What sub to choose

• 11 September 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 101 replies

Hi all Good People

In here i have an opertunety to bother all of you with all sorts of questions,so you just need to deal with me🤣🤣🤣.

Still struggeling with my livingroom on my 1.floor. I have some Ikea BookShelf(BS) in the corners behind the sofa. Still seach for a soundbar,but most likely it’s gonna be a Ray or a Playbase. Then my wonder will be…..what sub would i seach for.

I am a person who find good deals….used,outlet or new.

I have not heard the Sub Mini play in real life,but i got a couple of Gen3’s.

For me my choice depending on the price of the unit. A new Mini is $470,outlet is $400 and used(secound hand) $385-ish

Gen3 is $840 new,$720 on outlet and $650 used.

Gen2 is normally $450-$550 used,but hard to get in white.

So for me it makes the most sense to get a Gen3 from Outlet,and it justefy the $ extra from a Sub Mini.

But even the Sub Mini is cheeper,it seems to hold up with the Gen3 pretty good. I’m not getting into spec and so on,but i belive there’s discovered that the Mini got a bigger cone-surface than the Gen2/3 and it had better performance in amp-output(yes,in some frequenses).

I’m not getting down the rabbitwhole on that. I think it’s allso a matter of choice for what i will be playing on this system. My experience with my home cinema-system upstairs is no different than what all others come at….the Gen2/3 are more happy to give you the low’s from a movie than from music.

I’m more likely to listen to music on this system than my other places in my house. 
So i’m trying to make up my mind of what to get. Now it would be handy if there was a Dual Sub Mini conf….The Sub Mini is probobly gonna be ok,but i think if i start counting on value i will end up with my third Gen3🤣🤣🤣. I think either the Sub Mini is $50 too expencive or the Gen3 is $50-$100 too cheep. For me the gap is too small between the Sub Mini and Gen3.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @BOL74

I would say your choice may depend on what soundbar you end up going for. The Sub Mini is what we recommend for the Ray, and the regular Sub is what we recommend for the Playbase, Beam, and Arc. 

You may also want to take into account the size of your room. A smaller room wouldn’t need the full power of the Sub Gen 1, 2, or 3, so a Sub Mini would work better there, whereas a bigger room, such as a large open plan area, would benefit from having the full sized Sub.

What I usually recommend to users is to try the system without any subwoofer at first. If you find the bass is lacking, adjust the EQ settings in the Sonos app. If they’re still lacking after that, then a Sub would be worth adding to the system. This is probably your best option if you’re worried about the cost and a lot of times many users don’t end up needing a Sub. 

I hope this information helps! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

#Jamie A

My livingroom down stairs(first floor) is a combine room with kitchen in my other end just tha 42” Panasonic split the space between,so i will say it’s probobly gonna be a Gen-sub that will do the trick here….BUT now i’m more on a Sub mini direction cause i will be playing more music in this room than any other rooms. Here it would be the perfect place for a dual Sub mini conf.

But i’m allways on a hunt for a good deal(Outlet) cause if i can save some $ i can even enjoy my purcase with a better smile😉.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

…home alone and what to do into the first hours of the weekend.(of course i’m alone,i’m single,just me&Sonos).

So i wanted to take a little break form anything i’m watching and i just started to scroll down in my music library.

I started in my livingroom by just listen to the Ikea BS. Then i went upstairs and placed myself in the cinema.

And finally i got a little tired,so i continue my little music-journy with the Era 100’s in my bedroom.

To make a long story short: The Home-cinema was the place i was the most fustrated of…of course it’s not ment to play hi quality pure music,it’s suppose to give you a cinema experience in your home. It’s really pretty sad that a $2000 kit won’t play and fabric the music in a way i wanted it….sorry Sonos. So i ended up in my bedroom with my Era 100’s stereopair. But of course,now it really starts to kick in….Does a Gen 3(and 2&1) have a different SW or modus when connected with a Soundbar vs connected to a single speaker/stereopair? 
Like i’ve said earlier in my other topics,i suspect the Sub mini will be a better choise if it’s music you’re using it on. 

Here are some of my tracks so i can give you people a little taste of the direction of music i fancy.

• Anne Hvidsten Need To Know
  • Molella If You Wanna Party
  • ATB Love Will Find You
  • Somebodys darling Only Time
  • The Shamen Phorever People
  • Miley Cyrus Midnight Sky
  • Madonna I’m So Stupid
  • Medina Kl 10
  • Iron Maiden Wasted Years
  • Leila K Slow Motion
  • Yello Drive/Driven
  • Sanah najlepszy dzień w moim życiu