Skip to main content

I have an Arc SL connected to and mounted below the TV. In the same room behind the couch I have a Connect:Amp with my turntable as input and 2 passive bookcase speakers + a non-sonos subwoofer as output. The bookcase speakers and sub are perfectly positioned for complete surround sound. But since the Arc and Connect:Amp are on the different versions of the app, I can’t get them to work together. Is there a decent workaround for this that would give perfectly synchronized audio? Or is the best option to upgrade my Connect:Amp to the next generation Amp?

If your CONNECT:AMP can not be upgraded to S2 (some can, some can’t), then you’d need to update it to a device that does run S2, so you can group the two rooms. That could be as simple as updating the software if possible on your CONNECT:AMP, or replacing it with a used 2nd generation of the CONNECT:AMP that has the CPU and memory necessary to run S2, or replacement with the current, and slightly better, Sonos Amp. 

If it were me, while probably more expensive initially, I’d go with the Sonos Amp, and enjoy the extra power. 

Thanks for this reply, Bruce! Is there anyway to tell from this info if my Amp could be upgraded to S2? I never knew that some could. 

Connect:Amp

Sonos OS: S1

Version: 11.12 (build 571946310)

Hardware Version: 1.16.3.1-1.0

Series ID: P100

I’ve never owned one, so the best way I know of is to go to the device page on www.sonos.com. Let’s see. 

Go to www.sonos.com

Click on the little guy up in the right side of the header

Log in to your Sonos account with your account name and password

Click on the guy again, and then select System

Scroll to your Sonos CONNECT:AMP.

Now is where it gets tricky, as I no longer have any S1 devices. I’m pretty sure you’ll see two ‘flags’ on that, one an offer to use it for an upgrade discount to apply to a new device, the second to tell you if it can be upgraded to S2. 

i think (it’s been a long time) that you could also go in to the S1 app, and find the upgrade function, and figure out that way to update to S2, which is just a process to follow. That would be a definitive way, too.

You could always call Sonos Support directly to discuss it. The customer service reps would have direct access to tell you one way or the other. 

But to be honest, as I said before, I’d ’trade in’ (no need to return it, you could keep using it elsewhere). I would use the discount to get the newer Sonos Amp, and use it in place of that older device. All sorts of better stuff inside, not the least of which is more power, and who doesn’t like more power? 

Whoa, I did not know this about the trade up program. I see that my Connect:Amp gives me a 30% discount on a new product. But I didn’t know I get to keep my old Connect:Amp.

I’ll try out your instructions to see if it can be updated. But if I can buy a new one with more power and a 30% discount then that’s the way to go!

Thanks so much for your help!

I took a look and it says “upgrade available” next to my Amp! Yay!

Doh! Tried the upgrade through the app and it’s telling me the Connect:Amp can’t be upgraded. Womp womp. Any ideas here? Maybe I’ll try support 

‘Upgrade available’ means that you can apply a discount against the purchase of a new Sonos device, but yes, calling in might be best. If the app is saying no, then you have a gen 1.