Android Apple Music Re-authorise workaround

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have just managed to resolve this issue with technical support as a workaround until the permanent fix is deployed and the steps are as follows:

Using an iOS Device from a Friend, Relative or Neighbour.

1. Connect their device to your Wi-Fi network.
  2. Download the Sonos App
  3. Download Apple Music (if not already downloaded)
  4. On the iOS Device click Settings > Their Apple ID > Media & Purchases > Sign Out
  5. Launch the Sonos App
  6. Click Join Existing System
  7. Login to your Sonos ID
  8. Click on Apple Music in the Sonos App
  9. Click Re-authorise
  10. Follow the journey in Apple Music.
  11. On the iOS Device click Settings > Their Apple ID > Media & Purchases > Sign Out

Then your Friend, Relative or Neighbour can sign back into Media & Purchases. Finally uninstall the Sonos App

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yep, cheers, I’ve seen this workaround...but I dont have a iphone lying around, nor do I want to stuff up a friends or neighbours phone.

Looks like my speakers will be decorative only  until a fix is prioritized.

Last time there was a similar situation, the fix occurred at Apple, and not Sonos, so applying some pressure there as well might help. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yep, cheers, I’ve seen this workaround...but I dont have a iphone lying around, nor do I want to stuff up a friends or neighbours phone.

This won't mess up your friend or neighbours phone 👍🏻

Badge

Just adding myself to this list. This is getting to be a real pain doing this every six to eight months…..

Work around works but this issue needs to be urgently sorted by Sonos if they want to maintain sales

Especially urgent, as the fix seems to need to come from Apple, and not Sonos. As it did last time this issue occurred, due to changes at Apple that broke the authorization process. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Had this response from APPLE today..

Thank you for getting back to me.

I understand that you’d like to know, when the issue will be resolved. Rest assured that I’ll answer your question as best as I can.

Even though you were able to use Apple Music with your Sonos speakers without Alexa in the past, Apple doesn’t guarantee that it will work in the future, unless you are using Alexa enabled Sonos speakers. We cannot tell you whether and when Sonos speakers without Alexa will work with Apple Music. That’s why it is of importance that you leave your feedback on our feedback page for Apple Music:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/apple-music.html

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

I am getting the feeling that a fix is unlikely

Seems they are pretty disinterested in fixing the issue as Android Apple Music will work on SONOS with Alexa capabilities.

Most of the issues seem to be with the older PLAY 1 or others with no Alexa capabilty.

Basically, by SONOS PLAY 1s are nothing more than decorative

I understand that you’d like to know, when the issue will be resolved. Rest assured that I’ll answer your question as best as I can.

Even though you were able to use Apple Music with your Sonos speakers without Alexa in the past, Apple doesn’t guarantee that it will work in the future, unless you are using Alexa enabled Sonos speakers. We cannot tell you whether and when Sonos speakers without Alexa will work with Apple Music. That’s why it is of importance that you leave your feedback on our feedback page for Apple Music:

Seems they are pretty disinterested in fixing the issue as Android Apple Music will work on SONOS with Alexa capabilities.

Most of the issues seem to be with the older PLAY 1 or others with no Alexa capabilty.

It appears to me like the reply received from Apple is referring to a different topic than the one reported in this thread. It looks more like an Alexa/Sonos-skill related issue, rather than a service reauthorising matter?

Userlevel 1
Badge

It appears to me like the reply received from Apple is referring to a different topic than the one reported in this thread. It looks more like an Alexa/Sonos-skill related issue, rather than a service reauthorising matter?

i hope so, but he seemed to know of the issue.

In most cases the Apple Music service installs/authorises and can be used, albeit via the Sonos search tab, for example, but the browsing features within the AM service (browse tab) do not display results and that needs fixing for some users.

In your case, it appears you are using the Alexa service/Sonos Skill and the AM (default) music service via the Alexa App - so if you do have AM authorised in Sonos, perhaps simply try reauthorising the ‘Sonos Skill’ by removing it in the Alexa App and then re-adding the Skill. Maybe see if that will resolve your ‘Alexa’ issue.

Userlevel 1
Badge

In most cases the Apple Music service installs/authorises and can be used, albeit via the Sonos search tab, for example, but the browsing features within the AM service (browse tab) do not display results and that needs fixing for some users.

In your case, you are using the Alexa service/Sonis Skill and the AM (default) music service via the Alexa App - so if you do have AM authorised in Sonos, perhaps simply try reauthorising the ‘Sonos Skill’ by removing it in the Alexa App and then re-adding the Skill. Maybe see if that will resolve your ‘Alexa’ issue.

No Ken, i dont have an Alexa issue at all. Dont use it.

I simply have Play 1 and SL.

Apple Music no longer reauthorizes on ANDROID device, as thousands of users seem to be finding,

I have had to reauthorize with a friends iphone to get it up and running, via the work around suggested

The emails I had back and forth, seem to suggest that APPLE are disinterested in getting APPLE MUSIC to reauthorize as previously on Android for use with the Sonos Controller. It certainly appears to be a very low priority, if even on their radar at all.

No Ken, i dont have an Alexa issue at all. Dont use it.

I simply have Play 1 and SL.

Apple Music no longer reauthorizes on ANDROID device, as thousands of users seem to be finding,

I have had to reauthorize with a friends iphone to get it up and running, via the work around suggested

The emails I had back and forth, seem to suggest that APPLE are disinterested in getting APPLE MUSIC to reauthorize as previously on Android for use with the Sonos Controller. It certainly appears to be a very low priority, if even on their radar at all.

