unable to connect to wifi

So I recently moved to an apartment that has a built in wifi in the units (whitesky communications). I can’t connect any of my speakers on the app. It was suggested that I get a second router? I’ve tried the TP decos w2400 but that didn’t work. Anyone know any specific routers that might work/help me out 😩😩😩😩😩.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

Does your ‘new’ Wi-Fi have a login page? Sonos can’t get past those, most people use a simple travel router, which does have the ability to ‘log in’ and then create an appropriate network for your devices, including the Sonos, to connect to. 

Hi. It doesn’t have a log in page. You simply enter the password when it prompts you to.

Then I’m not sure I understand why you can’t connect your speakers to this Wi-Fi? Which Sonos speakers are you trying to connect?

You are a tad challenged by not being able to wire directly to the router, but you should be able to connect, if your willing, in most cases, to completely wipe them with a factory reset , and set them up as ‘new’. But there’s some complications there, which is why more detail would be helpful, such as type of Wi-Fi signal (b/g/n? 2.4 or 5Ghz?), specific speakers in use, and whether you’re using S1 or S2. 

Are there any network ports that connect to the apartment complex’s network?

Im having the same issue..   Whitesky in apartment.   I did factory reset, they seem to “connect” to the internet but the system cant “connect” on the app or “see” the speakers after like 1 minute of being connected.   Whitesky of course says its sonos issue...

If this ‘Whitesky’ has a sign in page, Sonos won’t be able to connect to it, and your best bet would be to set up a travel router that connects to ‘Whitesky’, and then set up the Sonos connecting to the travel router”s system.

You also didn’t answer @buzz ’s question in the previous post, which might help us help you. 

It does NOT have a sign in page.. its set up so each individual unit has their own login and access point, so we log in just like any home wifi router (with our own password).  Most other things connect fine, but Sonos wont.

Userlevel 7

It does NOT have a sign in page.. its set up so each individual unit has their own login and access point, so we log in just like any home wifi router (with our own password).  Most other things connect fine, but Sonos wont.

This sounds like some sort of “guess network” for all to access for general internet browsing and specific downloads to a personal computer. Sonos does not work on a guess network as it needs untethered access to the internet. You may have to contact the network administrator to allow Sonos access. If not possible a Travel router as suggested by @Airgetlam may be your only option.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Which do you mean?

Connect to WiFi: SSID and passphrase?

Does your apartment’s WiFi have “Client Isolation” sometimes called privacy enabled? That will prevent the device running the Sonos App from seeing the Sonos devices.

I log into SSID that is for my unit with a password or passphrase just like any home network.. its not a login page or confirmation page.  

This sounds like some sort of “guess network” for all to access for general internet browsing and specific downloads to a personal computer. Sonos does not work on a guess network as it needs untethered access to the internet. You may have to contact the network administrator to allow Sonos access. If not possible a Travel router as suggested by @Airgetlam may be your only option.

How does the travel router fix this?  Would that plug into Ethernet port? I tried setting up my old netgear router but that didnt work either

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The Netgear should work, plug the WAN port on the Netgear into the LAN port of your Whitesky.

Log into the Netgear and make sure it is using a different SSID than your Whitesky.

Next make sure the Netgear local (LAN) IP address is different from the Whitesky one.

You can use any of these ranges. I’d pick one not used by the Whitesky so if it is using 192 use 172 to avoid any possible future conflicts.

10.0.0.0        -   10.255.255.255  (10/8 prefix)     172.16.0.0      -   172.31.255.255  (172.16/12 prefix)     192.168.0.0     -   192.168.255.255 (192.168/16 prefix)

More here: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc1918

Connect your Sonos Controller device to the Netgear SSID.

Follow this: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/connect-sonos-to-a-new-router-or-wi-fi-network

I did pretty much exactly that above, still didnt work

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Time to submit diagnostics and contact Sonos support, they can see internal data denied to us users.

Wire a Sonos and a controller to the router if necessary to get one sent.

Im having the same issue..   Whitesky in apartment.   I did factory reset, they seem to “connect” to the internet but the system cant “connect” on the app or “see” the speakers after like 1 minute of being connected.   Whitesky of course says its sonos issue...

Help!!!

Im having same issues. Did you find any solution if so please share it with me. 

Yes.. i had to buy a travel wifi router on Amazon, set the router up.  Plug it into the Ethernet port then hook up the sonos speakers to that WiFi.  Then it will work.  Make sure you set that travel router up to have a separate 2.4 / 5 GHz signal and use the 2.4. Then your phone (controller app) is on that wifi too.  Poof it works. 

Yes.. i had to buy a travel wifi router on Amazon, set the router up.  Plug it into the Ethernet port then hook up the sonos speakers to that WiFi.  Then it will work.  Make sure you set that travel router up to have a separate 2.4 / 5 GHz signal and use the 2.4. Then your phone (controller app) is on that wifi too.  Poof it works. 

Please what travel router did you get? 
Did you hook Sonos to the  travel router directly? 

GL.iNet GL-AXT1800 (Slate AX) Pocket-Sized Wi-Fi 6 Gigabit Travel Router, Extender/Repeater for Hotel&Public Network Storage, VPN Client&Server, OpenWrt, Adguard Home, USB 3.0, TF Card Slot https://a.co/d/bdW4POf

Got it on Amazon

This wifi router plugs into the Ethernet port on your wall.  You need to use your laptop or computer to configure the router but then your Sonos will connect to that WiFi. 

Thank you Keith you have been helpful. 

Do I have to reset all my Sonos product as new and reconnect again? 

Possibly.  But just try to connect to the new wifi first. 

Ok thanks. I will keep you updated. I just ordered the router. It will arrive today. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Follow the New Router FAQ and do not reset anything, that just causes needless pain and suffering in most cases.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/connect-sonos-to-a-new-router-or-wi-fi-network

Possibly.  But just try to connect to the new wifi first. 

Hey Keith 

I got my traveler but I was told to input the default WiFi password which is printed on the bottom label but I can’t find it. 

Hey Keith 

Should I insert the Ethernet cable in the LAN1, LAN2 or WAN port