Answered

Sonos Ray, keeps disconnecting

• 25 December 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge

I have added a Sonos Ray to our system. It already contains a Sonos Arc configuration with double Play 1s which is working fine.

The Sonos Ray though regularly disconnects (it says disconnected under Sonos App-Settings-System) and unavailable to manage from the Spotify application. If you do want to connect Spotify will say “connecting to … “ until it times out.

I have already tried the usual steps, like a hard reset and setting it up again with the latest firmware but so far nothing has helped. The router is also really close with multiple devices working at their maximum signal strength and rate so this cannot be the issue.

Any more I can do? I love the device as a concept but if it doesn't work I have no other option to return it.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 25 December 2022, 16:55

View original

1 reply

What is a ‘Sonos Arc configuration’?

As you’ve found out, a ‘hard reset’ usually doesn’t fix anything, and only erases data that Sonos could use to help you. 

I’m mildly concerned about what ‘really close’ means. In general, no Wi-Fi device should be within a meter (three feet) of a router, due to the way radio waves work. Closer than that is not better. 

However, what might be going on is a duplicate IP address assigned by the router, so I’d probably unplug all your Sonos speakers and then reboot the router. Give it a couple of minutes to reboot / reload its software, then plug back in your Sonos devices. Give them a couple of minutes to reboot and reconnect before testing. 

However, if the Ray is still cutting out, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.