Answered

Sub mini subtle popping/crackling noises

• 29 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3

I’ve had a Sub Mini for a couple of months connected to Beam Gen 1. Been very pleased with the extra oomph. This week there was some kind of glitch with the Wi-Fi - my work laptop disconnected unexpectedly and Windows showed the globe symbol rather than the ‘curvy line’ connected to Wi-Fi symbol. I managed to connect the laptop to the Wi-Fi after a few minutes. The next day I noticed not all Sonos speakers were showing in the app and it was inconsistent, some speakers appearing/disappearing as I watched! I eventually decided to turn off the router and speakers, then turn them on one by one once router was back up and running. This solved the problem and all speakers consistently show in the app but ever since there has been a relatively quiet pop/crackle emitting from the Sub Mini when it is idle ie. TV on but no sound pushing through it - when perusing Netflix menu for example.As soon as we start a movie the Sub mini functions as normal. When we pause the movie the noise starts again immediately but if we just mute sound (but movie still playing) there is no odd sound.

On a positive it is still useable for TV watching but the idle sound is distracting and annoying and I’m concerned it might get worse over time.

l’ve tried power cycling the Sub and the Beam but with no success. Has anybody had this before and found a solution?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 11 May 2023, 09:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Clinical Precision 

Thanks for your post!

Please try unlinking the Sub Mini from your Beam, then bond them back together again. Settings » System » [room with Beam] » Remove Sub. Then, Settings » System » [room with Beam] » Connect Sub.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 3

Hi @Corry P 

Apologies for the delay in replying - I have been travelling and only just returned to the house yesterday. 

I have followed your instructions but unfortunately the sound is still there.

Any other suggestions?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Clinical Precision 

I hope you enjoyed your trip! No apology needed!

Thanks for trying that step. I have one more for you: please try a factory reset of the Sub. Once done, it will have a flashing green light and will be ready to add to your system as if it were new - the app should offer to do so automatically. Please add the Sub, bond it to the Beam, and test.

If that has not got rid of the noise you report, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.