Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos Beam not visible over AirPlay

• 26 February 2022
  • 1 reply

Hello all,

I have rebuilt my home network a while ago and created an IoT VLAN in which my SONOS devices (4 One, 1 Beam) are located. All SONOS devices are connected via a Unifi AP to a pfSense router.

I now have everything set up to the point where I can use the app from other VLANs. Unfortunately, I have the problem that my Beam is not found via AirPlay. Even when I am on the same network as the SONOS devices, it does not show up for me.

The rules in pfSense are currently completely open for the SONOS products. So missing ports can't be it.

Yesterday I reset all devices and set them up again. This also brought no success. Now it is so that the 2 rear speakers, which were connected to the Beam (have them now currently not grouped with the Beam again) were initially not visible in AirPlay, but since tonight already.

In the SONOS app, all devices are displayed to me and I can also operate all functions from the app.

A packet capturing showed me that all devices except the Beam regularly make themselves known via IGMPv3 and mDNS.

Is it possible that it is not my network structure, but the Beam is possibly broken?

Thanks for the help!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @TheCyberfreak 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

While VPNs are not supported by Sonos, you mentioned that even when on the same network you still can’t connect to the Beam via AirPlay.

First, please check the following settings on your UniFi system:

• In the Settings tab, click Wireless Networks.
  • Click Edit next to the network SSID.
  • Expand Advanced Options.
  • Uncheck Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data.
  • In the Settings tab, click Sites.
  • Disable Auto-Optimize Network.

Next, please find the IP address of your Beam (Settings » System » About my System) and plug it into the following address, in a browser on the same network as your Beam:

http://<IP Address of Beam>:1400/tools.htm

At the bottom of this page, you’ll see a button labelled “mDNS Announce”. Please click this and close the browser once you see “Success”.

Check for available connections on your Apple device(s).

If this hasn’t helped, I can only recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system.

I hope this helps.