Answered

Soundskin covers compatible with IR?

• 22 February 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hello, 

Does anyone have one of these on a Playbar?
https://soundskins.com/product/soundskin-playbar-charcoal-black/

Everything I’ve read says they are acoustically transparent and allow for use of buttons, but I don’t see anything about IR. Would I still be able to use my remote to control volume?

I have my Playbar mounted above my projector screen and I am working on blacking out everything around the screen. The gray part of the Playbar is really popping now  

I’m interested in hearing from someone that actually has a Soundskin cover on a Playbar.

Thank you

icon

Best answer by buzz 22 February 2023, 17:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @giuseppe patch 

Thanks for your post!

I had never heard of these until now, so my assumption is not many people have them.

At a guess, I’d say the remote would still work, but I recommend asking on the Soundskin website to be sure - or call them.

I hope this helps.

There will be some attenuation of the IR signal strength. It’s hard to predict how significant this will be. The location of your PLAYBAR complicates the situation.

The wavelength of the IR transmission is very short. The fabric becomes a collection of ‘pipes’ strapped together. If your IR transmitter is on-axis to these ‘pipes,’ transmission will not be impeded very much, however, if you are off-axis, not much IR energy will get through. A similar situation can be imagined if you are viewing a scene through a pack of pipes strapped together. If you are on-axis you can see straight through. If you are off-axis, all you see is the insides of the the pipes.

Ideally you could convince Soundskins to send you a fabric sample. Place this sample in front of the PLAYBAR IR sensor and check the results.