Skip to main content

Strange behaviour between HDMI inputs

• 1 December 2023
  • 1 reply

So I have a Beam Gen 2 hooked up to an LG G2. 4K Fire Stick in HDMI 1, Beam in HDMI 2 (e-Arc), PS5 in HDMI 3 and Nintendo Switch in HDMI 4.

If I have the Fire Stick set to “best audio possible” I lose surround audio on the Switch (stereo works fine) and I lose 5.1 Blu Ray audio on the PS5 (game and menu audio not affected). If I set the Fire Stick to PCM I get audio on Blu Rays and surround on Switch, but I lose the surround on Switch if the PS5 is on the main menu or playing a game, but not if it’s playing a 5.1 Blu Ray…

I think it has something to do with Atmos, as the Fire Stick is constantly on and constantly trying to put out Atmos if it can when on the “best possible” setting and the PS5 puts out Atmos on the menu and in games, but not on Blu Rays that don’t have an Atmos track. It’s like if the Beam is putting out Atmos on one input, that’s the only kind of audio it can put out in any other input other than standard stereo?

it’s not a huge issue, there’s not a lot of Atmos content on the Fire Stick so I don’t mind keeping it on PCM and I rarely have the PS5 and the Switch on at the same time, but more just out of curiosity can anyone explain why this happens? Is it a TV issue or a Sonos issue?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Not a solution, sorry, but Amazon describing the sound format not in technical terms but as “best audio possible” would annoy me no end.