Answered

Sonos Beam -input audio over HDMI from AV receiver (non-ARC)

• 31 January 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m wanting to input audio into my Beam over HDMI, but not using HDMI ARC from my TV.

i intend to use the Beam in addition to my Sony AV receiver home cinema set up, so the TVs HDMI ARC is already in use.

I’ve connected the TV’s optical to the Beam using the adaptor, but the audio is out of sync with the receiver’s audio.  So, I want to feed audio into the Beam from the AV receiver’s 2nd HDMI output instead. Is that possible?

It could be that the audio sync issue is due to signal processing delays in the receiver, but won’t know for sure until I try it over HDMI. The audio delay is the reason why I got rid of the Sonos Connect, the audio was out of sync with the other Sonos speakers due to AV receiver signal processing delays.

icon

Best answer by dazkgoodwin2 1 February 2020, 12:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

No, the Beam does not accept HDMI audio, only HDMI-ARC signals. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for your reply Bruce, that would be a shame, and an oversight by Sonos however I do still have the optical to HDMI option which works, so all is not lost.

It’s also a shame that they didn’t also include line-in as an option, the Beam definitely is poor on connectivity compared to some other soundbars.

Just a minor correction, the adapter that Sonos makes is optical to HDMI-ARC. Given the nature of the discussion, it seems to be relavent. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@dazkgoodwin2 We would not disagree about the fact that the Beam would have been better if it could be used as the “Hub” for all your homecinema and musical needs. If you could connect all your devices (PS4, disc player, STB etc.) to it it would not have relied on the connected TV as much as it does now - bringing with it complaints about the ability (of the TV) to send Dolby Digital to it. Disadvantage of this would be a lot af cables on top of my cabinet though…....

We would disagree about your description for the fact you cannot (with good results) connect the Beam to a homecinema receiver as “an oversight by Sonos. This is not an oversight; the Beam simply wasn’t built and isn’t supposed to be used like you want it to. It is supposed to be connected to the TV as a 3.0 (left,mid, right) speaker and not as a part of a system also containing a homecinema receiver. I guess your not looking for a soundbar, but for a center speaker.

You mention the missing line in. Though that would have been nice (it would have saved me buying a Connect to go with my CD-player) that also would have resulted in a delay, needed for buffering on all Sonos devices.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for the reply. I realised the adaptor feeds optical to the HDMI over ARC, as a workaround for non-ARC TVs, so that's a welcome little dongle in the box.

You're right though, the Beam is intended for consumers looking for a home cinema soundbar, not to add to an existing set up, my main purpose was to extend my Sonos music set up to my lounge, and the Beam is perfect, it almost disappears in front of the TV, so I'm very happy with it. 

If I want to listen to TV on the Beam I can still do that, and turn down the receiver speakers, so I've got options. Despite the recent update controversy, I've been a very happy Sonos customer for ten years. 😀

Userlevel 1
Badge

SOLUTION! Found it myself.. yes you can use the Beam in combo with an existing surround system, the Sonos app under the beam has a setting for TV sync delay, +2 and it’s in sync with my system. Cheers.

SOLUTION! Found it myself.. yes you can use the Beam in combo with an existing surround system, the Sonos app under the beam has a setting for TV sync delay, +2 and it’s in sync with my system. Cheers.

I use the “TV dialog sync” slider bar too, when playing stereo audio from the TV with its in-built Apps like YouTube/Spotify/Deezer/Amazon Music etc.. and grouping the Beam with several other “Sonos Rooms” (some of which are in the same physical room) as they then play the TV audio-out in “perfect sync” across all the grouped rooms. Great for watching the general terrestrial TV channels too.. that’s if you like audio coming from all areas.

How do I use the sonos beam as a speaker to my hifi Denon AVR X500 receiver? 

How do I use the sonos beam as a speaker to my hifi Denon AVR X500 receiver? 

It can’t be done, as far as I can see, that’s from looking at the connections online on the rear of the device.