Answered

verizon voice remote volume for Sony TV not working with Arc indirectly.

• 26 September 2023
  • 5 replies

Volume control only does not work indirectly on Verizon voice remote paired with Sony A95K and Sonos ARC connected via HDMI/eARC.  It will change the volume however when pointed directly at the ARC.  Other functions on the remote work indirectly such as changing the channel.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 26 September 2023, 18:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

The remote doesn’t communicate directly with the Sonos Arc, it communicates with your Sony. The Sony then sends CEC information to the Sonos regarding volume. This means that the Sony TV needs to be on for the remote to send commands through the TV and to the Sonos Arc. 

Thanks for the response.  Just to clarify the issue..My Sony XB 65A95k TV remote control will change the volume on the external speakers (SONOS ARC) indirectly (not pointed at the TV) and directly when pointed at the TV. 

However, when I use the verizon voice remote it will also change the volume of the speakers but only if I point it directly at the TV.  My TV is on the wall above the fireplace and above the ARC. In order to change the volume with verizon tv remote I have to raise my arm up over my head or stand up to make the connection for the volume to change.  Is there a workaround using IR or RF?

Thanks for the response.  Just to clarify the issue..My Sony XB 65A95k TV remote control will change the volume on the external speakers (SONOS ARC) indirectly (not pointed at the TV) and directly when pointed at the TV. 

That’s likely because it’s using the CEC protocol to control the Arc’s volume and a wireless (not infrared) link to the TV

However, when I use the verizon voice remote it will also change the volume of the speakers but only if I point it directly at the TV.  My TV is on the wall above the fireplace and above the ARC. In order to change the volume with verizon tv remote I have to raise my arm up over my head or stand up to make the connection for the volume to change.  Is there a workaround using IR or RF?

This is perhaps because you’re using an IR connection with this device remote. But what is perhaps odd here is that you mention this is a ‘voice’ remote.

I do not personally know of any TV ‘voice’ remote that uses infrared only - such a remote with voice normally uses either Bluetooth, or a Wireless, link to the TV, but you may be able to switch it to a universal IR remote, but often that means the voice functionality then doesn’t work with the TV - the one exception that  I’ve come across is the LG ‘Magic remote’, which is a wireless remote when the TV is powered on and controls connected devices using the CEC protocol, but it will revert to infrared when the TV is powered off and can control devices, like the Sonos Arc etc; once it’s IR codes have been added to the Arc via its room settings in the Sonos App - using the ‘TV remote’ setup option.

Have you configured the Verizon remote using ‘TV remote’ setup option in the Sonos App? It’s just I would not (personally) expect it to be using infrared - what happens when you switch off infrared in the Arc’s room settings - do things still work when the IR receiver is toggled off?

There are IR “extenders”. Unfortunately they need to be wired between an IR receiver and emitter. The IR receiver would be placed at a convenient to aim at spot and it’s emitter would be attached to ARC.

CEC doesn’t always get things right. In this case the VERIZON remote would need to cause a CEC Volume command to be sent from its box to the TV and the TV would need to forward this to ARC. In any case it is unlikely that CEC Volume commands will be forwarded when a box is OFF or in STANDBY.

The Issue is using the Verizon TV remote to change the volume (only) I have to raise my arm above my head or stand up to make the direct line of connection with the Sony XR65A95K TV which is on the wall above the Fireplace and the Sonos ARC.  The Verizon TV remote appears to be using Bluetooth to change channels but it seems it uses IR to change the volume.  Is this correct?