Answered

Sonos Playbar - Kogan Smart TV

• 19 December 2023
  • 4 replies

Hey all,

I'm trying to connect my old Sonos Playbar (it's quite an old one, possibly 2013) to a Kogan 55" Smart TV (Series 8 LU8010).

I've setup the Playbar and it's working while streaming Spotify from my phone through the app, but when I try to do 'TV setup' I get a 'no signal detected' error'.

I've tried doing the old, unplug and plug it back in with each connection and also tried a few different settings on the TV itself.

TV settings are pretty basic, but I've stripped it back to standard audio, balance 0, auto volume level off, surround sound off, S/PDIF Mode PCM (which I believe is the correct output for the Playbar.

Anyone have any ideas? I've thought about getting a new optical cable but wanted to try here before I do that.

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 19 December 2023, 02:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi

Optical connections are very straight forward and simple. If you’re getting a “no signal” error it’s either:

1. TV is not set to use the optical audio output (check the audio menu settings)
  2. Defective optical cable  *

* Even if light can be seen there still could be a fracture in the cable optics 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Optical can be fun.

I hate to ask but did you remove the protective covers off both ends of the optical?

Are both ends fully inserted, some seem to stop half-way seated and need another push to fully seat.

You could try another device with an optical out and see if the Sonos recognized it.

Hi

Optical connections are very straight forward and simple. If you’re getting a “no signal” error it’s either:

1. TV is not set to use the optical audio output (check the audio menu settings)
  2. Defective optical cable  *

* Even if light can be seen there still could be a fracture in the cable optics 

TV definitely uses optical, I've checked through the manual. 

I think you're right with the defective cable, I'm going to try pick one up this arvo and give it a whirl

Optical can be fun.

I hate to ask but did you remove the protective covers off both ends of the optical?

Are both ends fully inserted, some seem to stop half-way seated and need another push to fully seat.

You could try another device with an optical out and see if the Sonos recognized it.

Protective covers are off both ends and firmly secured in both devices. 

I don't have another device unfortunately so I'll likely pick up another cable, hoping it's defective and the new one works!