Answered

Apple music library not updating in Sonos app

• 10 November 2020
  • 17 replies

When I add new music to my Apple Music library, it doesn’t show up in my Sonos app. It’s been 24 hours and still nothing.

icon

Best answer by Billy73 11 November 2020, 15:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Yes, I have this too. It has been 3-4 days. I have tried to reauthorise, but this does not work.

I have removed my Apple Music account from Sonos, and reinstalled. As well as reauthorized my Apple Music account in Sonos. I’ve even removed the music from my Apple Music library and re-added it, to maybe trigger a refresh in Sonos. None have worked. 

So many problems with the Sonos app.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi folks, thank you for reaching us to the Sonos community, and appreciate you for bringing this concern to us. Let me help you with this.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate the patience and understanding. This issue has been reported to Apple but we don't have any further information to share. It may look like that this is a Sonos issue but the cause is an Apple's end (Apple pushes what is displayed on Sonos). We recommend contacting Apple support to further assist you with this.

Try to search for a particular album within Apple Music > My Music on Sonos app. You should be able to see the album in your library and play it.

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions. You're always welcome here.

Thanks Rowena, but that is not correct. None of the individual tracks that I have added to My Library in Apple Music are appearing anywhere, in My Music or elsewhere.

They are, however, appearing in the Apple Music application on my iPhone.

I don’t really understand why you are suggesting the problem is with Apple? Is the suggestion that the Apple API has retained a point in time version of my library that it is supplying to Sonos?

As you’ll appreciate, I’ve spent invested a great deal in my various Sonos devices, not being able to access the new music I add is highly significant, and being referred to Apple support isn’t the right answer here. How do I escalate this within Sonos please?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Billy73, thank you for your response. We appreciate you for sharing your feedback. We’re sorry your experience didn’t match your expectations.

We really appreciate the time and effort you've spent in resolving this issue, it would be best for you to continue working with us over the phone to expedite the process. I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care support to perform further troubleshooting and to do some tests on the Sonos app with Apple Music service to isolate the issue to provide the best option for you.

If you have any questions about this. We and the community are always here to help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I don’t really understand why you are suggesting the problem is with Apple? Is the suggestion that the Apple API has retained a point in time version of my library that it is supplying to Sonos?

Apple provide all the content for their service to the Sonos app via their SMAPI endpoint. Sonos do not magically have access to your music database that is held on the Apple servers, only Apple do. Whatever your problem is (sounds like a caching error to me), it is Apple’s problem to fix.

The problem has now resolved itself.

Re: the SMAPI endpoint stuff, makes sense, I guess I don’t fully understand the efficiencies of maintaining a separate cached index of my library for this endpoint, versus the live version of that I can see via the Apple Music app, which is up to date.

I don’t think I have any other applications using that endpoint to check, I could maybe test with the Alexa integration.

Still have the problem here. Spoke to Apple support for 30 minutes and they weren’t seeing any problems on their end.

@Rowena B. looks like it’s on you guys

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @lomango, thank you for your response and for sharing your feedback with us. We really appreciate the time and effort you've spent on this, it would be best for you to continue working with us over the phone to expedite the process. I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care support to perform further troubleshooting and to do some tests on the Sonos app with Apple Music service to isolate the issue to provide the best option for you. If you have any questions about this. We and the community are always here to help.

What’s weird is that this suddenly started working again for me - and then stopped again! For three days, the Recently Added list for my Apple Music stopped adding any further albums on Sonos, no matter what radical measures I took. And then new album additions started reappearing, totally out of the blue. After another day they then stopped updating again, so no further additions appeared. It’s all very odd. To be honest, I’m getting around the issue for now by just playing my Apple Music to Sonos via the Sonos devices I own that have AirPlay, then grouping these if necessary with those that don’t. It’s not ideal, and it shouldn’t have to be this way, but if I know the Recently Added list will eventually update itself when it feels in the mood then I guess I can live with it in the short term. 

Apple killed the .xml file when it killed iTunes. My playlists will not update on Sonos since Apple killed iTunes and the library.xml file. How do I update/import apple playlists to Sonos now? Do I have to pay for Apple Music? If so, how do I import? If not, what is the workaround? Where are the playlists stored now on Music if there is no .xml file?

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @philipjhayes, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. Let me share some information with you.

Sonos can import playlists from the Music app on macOS as well as the iTunes app on macOS and Windows by reading the app’s music library XML file. Additionally, Sonos supports M3U, WPL, and PLS playlist files created with software like WinAmp and Windows Media Player. If your playlist is saved in another format, Sonos cannot import it into your music library.

To help you out with this, allow me to ask a few questions to isolate the issue.

1. Any update or changes you made recently with your network?
  2. Are you getting an error message when you tried to play music? What’s the error message?
  3. Is your music stored on your computer or NAS drive?
  4. Have you tried removing and re-adding your music library?
  5. Have you tried updating your music library?
  6. Have you configured your macOS firewall/Windows PC to work with Sonos? 
  7. Do you have an antivirus installed? You may need to check the firewall configuration settings to ensure that it's not blocking Sonos.

Please run a diagnostic from your MacBook and reply back with the confirmation number for us to check. This will allow us to see how your system is functioning, and help provide a resolution. We'll wait for your reply.

my support diagnostic # is 1741457546

Rowena I sent a long reply but don’t see it here?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @philipjhayes

Thanks for your response and for submitting the diagnostic. 

Upon checking, the errors in the report are network-related issues, there's wireless interference was detected in your SonosNet mode and it's caused by poor wireless conditions. Also, the report shows audio dropout due to sync errors, an audio playback failure in some of your speakers. These errors would cause audio issues.

You may perform the following steps to address the issue mentioned above.

• Sequential reboot to refresh your network and all your Sonos devices connection.
    • Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
    • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
    • Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
    • When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.
    • Check the status lights on your Sonos speakers, they should have solid white light an indicator that your Sonos is connected.
  • Change the wireless channel on the Sonos app
    • Settings > System > Network > Networks > SonosNet Channel > Set it to 6

About your music library, the .xml file is stored on your iTunes folder. At this point, I would recommend contacting our phone support to remotely access your Mac, to locate the .xml file, and help you update your music library.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you.

Yes, I know where the .xml file is. The problem is that Apple Music no longer creates an .xml file. It does not update the .xml file. iTunes did. Apple Music does not. I do not know where they are keeping the playlists in Apple Music (so I can point Sonos there) or in what format. i hear that they are not allowing access by other services.

This is frustrating because no one at Apple or Sonos has an answer or a suggestion. I think Apple’s attitude is “Yeah, you’re screwed.”

Thank you for your help.