtube Music as my music provider.

When I use the search functionality in the Sonos app I want to be able to start a radio from a given song in the song results.

Currently I don’t have a way to do this and forces me to rely on playlists (I don’t do playlists, I want fully automated playlists based on my musical tastes and the song I’m asking to play) or cast from Google Play Music.

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 24 March 2020, 20:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

@chuckvvd Thank you for bringing your question to the Sonos Community. Please let us know if this feature works when you are using TuneIn or Google Play music. Does this feature you are trying to use work from the YouTube app? Can you play stations in Sonos app from your YouTube account?

Please follow up here with that information as this may be a feature request for our engineers, as well as for YouTube’s.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@chuckvvd Thank you for bringing your question to the Sonos Community. Please let us know if this feature works when you are using TuneIn or Google Play music. Does this feature you are trying to use work from the YouTube app? Can you play stations in Sonos app from your YouTube account?

Please follow up here with that information as this may be a feature request for our engineers, as well as for YouTube’s.

Thank you, what I call a “radio” is a smart infinite playlist starting with a song I choose, or based on an artist. I can do this in the Google Play Music app or the YouTube Music app, but NOT from the Sonos app.

What I would like is: 

1. From the sonos app, I search for a song (or an artist)
  2. From the 3 dots menu next to the search result I’m interested in, have the option to “start radio”
  3. Result: Sonos replaces the existing queue with this smart radio powered by Youtube Music.

Thanks! 

@chuckvvd Thank you for the follow up information. This is a great feature request to present to our engineers and suspect that other users would want it as well. I will pass this request up the chain to our engineering team.

Please feel free to reach out to the Community with future questions, troubleshooting needs or feature requests.

Thank you, what I call a “radio” is a smart infinite playlist starting with a song I choose, or based on an artist. I can do this in the Google Play Music app or the YouTube Music app, but NOT from the Sonos app.

What I would like is: 

1. From the sonos app, I search for a song (or an artist)
  2. From the 3 dots menu next to the search result I’m interested in, have the option to “start radio”
  3. Result: Sonos replaces the existing queue with this smart radio powered by Youtube Music.

Thanks! 

You can do this with Google Play Music in Sonos but not YouTube Music. Search for your song and click the three dot menu; as you scroll through the options, Start Radio will be one.

It would be great to have this available for YouTube Music as well. It's a feature of the YouTube Music app but is missing in Sonos. Google ultimately plans on replacing Play Music with YouTube Music.

Note that if it works on one streamer, and not in a second one, that means the second streamer hasn’t fully implemented the API provided by Sonos. You may want to direct your concerns to YouTube directly. 

Wanted to add another request for this feature. It works for Google Play Music but not for Youtube Music.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Another request for Google, who really don’t seem to care about their YTM SAMPI service right now, so good luck with that.

If you want to encourage Google to implement the “Start radio” feature for YouTube Music on Sonos, please upvote that feature request on the YouTube Music forum. That request is in this thread:

https://support.google.com/youtubemusic/thread/70225635?hl=en&msgid=82745822