Question

Sonos goes bankrupt! What then?

Show first post

34 replies

You
King Daddio wrote:

The Home Pod launch makes this topic extremely relevant. I just started building out my sonos system, as much as I like it I'm now concerned about the longevity of sonos.

You could literally cut and paste the posts after the release of the original Airplay, add a '2', and you couldn't distinguish them from the posts of today. Sonos not only survived the imminent demise forecast back then, they went on to become the second largest speaker supplier in the world. Pay no attention to brand new posters shilling Apple products and predicting the doom of Sonos. Their track record for this kind of thing is not great at all.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
SAV wrote:

I'm in the financial industry.......

Then you should be familiar with the Frank-Dodd based living will for banks...

No such thing exists for any consumer industry .. we will live in a fast moving world.
Userlevel 4
Badge +19
Lets say, God Forbid, it happened: Players would still play. Music services would still service. Apart from device-update, Sonos don't have a critical cloud component in order for its products to work. It would be harder to add a [used] device to an existing configuration (as its firmware might require an update to match the existing system), but that's it.

Compare this to, say, Amazon for example: Alexa is a silent black cylinder without a live cloud.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Live WILD! Take a risk! Oh wait, you’d rather be cautious and careful? Perhaps a transistor radio and listen happily to am radio. Apologies, don’t really mean to offend you.
But just to reassure you, I was on the SONOS wagon almost from the start and still have an original Connect amp, two Connects, I gave my original Play 5 to my sister and it is still going strong. These are nearly 13 years old now. I also have 6 Play 1s, a Play 3, two Play 5 Gen2, and two bridges. I have never had a single problem or issue with ANY of them. Sorry, but I can’t rate them high enough. If they go under, who cares? They’ll still keep on working I’m sure.
I sold my Sonos and went to Musicast. Buy some good quality speakers or even an active speaker set and drive them with the MC amp or pre amp. Yamaha is a save company and if for some reason their MC service is discontinued you still have your high quality speakers.
Userlevel 4
Badge +18
rais28 wrote:

I sold my Sonos and went to Musicast. Buy some good quality speakers or even an active speaker set and drive them with the MC amp or pre amp. Yamaha is a save company and if for some reason their MC service is discontinued you still have your high quality speakers.

So you answered on a Sonos forum purely to promote a competitor :8
He? I am not promoting anything here. I wish the Sonos speakers would be more open and flexible so I could more easily drive them with my existing HIFI system. They are great speakers and have some pretty neat software enhancements just a shame they are so closed.
So you gave up on the industry leader to purchase from a company which is on its third (or is it fourth?) attempt at wireless multi-room audio, each incompatible with the next, and all spectacular failures? Well done!
Userlevel 4
Badge +18
What. You can do what you want using a Sonos connect or the Line in on a Play 5. Nothing closed about it. Seems easy to me, although the tough bit is spending the money :D I'm still dithering over another Play 5!

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings