Answered

what is the best HDMI switch to connect to Beam gen 2

• 20 April 2024
  • 9 replies

Hi, I’m looking for a switch to select between inputs from a TV, (new) and an old hifi system.  I’ve got an analog to digital converter for the hifi system and using its optical output can connect it to the Sonos Beam gen 2. Likewise I can connect the tv to the Sonos Beam but I’d like a switch to avoid having to unplug the hdmi cable every time I change the source. What is the best switch solution for me?  Thank you. 

icon

Best answer by Schlumpf 21 April 2024, 00:38

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@PatrickWH

If you have no need of Dolby Atmos and therefore a hdmi eARC connection to your tv, and if the tv also has got an optical audio out, there would be a quite easy an cheap solution. Just buy a toslink switch with at least 2 inputs. Connect your tv via toslink to one of the switches inputs and the AD audioconverter to another one. Connect Beams toslink-hdmi ARC adapter to the output of the switch and connect Beam with hdmi cable to its adapter. Most toslink switches have a little ir remote to switch between inputs easily. 

But if you need Beam to be connected via eARC, it won’t be such easy. You would need a much more expensive hdmi switch with audioextractor an a hdmi eARC input to connect Beam to. Also you would have to use another AD converter with RCA to hdmi convertion, because the switch/ audioextractor just has hdmi inputs. 

If the first one is no option ifor you, I would think about buying a Sonos Port or another Speaker with analogue line in function instead of spending much money for option two. 

Schlumpf, thank you very much for this, very insightful indeed. I guess I just need to figure out if I require Dolby Atmos. 
You’re a star

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@PatrickWH 

You‘re welcome… 

Be aware if you send audio that way via Beams digital input to Sonos system, it will play in tv mode. For some users that is ok but others don’t like the difference between that and the usual music mode input via Sonos analogue line in. 
For example, if you’re using a surround setup on Beam with bonded rear speakers, they can’t sound in tv mode like they do with „full“ option in music mode. 
But as said… all you need to try is a cheap optical toslink switch. So I recommend just to try. 

Ralf, just to thank you. I followed your advice with an optical switch and it’s working perfectly.  
Much Appreciated 

Patrick

Hi Ralf, a quick question for you.  All is working fine except that I can’t control the volume of the tv with its remote control.  Is there something in the setup I’ve done incorrectly?  It’s not the end of the world but it’s a bit annoying. Thank you. 
Patrick 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi Ralf, a quick question for you.  All is working fine except that I can’t control the volume of the tv with its remote control.  Is there something in the setup I’ve done incorrectly?  It’s not the end of the world but it’s a bit annoying. Thank you. 
Patrick 

Hey Patrick,

If Sonos Beam is connected directly to the tv via hdmi cable, you can control Beam with tv remote via CEC communication. But that isn’t possible via optical connection. So for that usecase you will have to use a remote with Beam via IR connection. To do so, just set up the IR remote in Beams settings within the Sonos app. 
If the remote control delivered with your tv doesn’t support IR technology, you will have to use a different remote or the Sonos app. 

https://support.sonos.com/en-in/article/check-if-you-have-an-ir-remote

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/control-sonos-home-theater-with-your-tv-remote

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I need to remember to hit refresh before answering if I got interrupted.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Or have the TV emit ir - some Samsung TV’s can be configured like this.

Gentlemen, thank you all. I shall give a go. 

All the best. 

Patrick