Two independent systems

• 17 October 2023
  • 15 replies

I have two SONOS systems. 
I would like to set them up to operate independently of each other. How do I do that?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Two Sonos Systems? Then they should already be independent.

Two Sonos speakers, one system? If you bonded (one room) them into a stereo pair just remove the bond, or if they are just grouped (two rooms) un-group them. Then they will operate independently but as one system.

or:

If it is one Sonos system with two speakers in it power one down, factory reset the other and then follow the instructions to add it as a new system.

If you give us more information you could get exact instructions rather than our best guesses at what you have and want.

Hello Stanley

TV Room I have the following…

-sonos Sub g3

-4 era 100s

-1 Arc sound bar

Bed Room I have the following

-Sonos mini Sub

-2 era 100s

-1beam sound bar

I have the TV Room Set up in the app

how do I set up the bedroom and keep them separate 

Why have them as separate households? I have two home theaters set up in my system, one called living room, one called bedroom. That way I don’t have to reboot/reconnect my controller devices every time I move between the two rooms.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Start with a key concept, the difference in a Sonos Room and your house’s rooms, they are not the same and it sure would have helped explaining things if Sonos had picked a different word than Room.

So...

Unless you used the Sonos controller to Group all the Sonos Rooms together they are separate now. Go to your Controller’s Room menu and check your grouping, untick all the Group selections and click Done.

Now...

For your home’s TV room (not Sonos TV Room) you have several possibilities on how you could have set them up. Dropping the Sonos Room’s name here as it only adds to the confusion, using Room # instead.

Sonos Room 1 - Arc, Sub and two 100s (5.1 surround)

Sonos Room 2 - two 100s.

Or maybe

Sonos Room 1 - Arc and Sub (3.1 surround)

Sonos Room 2 - two 100s.

Sonos Room 3 - two 100s

Or you might not have the 100s in Stereo Pairs and then you’d have 5 Sonos Rooms in the same house room.

Same situation in the home’s Bedroom, either a 5.1 or 3.1 surround Sonos Room and another 100 Sonos Room or two.

You choose how to set things up, within Sonos’ limits so you can have anything from a 3.0 Sonos Room with just the bar, to a 3.1 Sonos Room with a bar and Sub or a 5.1 Sonos Room with a bar, Sub and two 100s. With the 100s you can add them to a Surround setup (has to be two) use them as individual Sonos Rooms or Pair them in Stereo Sonos Rooms, again has to be two.

However you configure the speakers you want in each Sonos Room, you can play that Sonos Room alone or group it with other Sonos Rooms. If you Group, all Grouped Sonos Rooms will play the same music or TV sound, if you do not Group then each Sonos Room can play different sound.

Once you have your Sonos Rooms configured you can put them in any house room you want. It will sound odd to have a Sonos Room placed in multiple house rooms but you could do that. (Don’t)

More usual is placing multiple Sonos Rooms in the same house room, either as stand-alone rooms (usually one playing audio) or Grouped and playing the same audio.

Here we have several Sonos Rooms in different house rooms

House media Room / Sonos Media Room 5.1 Arc, Sub and 2 Play 1s. / Sonos Chair Room Play 5.

House bedroom / Sonos Bedroom Room 3.1 Beam

House computer room / Sonos CR Room 5.1 Beam, Sub and Sonos Ones. / Sonos CR2 Room Sonos One.

House dining room / Sonos Dining Room Paired Play 3s.

House kitchen / Sonos Kitchen Room a single Sonos One.

I can play all at once on the same audio signal by Grouping them, individually by Sonos Room by not grouping them or by combining Sonos Rooms in house rooms via Grouping as I usually do for the Sonos CR Rooms / house computer room.

Once you have all that there is one more thing to be aware of, while Grouped Sonos Rooms will play music in perfect sync, rooms Grouped to a Sonos Room playing the TV’s sound will have a slight delay or echo compared to the TV’s Sonos Room.

