Answered

Volume

• 20 December 2023
  • 15 replies

Badge

I bought a Sonos Beam Gen 2 that I connected to a new Samsung OLED S90 CD. I followed the connection and got everything to work but the Volume upper limit just does not seem to get as loud as I would expect. I did a chat session with Sonos and the suggested doing the Trueplay setup - I did and seems the same.

Any thoughts?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 20 December 2023, 23:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 7

What exactly is your audio source?

Be sure to set the TV to these settings:

HDMI-eARC Mode: Auto

Digital Output Audio Format: Pass-Through

And make sure Night Sound (moon icon) is disabled in the Sonos app.

Badge

OK I set the HDMI - arc to Auto but the Digital Outout Audio I can only selected PCM or Auto. I assume the Audio source is coming from Apple 4K through Paramont or YouTube TV

Userlevel 7

OK I set the HDMI - arc to Auto but the Digital Outout Audio I can only selected PCM or Auto. I assume the Audio source is coming from Apple 4K through Paramont or YouTube TV

If Pass-Through isn’t available, set the Digital Output Audio Format setting to Auto.

For the best quality audio, set the Apple TV 4K Audio Format settings to this:

Change Format: OFF

Dolby Atmos: ON

With these settings, all 5.1 audio will play as Multichannel PCM which tends to be quieter. If you want the audio to be louder, set Change Format to ON and New Format to Dolby Digital 5.1. But these settings will limit all 5.1 and Dolby Atmos audio to Dolby Digital 5.1.

Badge

It shows as Pass-Through as a choice but says I cannot select based on Audio. I did go into Apple and change to the correct speaker and Atomos.

I could try from TV directly - I was think I would get better picture quality from the Apple 4K but it is a few years old

Badge

Ok will try more of above

Badge

OK I setup above with TV and seems a bit louder. I guess I was expecting a lot more - maybe that is in another type of Sonos speaker or maybe I need to add more to Beam 2

Badge

With external, another amp from Sonos?

Userlevel 7

You might consider adding a Sonos Sub and surround speakers to the Beam.

How large is your room? When you have the Beam set to a suitable volume that sounds good to you, what volume level is the Beam set to?

Badge

I used the Trueplay option after I asked Sonos but it seem the same - is it limiting sound because I am close - I have chairs about 12 feet from TV bad beam 2 and kitchen on ther side of chairs that is prob another 15 feet

Badge

And beam2

Badge

If watching a movie with a lot of sound - John Wick4 or Top Gun, etc it is at 100% and seems like it should be able to go another 30% higher. It is OK just not as loud as expected if you want to hear something’s louder

Userlevel 7

If watching a movie with a lot of sound - John Wick4 or Top Gun, etc it is at 100% and seems like it should be able to go another 30% higher. It is OK just not as loud as expected if you want to hear something’s louder

If 100% max volume isn’t loud enough for you, you either have a defective Beam or you have severe hearing problems.

One more thing to check… in the Sonos app under the Beam’s settings, there is a Volume Limit setting. Make sure this is set to the maximum volume.

Badge

Just had my hearing tested and is good enough to hear loud volume maybe not as clear a woman’s voice in a noise resturant. The volume is set to 100% in limit so Prob need to take it back

Userlevel 7

Try one more thing:

Disconnect everything from the TV and unplug the Beam and TV from power for a couple of minutes. Plug everything back in but keep everything disconnected. Make sure Anynet+ is enabled in the TV settings. Run TV Setup in the Sonos app and follow the app instructions. When the app instructs you, connect the Beam to the TV’s HDMI ARC/eARC port using the Sonos-supplied HDMI cable. After the Beam has been successfully connected, connect the Apple TV to the TV and test again. 

If this doesn’t fix it, I would return the Beam for a replacement.

Badge

Ok i will try that. Thanks for your help