Answered

Still no TP support for latest generation of iPad 11 /12?!

• 20 July 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge +1
  • Contributor II
  • 9 replies

I just upgraded my iPad Air 4 to an iPad 11 Pro 2022 model only to find out true play is not supported on this iPad?!

I am an Android guy and bought the iPad Air 4 specifically to be able to use true Play on my system and ended up enjoying using it to surf on etc.

Searching the forum I see this has been an issue since 2018. Why would Sonos not opt to support these higher end faster iPads? To me this sort of shows how archaic Sonos speakers are as well as how inept their engineering team is.

What an absolute utter disappointment.

I just spent hours also trying to get my speakers onto a new router and it was a nightmare only to find out I cannot tune them with true play on my iPad 11. I think I am done with Sonos and I'm just going to buy an atmos sound bar and sub from another manufacturer, this is sad.

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 20 July 2023, 22:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

If you haven't seen it already, here’s the list of supported devices.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/trueplay-compatible-devices-and-sonos-products

My understanding is that in order for trueplay to work, the device used has to have a known calibrated microphone.  Androids do not have consistent mics in their products, which is why trueplay isn’t supported there.  I don’t know if your iPad version has a consistent mic across every unit, but that could be reason.  As well, Sonos has to spend development time making sure trueplay works correctly for each new Apple device.  This will often mean delay in support for brand new devices.  And I’m guessing, perhaps they aren’t spending the money for trueplay support on devices that aren’t used in high volume with the Sonos app?

I’m not Sonos, I’m just providing some background on why trueplay isn’t supported on immediately and on every device.

As far as changing out routers, I did that myself a few months back.  I just kept the same SSID and password so everything, Sonos or otherwise would transition smoothly.

Badge +1

Well the 11 & 12’s (2nd, 3rd, 4th) have 5 mics vs 2 on most other iPads so technically they should be able to acoustically be more precise for tuning. 
If TP is THAT good then the more mics the better for precision, no?

BTW this constantly popping up is just crazy annoying haha 

Well the 11 & 12’s (2nd, 3rd, 4th) have 5 mics vs 2 on most other iPads so technically they should be able to acoustically be more precise for tuning. 
If TP is THAT good then the more mics the better for precision, no?

No.

Badge +1

OK lol

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Just a reminder that the “Coming Soon” here doesn’t mean support is coming, only that Sonos will move it to the supported or unsupported group. Also soon can be many months.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/trueplay-compatible-devices-and-sonos-products

Bottom line buy an already supported device if you want to be 100% sure it is going to work.

Badge +1

OK but they could take away those devices in the future as well. 
Really there is no reason why these newer tablets cannot work like the older one using the same OS. 
The only difference is microphone quantity, which could be turned off via TP. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I haven’t seen any devices taken away for other than the lack of current OS support by the manufacturer.

My previously supported iPod 4 still works as a controller (last time I looked) but won’t do TruePlay.