Stuttering Issues Playing Dolby Atmos from PS5

• 22 September 2021
  • 6 replies

Hi everyone!

Over the last few months I’ve jumped deep into the Sonos eco-system, and absolutely love it.

However, I’m running into one problem that I’d love to get feedback on.

Specifically it has to do with Dolby Atmos playback from a UHD Blu-Ray on my ARC.

Whenever I play an Atmos Blu-Ray it sounds amazing, BUT it is constantly stuttering and has occasional static. It happens pretty consistently throughout the movie, but especially when it’s loud and there is a lot going on. It does it to the point where the movie is pretty much unwatchable.

I’ve tried everything I can think of. And I’ve got an idea of what it might be, but wanted to talk to the experts.

Here’s my Setup:

• Sonos Arc
  • One Gen 2 and One SL for rear surrounds
  • Playstation 5 for Blu-Ray
  • 2017 LG C7 55”

My thought is that since the TV only has ARC, not e-ARC, that this might be causing the issue.

The blu-ray is putting out True-HD Dolby Atmos content, so I wonder if it’s that connection that is causing the stuttering?

Worth noting, I don’t have any issues playing Dolby Atmos content from streaming sources like Netflix. As I understand it, that Atmos, is Dolby Digital Plus.

When I open the Sonos App during playback from Blu-Ray it says “Dolby Atmos (DD+)”

Do you think this could be causing it?

If this is the issue, is there a way to watch Blu-Rays where you can dumb down the audio to not be True HD but still get Atmos content in DD+ without the stuttering?

Curious if anyone has thoughts here. The sound is great, but this stuttering and static has made basically all Atmos Blu-Rays unusable.

--

EDIT: If there’s a moderator that can fix the “Atmost” in the headline, that’d be great. Couldn’t find a way to change headline or to delete post in order to repost...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

It isn’t possible for the Arc to output Dolby Atmos via Dolby TrueHD from a Blu-ray player without a TV with HDMI eARC.

Also, 99% of Dolby Atmos Blu-ray discs use Dolby TrueHD, not Dolby Digital Plus. Atmos via DD+ is used primarily with streaming, not physical media.

What specific Blu-rays are you playing?

On my PS5 it says “Dolby True-HD” is the audio while it’s playing.

On my Sonos it says it’s playing Dolby Atmos (DD+).

So I assumed the TV or ARC just compensated and played what it could since it couldnt play the True HD signal. But honestly, I’m not super well versed in how all that works. 

And yes, that’s what I’ve gathered about Blu Rays vs streaming. But I’m hoping not to have this issue with every single Dolby Atmos Blu Ray I try to play.

The one I’ve been testing it on is John Wick 3 UHD 4k.

Userlevel 7

It is very strange that the Sonos app is showing “Dolby Atmos (DD+)” when playing a Dolby TrueHD/Atmos disc. I have never seen that before. I wonder if the TV or PS5 is doing some sort of audio conversion which may also be causing the stuttering.

What are your audio settings on the TV and PS5 set to?

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. All Audio settings are set to bitstream. If I change it to PCM it plays in stereo and seems to solve the stuttering issue.

Userlevel 7

You might consider getting the HDFury Arcana eARC adapter. This allows your PS5 to bypass your TV’s HDMI ARC limitations and send audio directly to the Arc. This would allow you to get lossless Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos and multichannel PCM (from DTS discs) on the PS5. I have the Arcana and it works great with my old Panasonic plasma and my Panasonic UHD player.

https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

Oh interesting, I have a feeling something like this may do the trick. If I pick one up I’ll report back.

Thanks for all the feedback!