Answered

Spotify App on Samsung TV outputs PCM only

• 17 February 2021
  • 11 replies

Hello,

I have a Beam and a Sub hooked up to a 2019 Samsung Q7DR.

I actually have two questions. See below.

ISSUE 1:

When using the Spotify app from the TV’s menu, I can’t get Dolby Digital. PCM Is the only option.

When I use the Xbox One’s Spotify app, I get Dolby Digital sound.

Also, the DD sound works through other apps such as Netflix and Youtube.

ISSUE 2:

Often when I pause something or turn the TV off and then on, the Beam resets the volume to zero.

I don’t think this is a consistent thing, but I’m not really sure.

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 17 February 2021, 19:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Dolby Digital from Spotify? Surely not? Not DD5.1?

Surely not?

What do you mean by this? 

I don't have rear speakers set up in this room, so I don't have the 5.1 option. For all the other apps it just lets me switch between DD and PCM. 

But if what you are getting is PCM2.0 and DD2.0 then that is (in effect, although perhaps not strictly) stereo. I thought you were saying that you were getting multichannel DD5.1 from one of the Spotify apps, which I find implausible. 

If it's all just 2 channel,  I don't think it's worth worrying about. 

Maybe I am wrong about 2 channel only.  What type of media are you playing?

The sound quality is of noticeable difference when I use the Xbox Spotify app, which outputs DD to my Sub and Beam. The signal I'm getting isn't a 2.0 signal, as it outputs to the Sub. I'm playing all kinds of media.

The sound quality is of noticeable difference when I use the Xbox Spotify app, which outputs DD to my Sub and Beam. The signal I'm getting isn't a 2.0 signal, as it outputs to the Sub. I'm playing all kinds of media.

If you send a stereo signal to any Sonos speaker that has a Sub paired / bonded to it then Sonos will play to the Sub, handling the crossover.  I don’t think the fact that sound is coming from the Sub proves anything.

How does the sound compare if you play Spotify to the Beam using the Sonos app or the Spotify app on your phone controller (which I find more convenient, although that doesn’t mean everyone will)?   

The Xbox seems to be the only Spotify app that allows DD. From my phone I get PCM. 

My best guess - and i am not sure about this - is that this is really just an illusion.  i believe Spotify does stereo, and maybe the Xbox is upmixing it to produce a DD signal and sound that you prefer, which is not the same as being better.  (In the same way some people prefer the sound from vinyl over lossless FLAC.)

I may be wrong… maybe others will be able to be more definite.

Userlevel 7

Spotify only streams its music in stereo. The Xbox is just upmixing music from the Spotify app to Dolby Digital. So it’s not true Dolby Digital that you are actually getting.

Spotify only streams its music in stereo. The Xbox is just upmixing music from the Spotify app to Dolby Digital. So it’s not true Dolby Digital that you are actually getting.

Thanks. Well, music sure sounds a lot better from the Xbox!

Userlevel 7

Thanks. Well, music sure sounds a lot better from the Xbox!

And if it sounds better to you, that’s all that really matters!