Answered

Sub mini not working with Beam Gen 1

Just got the Sub mini and saw that it works like s charm with Beam Gen 1. Well not for me.

I have added the Sub mini to the Beam and it does not work. Got a network cable to the Sub as I read that it might work.

Adding the Sub to my play 1 works like a charm so it is the Beam that is the problem. And the Beam is why we bought the Sub mini…. I have removed and added the Sub mini.

I have not changed my wifi to Channel 6 but the Beam connected through e-arc to my TV works like a charm wireless and with the TV.

Next steps? Contacting support?

icon

Best answer by Dreas89 1 April 2023, 13:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

First, stop saying ‘works like a charm’.  You’ve surpassed your quota for the day.

Second, can you give more details of what happens when you try and add the sub to the Beam?  Do you see the sub as available to be bonded to the beam?  Are you getting an error message?  Does it keep churning without actually adding the speaker?

Also, Sonos did a firmware upgrade yesterday.  Are all your speakers updated?

First, stop saying ‘works like a charm’.  You’ve surpassed your quota for the day.

Second, can you give more details of what happens when you try and add the sub to the Beam?  Do you see the sub as available to be bonded to the beam?  Are you getting an error message?  Does it keep churning without actually adding the speaker?

Also, Sonos did a firmware upgrade yesterday.  Are all your speakers updated?

Hahaha, I did not even think about it. I think I upgraded all of them.

the Sub is visible paired with the beam in the app. No error messages.

So the sub mini is setup, but you are not hearing any audio from it?  I think I actually had the same issue when I set up mine.  I want to say that I unplugged the mini for about 30 seconds and plugged back in for a reboot to resolve, but it’s been several months. Probably worth rebooting the Beam as well.   I also messed with using a direct ethernet connection, but I don’t think that really helped.

I know I didn’t mess with the WiFi channels.

So the sub mini is setup, but you are not hearing any audio from it?  I think I actually had the same issue when I set up mine.  I want to say that I unplugged the mini for about 30 seconds and plugged back in for a reboot to resolve, but it’s been several months. Probably worth rebooting the Beam as well.   I also messed with using a direct ethernet connection, but I don’t think that really helped.

I know I didn’t mess with the WiFi channels.

Gonna restart the Beam. The Sub works with other speakers just not the Beam. My Sonos one works right away.

Restart did not help.

So the solution was to change the channel from standard 6 to 11 in the Sonos app. My wifi seems to have been on channel 6.

Hi can anyone help me please? I was chatting support and he told me to use a mesh extender so I’ve connected a TP links one and I’m getting the above message, any help greatly appreciated 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

seanbc: Sonos should not have told you to use an Extender, the FAQ says that is not supported. Are you sure they didn’t mean an additional access point for your mesh router?

It was suggested to use a mesh system of some kind but I had the mesh extender lying about so tried it out. What is it exactly that I need please? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You didn’t say what router you had? 

Hopefully not on this list: 

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/incompatible-network-hardware

Some brands are selling a “Mesh Extender” that is really an extender, not a node of the mesh others are calling an access point an extender so it gets confusing fast.

-------

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/issues-during-wireless-setup

Incompatible Wi-Fi network: Certain network types do not support a wireless setup. If you are attempting to set up Sonos on a network that fits one or more of the following criteria, you will need to go through a wired setup instead.

<snip>
Networks with wireless range extenders.

In addition, some Sonos products cannot connect to a router that only provides 5GHz Wi-Fi. You can find more information on supported Wi-Fi modes in our system requirements article.

----------

More detail on the router and extender should let someone here sort it out if I’m not back.

I’ll post again tomorrow with more details, the beam works fine with the extender just not the mini. Thank you

Technicolor DGA4134 Is the router and extender is TP-Link AC2600 Dual Band Mesh Wi-Fi Range Extender

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The TP-Link likely isn’t going to work.

I see several posts about the Technicolor routers here but not yours.

The Sonos naughty hardware list mentions several different Technicolor routers, some have work-around solutions you might try on yours.

Another thing you could try is hooking the One or Beam to one of the DGA4134 Ethernet ports which would move your Sonos off the Technicolor’s WiFi and onto SonosNet.

One more thought, if your Beam is connected to Ethernet, did you use the “Disable WiFi” option? That does disable WiFi but it does so by turning off the radio the Beam needs to use to connect to the Sub. It really really needs a different name in the controller.

The Sonos naughty hardware list mentions several different Technicolor routers, some have work-around solutions you might try on yours.

Another thing you could try is hooking the One or Beam to one of the DGA4134 Ethernet ports which would move your Sonos off the Technicolor’s WiFi and onto SonosNet.

One more thought, if your Beam is connected to Ethernet, did you use the “Disable WiFi” option? That does disable WiFi but it does so by turning off the radio the Beam needs to use to connect to the Sub. It really really needs a different name in the controller.

Thanks very much for that help! The Beam connects to the extender no problem but I’ll need something different to get it all working together. Would this work? 

TP Link Deco E4 AC1200 whole home mesh Wi-Fi System

Thanks very much for that help! The Beam connects to the extender no problem but I’ll need something different to get it all working together. Would this work? 

TP Link Deco E4 AC1200 whole home mesh Wi-Fi System

Sorry it wouldn’t let me post the link 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

That should work well, I don’t see it on the hardware issues list or any complaints here in the forums.

I’d not buy one right away, see if any other users here have suggestions for good Sonos compatible routers first.

Thanks Stanley you’ve been very helpful, I’d no idea about these incompatibilities as my other setup is right next to the router while this one is too far away to use an Ethernet workaround even. I’ll have a look and see what threads might be useful or start a new one if needs be. Frustrated that I haven’t even heard the sub sound yet 🙈

Remember, for radio waves, ‘right next to’ is almost as bad as ‘too far away’.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I find two feet a minimum safe distance and three usually far enough that there is no impact.

Not literally sorry!