Wow! I appreciate the input and details. I will try my best to use this information to complete my project.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

This is why at the API level Sonos uses the term Zone instead of Room, overloading Room confuses things. The earliest hardware were “Zone Players” after all (ZP120 et al).

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If we could only find the guy at Sonos that thinks making things worse with confusing names was funny...

Badge

I’m going to be setting up a pair of Era 100s as surrounds for my TV in my physical living room (labeled as such in the app) and another set in my dining room as a stereo pair. From what I read above, it seems like I can have both the Lv Rm and Dn Rm speaker sets together in a single “Sonos room” in the app and play them independently or together by grouping them. Hope I have that right. I must admit, it’s quite confusing, being a rookie. Hopefully more clear after having set them up. Thanks!

Mike

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You would have the two rooms in your house, and two Sonos Rooms. You’d likely label the Sonos Rooms to match your home’s rooms, but you could call them anything.

Everything in a Sonos Room plays together. You can play Sonos Rooms independently or Group them together to play the same audio source using the App.

A Sonos Room can be a single Sonos, a Stereo Pair, a soundbar and surrounds, Amp or Port. You could also add a Sub to any of these.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

If we could only find the guy at Sonos that thinks making things worse with confusing names was funny...

That person is no doubt related to the person who names Xbox consoles.

Badge

Hi all; Sorry to tag onto this thread, but I’ve sort of got some history here.

I received my (4) Era 100’s order and before I begin to add one pair as surrounds, I find that I am confused by this sentence in the Sonos instructions:

“Your home theater product, and products you want to use as surrounds, must already be added to your Sonos system as separate rooms.”

I already have my Arc and Gen 3 sub in place in my house living room (also labeled as Living Room in the app) so if I plug in a pair of 100’s physically in that room and then “add product” it sounds like I have to create another “Sonos room” to put them in before I will be able to add them as surrounds to my “Living Room.” 

Do I have that right?    

I want to clearly understand how to add them, as backing up from a tech mistake is usually a painful experience :-) 

The other two pair I bought I’m not worried about, they’re going in another house room, which should be more straight forward…I hope.

Thanks in advance, and Happy Holidays!                                                                                                                         

Hi all; Sorry to tag onto this thread, but I’ve sort of got some history here.

I received my (4) Era 100’s order and before I begin to add one pair as surrounds, I find that I am confused by this sentence in the Sonos instructions:

“Your home theater product, and products you want to use as surrounds, must already be added to your Sonos system as separate rooms.”

I already have my Arc and Gen 3 sub in place in my house living room (also labeled as Living Room in the app) so if I plug in a pair of 100’s physically in that room and then “add product” it sounds like I have to create another “Sonos room” to put them in before I will be able to add them as surrounds to my “Living Room.” 

Do I have that right?    

I want to clearly understand how to add them, as backing up from a tech mistake is usually a painful experience :-) 

The other two pair I bought I’m not worried about, they’re going in another house room, which should be more straight forward…I hope.

Thanks in advance, and Happy Holidays!                                                                                                                         

Add as a new product and name them anything you wish.  It could be Fred and Ethel.  It doesn't matter, because the name is going to disappear once you add them as surrounds.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

“I already have my Arc and Gen 3 sub in place in my house living room (also labeled as Living Room in the app) so if I plug in a pair of 100’s physically in that room and then “add product” it sounds like I have to create another “Sonos room” to put them in before I will be able to add them as surrounds to my “Living Room.” “

You’re right about this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos has had great fun (at our expense) by renaming Zones as Rooms, making things confusing.

A Sonos Room is just a name, as said Fred is fine. It can be a single speaker, a stereo Pair or an AV setup.

They used to call these Zones to avoid the “house room” versus “Sonos Room” confusion. Much less confusing to assign a Sonos Zone to a room in your house.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The room concept Sonos uses (a room is a speaker defined set of speakers) has become more confusing since other companies use a different concept dor a room (like Google, that let’s you put just anything in the same room). Changing this again would make it even more confusing though….