Answered

Sonos Era 100 as Surround Speakers

• 15 March 2023
  • 3 replies

I have a Beam Gen 2 connected to our Living Room TV and would like to add either a pair of Era 100s or a pair of one SLs as surround speakers for watching movies. However for various reasons I’m not able to have these speakers permanently located in the Living Room. So is it possible to set up the  Beam Gen 2 with a pair of surround speakers so that I can easily connect them whenever I want to watch a movie with surround sound and then when finished remove them from the room until the next time I want to watch another movie?

icon

Best answer by nik9669a 15 March 2023, 10:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

It is easy, in that you can just unplug them from power and store them until next use.

In this situation, it may then take a few minutes for your Beam to re-acquire them… and you will get the app telling you it’s lost the speakers and it keeps trying to find them. To avoid this you could “remove surrounds” in the app before unplugging, and then re-add them when next used. That should only take a few minutes, but there may also be times when your Beam gets updates when the surrounds are not in use. This means that after reconnecting them, the surrounds will need to be updated before they can be used. 

So yes, it can be done easily, but is not really very practical. 

Thanks nik9669a, I understand what you say about the practicality of doing this  but I can put up with the inconvenience of running an update if required as it doesn’t take that long based on my experience so far with the Beam. It would be great if I could leave them in the room but as I said for various reasons I wont go into,  I cannot do that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Thanks nik9669a, I understand what you say about the practicality of doing this  but I can put up with the inconvenience of running an update if required as it doesn’t take that long based on my experience so far with the Beam. It would be great if I could leave them in the room but as I said for various reasons I wont go into,  I cannot do that.

Be aware too that all of your Sonos devices will mute during update, so it may be best to turn off auto-update and then manually select when to do updates.