Question

Sonos SL losing connection

• 15 December 2020
  • 1 reply

So, i bit the bullet and replaced by Sony N7200W for this wireless Sonos setup during the Black Friday event. Sub is still on back order, but i have the ARC and 2x ONE SL’s.

I cannot tell you how unbelievably annoyed i am at spending what i have on this Sonos setup, only to have nothing but problems since day one! I want to get the rant out of the way;
The app is just trash.
The cable length for the SL’s is too short, i mean they are supposed to be surrounds, who the hell has sockets underneath their sofa?!
ARC has no HDMI output other than a 1080p screensaver? For £800 i am absolutely blown away that this cannot output anything other than a screensaver, and actually if i had been aware of this then i most likely would have not bought it!
Pairing these units is a bloody nightmare! Let me ask who the hell thought it was ideal to require the connect button on the back of the speaker to be held in while the power is cut in order to reset them? Surely just holding the connect button in for 10 seconds should be enough? I mean, there i am with speakers attached to the walls but with arms less than 2 meters in span i need a second person to hold the button down while i disconnect power at the wall! Absolute joke.

Now i’ve got that off my chest, my left most ONE SL is losing connection. It lost connection yesterday (shows as a question mark in the iOS app), so i restarted both SL’s which then lost them both. After an hour of trying to re-pair them both, i finally got them working again (would usually fail at the ‘Setup Surrounds’ stage where one of them would not be recognised in the app, taking me back to square one). The way i got around this was to wait for 10 minutes after adding the SL’s to the app, then try adding them as surrounds.
Woke up this morning, exactly the same SL has a question mark in the app, and the light is blinking on top.

If i cannot sort this out, the lot will be going back, because it should not be this hard.

Everything is running on the latest firmware, all wireless, and all speakers are within 15 feet of the router. Hard wiring them is not really option, and to be honest if wireless is advertised, should not be required.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Sorry to hear you’re having this issue. This is often a duplicate IP address issue: try the following: 

Power off all Sonos speakers (ie unplug from power). Then restart your router. When it is fully restarted and wifi up and running, restart your Arc. When it is fully running, power up your SL’s one at a time, waiting for the first to fully restart before starting the other. 

If that does fix it, I’d also suggest you set reserved ip addresses for your speakers to minimise the chance of this happening again. 

Let us know how it goes.