Answered

Trouble Connecting Sonos Ray to Television

• 11 October 2022
  • 13 replies

Hey Sonos Users!

I love my Sonos speakers

The sound is great

I was very excited to set up the new Ray product to my Sony TV

But after 3 hours (including 1 hour with the VERY NICE Sonos help gentleman) I was left with “you need to call Sony”

Anybody else having trouble getting their Ray to connect to their TV

Super frustrated Sonos fan,

John

icon

Best answer by John B 12 October 2022, 20:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Which Sony TV do you have? Any chance of you posting a link to the manual for your TV, so that we can answer your question with greater accuracy?

Some general statements, since we don’t know where you are in the process.

1. the optical output must be turned on in the TV’s settings area
  2. The TV (and every device feeding it a signal) should be locked down to Dolby Digital, since optical is a one way transmission
  3. You should be testing with a Dolby Digital movie source. Many standard TV programs (news, sports, etc) are often only in stereo anyway, and won’t give you an optimal signal to test with.

More information about what particular issues you’re having might be helpful to hone in on some useful feedback. Wouldn’t hurt to know what kind of network you have, and other Sonos speakers you have, although that may not bear in this particular conversation...depending on what issue it is. Wouldn’t hurt to provide that data, though. Help us build a better mental image of your setup. 

Bruce,

Thanks for your help!

The Sony TV is model KDL-55W802A

My internet provider is Xfinity 

not really sure where in my settings to turn on the optical output

Appreciate your input!

Best

John

So, these are your manuals?

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/product/kdl-55w802a/manuals

Have you looked in the “audio” section of the TV’s settings yet? I’d first look at pages 37 and 38., then move on to the instructions that appear to start on page 157 of your manual. 

You may want to pay attention to page 169 as well. 

I haven’t used an XFinity box in many years, but the last one I did, there was certainly an “audio settings” that you probably should ensure is set to Dolby Digital, and not “auto” or “Dolby Digital” or anything else. 

Bruce

Thanks for the manual!

We definitely went through the Audio settings on the television but struck out!

During the setup with the Sonos App it just seemed like the section when the Ray should connect or find the television didn’t happen 

I’ve tried to set it up by starting over - deleting the App unplugging the Ray but no go so far

Just really frustrating to have so much difficulty when my speaker set up (One and an old Play) went so smoothly

It would have been nice to have a step by step video from Sonos for set up

Again appreciate your help and interest!

Best

John

What are the audio settings on your Xfinity box?

Bruce

How do you check?

John

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-audio-output

Thanks!

Yes set for Dolby Digital 5.1

Best

John

So, can you list out the settings for the TV set’s audio output, please?

My guess is there’s an “auto” rather than a “Dolby Digital” somewhere in there, and it’s confusing the Ray across the optical connection. 

Of course, there’s a minute chance of an issue with the Ray, but if you can stream music to it, it would be a good sign. There’s equally a chance that the TV’s optical output is broken, which may be why the Sonos rep said you needed to call them. 

Sorry to ask this but it has been known... the plastic protective caps aren't still on the cable ends?

Johnny B

They sure were!

Gotta say my first experience using an optic cable and those plastic coverings were pretty thin 

Review of the Ray from IceBoston was very helpful!

Got it set up about 30 minutes ago after reading about his problem with the dreaded plastic

It’s usually something so simple

Feel kinda dumb, but maybe a diagram or short video from Sonos could have helped 

All good now and still a Sonos Fan!

Thanks to everyone!

John

Johnny B

They sure were!

Gotta say my first experience using an optic cable and those plastic coverings were pretty thin 

Review of the Ray from IceBoston was very helpful!

Got it set up about 30 minutes ago after reading about his problem with the dreaded plastic

It’s usually something so simple

Feel kinda dumb, but maybe a diagram or short video from Sonos could have helped 

All good now and still a Sonos Fan!

Thanks to everyone!

John

This is not the first time people have forgot those small plastic caps and it’s not always Sonos products that see the issue either - the cable-manufacturers really ought to address the issue, maybe put a label on the cable to say not to forget them.

I’ve used optical cables before with TV’s and have setup the Ray recently too and admittedly, without past experience and had I not read the posts on this forum beforehand, I’m sure I might have missed them too. It’s easily done.

If nothing is done, I’m sure this will not be the last thread here where someone forgets to remove them.

Thank you, @John B , my mind hadn’t gone there at all :)