Sonos One Crackle

• 14 June 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi. I had my Sonos Beam and 2 Ones set up as rears for 5.1. All devices were on wifi. Worked flawlessly for months. Then started getting random crackle on one rear speaker usually on bass noise but was intermittent and could not always be reproduced when playing the same source. 

Sent diagnostics to support and they I had wifi interference and suggested connecting the Beam directly to the router and then the Ones would connect to the Beams own network. I’ve done this but the rear Ones are still connecting to home router wifi and not the Beams Sonosnet. Can I force them to connect?

In the system info, rears show as WM3 which I think means aren’t connected to the Beam. Any suggestions please?

Thanks. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

wifi interference have different factors:
>wifi devices are too close to sonos speakers
>a mobile device is sitting next to the speakers, mobile signals affects the wifi connection
>electronic appliances that is close to the speakers that emits electromagnetic waves etc.
>there is another wifi network existing in the system
>Physical Obstacle
>distance from the router
>Wifi channel congestion (technical)
> too many devices connected to wifi

Thanks for the reply. Yes, support are trying to confirm whether it is WiFi interference by hard wiring the Beam and creating its own WiFi mesh. But my rear Ones are still connecting to my router WiFi rather than the Beams mesh. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks for the reply. Yes, support are trying to confirm whether it is WiFi interference by hard wiring the Beam and creating its own WiFi mesh. But my rear Ones are still connecting to my router WiFi rather than the Beams mesh. 

try resetting your rear speakers first before setting up sonos system, by starting over

Or just power cycle the Ones. Usually, when a device is set up as a surround speaker, it ignores your Wi-Fi, and connects to an invisible 5Ghz signal created by the Beam. It can ‘look’ like it’s connected to Wi-Fi, when you look at your DHCP page, because it’s getting proxied IP addresses through the Beam’s connection. 

Hi. I’ve power cycled the Ones and also reset them but when I added them in the Sonos app, they automatically joined my home WiFi. They even crackled when doing the test chime. In About System the Beam shows WM0 and while the Ones still show WM3. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi. I’ve power cycled the Ones and also reset them but when I added them in the Sonos app, they automatically joined my home WiFi. They even crackled when doing the test chime. In About System the Beam shows WM0 and while the Ones still show WM3. 

Sounds like a hardware failure, chimes usually don’t produce crackled sounds.