Strange then, as the reply from the Apple representative does refer to matters surrounding Alexa/Sonos Skill - my thoughts are the person replying ‘may’ just have got the ‘wrong end of the stick’, perhaps? 

Userlevel 2
Badge

As Apple Music works via Android I would think this is a Sonos issue with the authorisation.

Userlevel 1
Badge

As Apple Music works via Android I would think this is a Sonos issue with the authorisation.

that would be my first guess.

Apple Music also works on IOS controllers too (see attached) - it’s just a case that some user accounts are experiencing this ‘odd’ issue, whether they’re using Android, or iOS controller devices.

The fix seems to be swapping between Android/or iOS controllers, that appears to resolve the issue for the majority (just not in every single case).

In my own case, I use mostly iOS controller devices and the AM service would not work for me initially, but as soon as I added the service via an Android device, it worked straight away and some users like the OP in this thread, had a similar issue, but they were an Android user and so had to borrow an iOS device to get AM installed and working. 

I can’t say who needs to resolve the issue here, but i was referred to Apple Support when I spoke to Sonos Customer Services and Apple did start to look into the matter before I managed to resolve it myself.

Same here..  No help at all!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi

I did get it to work using the workaround on a friends phone. The Sonos controller has remained stable since (5 days)...but who knows what will happen if i switch off power or router, or take my speaker to another location. If I have no ios device with me and Apple Music needs reauthorization, I’m stuck again.

It is such an annoying glitch.

Hi

I did get it to work using the workaround on a friends phone. The Sonos controller has remained stable since (5 days)...but who knows what will happen if i switch off power or router, or take my speaker to another location. If I have no ios device with me and Apple Music needs reauthorization, I’m stuck again.

Nothing should happen - the system/services settings are stored on each speaker (nothing is stored in the Sonos App, which is just a ‘remote’ for your Sonos system). So even if you switch off ALL, the AM service should continue to work on your speakers as it does now when you power the speaker/router back on.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi

Nothing should happen - the system/services settings are stored on each speaker (nothing is stored in the Sonos App, which is just a ‘remote’ for your Sonos system). So even if you switch off ALL, the AM service should continue to work on your speakers as it does now when you power the speaker/router back on.

Hi

Hi Ken,

Yeah, it shouldn’t, but it does “drop away” if you move location to a  different wifi.

I take my speakers to another address often, and end up having to reauthorize on a new wifi.

So, unless I have an ios device with me, its likely I wont be able to reauthorize the APPLE MUSIC.

Hi Ken,

Yeah, it shouldn’t, but it does “drop away” if you move location to a  different wifi.

I take my speakers to another address often, and end up having to reauthorize on a new wifi.

So, unless I have an ios device with me, its likely I wont be able to reauthorize the APPLE MUSIC.

If you visit different locations simply add/store the WiFi credentials on the speaker - you can add them via the network settings/‘manage networks’ area of the App to the speaker.

I have several such WiFi locations added, as shown in the attached screenshot… never had to reauthorise the installed services when using that method. A Roam/Move can hold up-to 16 different WiFi networks.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Ken,

If you visit different locations simply add/store the WiFi credentials on the speaker - you can add them via the network settings/‘manage networks’ area of the App to the speaker.

I have several such WiFi locations added, as shown in the attached screenshot… never had to reauthorise the installed services when using that method. A Roam/Move can hold up-to 16 different WiFi networks.

Should be the case, but its not so stable with a PLAY 1. Despite storing the wifi addresses at least half the time i end up having to reauthorize Apple Music. So it will be an issue, if i dont have an ios device with me to use work around.

You know there's real problem when the workaround is to get an iphone

This is not really a fix to the problem, but it has meant I can use my Sonos speaker system again. If you have a speaker with Alexa you can add the Sonos skill and link your speaker.

I am now able to shout out “Play x on Living Room Speaker” and it will play your playlists from Apple Music. You are still not authorized to browse using the Sonos app though.

Its actually much more intuitive to use Alexa I think. I kind of hate having to keep manually updating the Sonos app and speaker all the time, and this authorization is a real nuisance. Alexa doesn’t seem to have the same issues as Sonos does.

My daughter has an iPhone and she can authorize fine of course. But don’t really want to frustration of getting her to authorize my account especially as it needs re-doing every 30 days or so.

Pity my old iPhone 6 (I kept around for this purpose) is no longer supported by the Sonos app either 😯 so that option is out.

I don’t think I would buy another Sonos speaker. The support from them has been pretty lack lustre. I only keep the speaker because it does sound better than my Echo’s.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi All,

Just a quick update - we now consider this issue to have been resolved by Apple.

Userlevel 1

Hi All,

Just a quick update - we now consider this issue to have been resolved by Apple.

N̶o̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶n̶g̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶e̶.̶ ̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶r̶i̶e̶d̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶o̶v̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶e̶r̶v̶i̶c̶e̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶r̶e̶-̶a̶d̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶.̶ ̶ ̶S̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶s̶t̶u̶c̶k̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶p̶l̶e̶a̶s̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶u̶t̶h̶o̶r̶i̶z̶e̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶p̶.̶😒

UPDATE:  I had to update the Apple Music app on my phone.  Now it is working again.  Thank you! 😃