Sub woofer issues-Is it worth it given the issues they have?

• 6 March 2021
  • 6 replies

Hello,  I recently purchased the ARC and after some thought decided to purchase the GEN 3 Subwoofer from Bestbuy.  Was excited to try it out but after one hour it stopped working.  Could not keep it connected.  Did all the trouble shooting, followed all the directions but no connection.  Spent over an hour with SONOS tech support but never solved the issue and upon his recommendation, it was returned.

Without the subwoofer I find the system a little underwhelming and am considering returning the ARC and looking at Samsung or Sony instead.  With the cost of this system I should not be having this problem.  Makes me wonder what will it be like when the warranty is expired.

My question, particularly for those that have gone through similar issue, should I try again with another sub or should I just return while I can and try a different sound bar.  It has been very frustrating to spend that kind of money and then spend virtually hours trying to sort out. 

Your feedback would be appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

If you were unable to get the Sub connected with the assistance of Sonos Support, more than likely you’ll have the same problem if you get another Sub, unless you believe your first Sub was defective. Did Sonos Support have you connect the Arc to your router with an ethernet cable or move your Sub closer to the Arc?

Yes they did to both.  It was showing up on the Sonos app but no sound.  The tech stated he believed it to be defective but when looking online this appeared to be a fairly common problem.  Just don’t want to dole out a ton of money if the system is flawed.

Thank you

Userlevel 7

Most people who have a Sonos Sub don’t experience any problems. My Sub works flawlessly with my Arc.

I might try it one more time and see what happens.  Are you connecting the ARC to your TV with the E-ARC?   And if so does it make a big difference?

Userlevel 7

I have an older TV that only has HDMI ARC, but it doesn’t make any difference as far as connecting the Sub to the Arc. The Sub’s ability to stay connected to the Arc wirelessly is mainly dependent on your wireless network.

Actually, the Sub connects to a wireless signal created by the Arc, when they are bonded. One of the reasons you should never turn off the WiFi on the Arc itself. Both surrounds and the sub connect directly to the Arc, your router is only supplying an IP address to the, again, through the connection to the Arc.