Answered

Surrounds and sub-mini stop working when paired with Beam 2

• 27 June 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2

My Play 1s work fine paired together and the sub-mini works paired to them, however once I pair the Beam 2 they stop and sound only comes out of the Beam 2. True-lay doesn’t work because it says speakers cannot be heard. 

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 28 June 2023, 16:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Sounds like there’s some issue in the proper connection of the PLAY:1s to the Beam. Or the Beam is only playing a stereo source, say from YouTube, and there is no surround information for them to be playing. 

Have you tried to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it?

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Is wifi on on the Beam?

By the way, the term “pairing” is reserved in Sonos speak for combining two speakers as a stereo set. Combining speakers as a surround set  is called “bonding”.

Userlevel 7

Are you trying to setup Play 1’s as surrounds with your Beam 2...if so this is what you need to do using the Sonos app on your device….

1. Go to the room with the Play 1’s that are setup as a stereo pair with the sub-mini.
  2. Select remove sub
  3. After removing the sub you need to break the Play 1 stereo pair and temporally set them as separate rooms.
  4. Select remove stereo pair
  5. Go to the room for the Beam 2 and select add surrounds. You’ll be ask to select the Play 1’s.
  6. After the Play 1’s are added go back to the Beam 2
  7. Select add a sub. The sub-Mini will appear

This setup is now a Sonos Home Theater consisting of Beam 2, Play 1’s as surrounds and sub-mini. You cannot separate the Play 1’s and sub-mini to use independently of the Beam 2. To do so:

1. Go to the room with the Beam 2 and select “remove surrounds” (they will automatically go back to separate rooms)
  2. Then select “remove sub”.
  3. Next  setup the Play 1’s (again) as a stereo pair
  4. Next select add sub 

If you want to keep the Beam 2 as a room and the Play 1’s with sub as a room; but have them play the same music…

1. Start the music in a room (Beam 2 or Play 1’s with sub)
  2. “Group” the rooms together.

If none of what I’ve mentioned is your goal…then just ignore it and tell us more of exactly what you want to happen

Note:

1. TruePlay can only be used on speakers in the same room.
  2. You cannot TurePlay (for example) Room A and Room B simultaneously 
Userlevel 2

Are you trying to setup Play 1’s as surrounds with your Beam 2...if so this is what you need to do using the Sonos app on your device….

1. Go to the room with the Play 1’s that are setup as a stereo pair with the sub-mini.
  2. Select remove sub
  3. After removing the sub you need to break the Play 1 stereo pair and temporally set them as separate rooms.
  5. Go to the room for the Beam 2 and select add surrounds. You’ll be ask to select the Play 1’s.

This setup is now a Sonos Home Theater consisting of Beam 2, Play 1’s as surrounds and sub-mini. You cannot separate the Play 1’s and sub-mini to use independently of the Beam 2. To do so:

1. Go to the room with the Beam 2 and select “remove surrounds” (they will automatically go back to separate rooms)
  4. Next select add sub 

If you want to keep the Beam 2 as a room and the Play 1’s with sub as a room; but have them play the same music…

If none of what I’ve mentioned is your goal…then just ignore it and tell us more of exactly what you want to happen

Note:

Thanks, I am not trying to use the Play1s separately, I just want all the devices to play music, Beam 2, Play ones and Sub mini. Play1s and sub-mini have sound when paired together. If I bond the Beam 2 to make surround sound, then the Play1s and sub mini go silent when playing music and as I said Trueplay doesn’t work either. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Just to clarify:

Normally, AIUI, you have to break the stereo pair (and un-bond the sub) first. Then you bond the Play:1’s to the Beam and add the Sub. Are you able to do that? Your post says you “bond the Beam 2 to make surround sound” which isn’t the way it’s done. 

Userlevel 7

2. Select remove sub

4. Next select add sub 

Note:

Thanks, I am not trying to use the Play1s separately, I just want all the devices to play music, Beam 2, Play ones and Sub mini. Play1s and sub-mini have sound when paired together. If I bond the Beam 2 to make surround sound, then the Play1s and sub mini go silent when playing music and as I said Trueplay doesn’t work either. 

If you followed my directions everything should work for whichever configuration you select. If after doing so you still cannot get sound properly. I suggest you run diagnostics within 10 minutes of the occurrence, post the reference ID and call Sonos tech support to discuss the findings.

Userlevel 2

I have done all you suggested before I posted, I reset every device, added them together in different combinations, but as soon as the Beam is added to the mix the surrounds and sub stop working. Everything is in the same room.

Will call Sonos on Friday when I have some time.

I have done all you suggested before I posted, I reset every device, added them together in different combinations, but as soon as the Beam is added to the mix the surrounds and sub stop working. Everything is in the same room.

@106rallye asked above if the WiFi is turned on on the Beam.  Even if the Beam is wired to Ethernet, you need to turn on WiFi, for it is required to make the private 5 GHz connection between the Beam and it’s Sub/surrounds.  Without WiFi turned on, the Sub/surrounds may appear to be connected, but will have no sound.

Userlevel 2

@106rallye asked above if the WiFi is turned on on the Beam.  Even if the Beam is wired to Ethernet, you need to turn on WiFi, for it is required to make the private 5 GHz connection between the Beam and it’s Sub/surrounds.  Without WiFi turned on, the Sub/surrounds may appear to be connected, but will have no sound.

Yep it is