Skip to main content

I have seen mentions in this forum of sound dropping out on a Sonos Beam. Many comments seem quite old and I am wondering if I am missing something.

I purchased a Beam this Summer. From fairly early on I experienced sound drop outs.

I replaced the HDMI cable (running from ARC on Sony Bravia XBR800H - also brand new this Summer).

No success.

I also ended up forgetting about the Apple TV 4K and just running directly from the TV to the Beam hoping that would simplify things and help things

No success.

It seemed to be happening less but after a few weeks it’s back to happening many times in every show we watch. As others have noted, it’s driving me nuts.

I had imagined moving all my 3 other screens to Sonos but at this rate I have no confidence that it’s reliable, which is such a pity since I respect the seamless experience. If anyone in this community has more recent advice on what I can try that would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @hkd300, welcome to the Sonos community, and thank you for letting us know about your concern. We really appreciate all your efforts in checking this issue.

Let me help you by following the steps below as common fixes for TV audio issues while using Sonos home theater speakers.

1. Unplug the HDMI cable from the Sonos Beam and the TV. 
2. Unplug the power cable from your TV, the Sonos Beam, and any connected audio source (such as a cable box or video game console). Wait 30 seconds before you plug them back in.
2. Reconnect the HDMI cable to your TV and the Sonos Beam. Inspect the HDMI cable to ensure it’s not bent or kinked and check to see that it’s fully inserted into both devices.
3. Update the TV’s software (if available)
4. Adjust the audio format. We recommend testing Stereo/PCM to see if the issue improves.
5. Adjust the group audio delay - Settings > System > Tap your Sonos Beam > Group Audio Delay and then choose a delay option.
6. Check for Sonos update - Settings > System > Check for updates.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above and submit a diagnostic report for us to check. Just include the confirmation number in your response so that we can look up the information.

If you have any questions about this. We and the community are always here to help.

This seems to have done the trick. This is appreciated and is a relief.. I had pretty much given up on Sonos being a whole home solution. THANKS.

Hi @hkd300, thank you for the update and for your response. I'm glad to hear that the audio issues have been resolved. Continue to monitor your Sonos system. Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions. You're always welcome here.

Hello Rowena,
I am sad to report that after a few days where it seemed to go away, the audio drop outs have returned. I have followed your instructions many times since. Sometimes it takes care of the issue for a full night's viewing.. and then other nights it happens over and over again. 
I admit I am a bit exasperated.
I have tried several different HDMI cables just to be sure that's not the issue. I did notice on one occasion with one of the cables that if I held the cable in tightly it would work and as soon as I let go the sound cut out.
This was only the case with one HDMI cable and it made me wonder if the issue is with the HDMI plug in at the back of the Beam. 
I don't really know what to think or do. If you have any further advice I would appreciate hearing your suggestions.
Thanks
hkd300

Hi - I have suddenly started getting issues with my Sonos Beam dropping out audio randomly at but regularly from my Sonos Bravia TV, it does not affect any other source such as streaming. This combination has worked perfectly until just after Christmas when it started. The TV is Sony Bravia KDL-32WD756 and is connected via the optical adapter ( I have to use this as I do not have enough HDMI inputs). I notice this seems to be an ongoing issue in the forums but I cannot see a solution, it makes the Sonos unusable now which is very frustrating. Please can you get back to me with a resolution ASAP. Many thanks, Tony