Skip to main content

Hello,

I am planning to buy Sonos Beam gen 2 but I see that it requires ARC/eARC to play Atmos while the TV has no such port but it has MHL 3 port.

My question is, if I will be able to enjoy Atmos using this HDMI port and if not, what would be the best format that I will be able to stream. 

Also, please tell us if there are any kinds of converters which may help.

Thank you in advance!

Best Regards,

Nikolay H.

Which model of Philips TV do you have? Any chance of posting a link to the manual, so we can look at the specifications?

Hello and thank you for the reply.

I have checked the manual and it actually seems that the HDMI port 1 is ARC, which is good news :D

https://www.documents.philips.com/assets/20230306/dc964c27797d444399aaafbd011aaf59.pdf?_ga=2.145105716.1442798701.1690899229-1219000764.1690899229

Could you please check this as well and tell me if the TV is good for the Beam gen 2 and Atmos sound.

Thank you in advance!

There are essentially two types of Atmos, one encoded in Dolby Digital Plus, which most streaming video sources use, the other is encoded in MAT, which, to the best of my knowledge, is only used (in streaming video) by Apple (although this can be adjusted in Apple TV’s settings). Dolby Digital Plus can be carried by ARC, but MAT requires eARC. 

Lots of information there, but essentially, you’ll be fine connecting your Beam to the HDMI 1 port on your TV, and it should send Atmos data from the TV to the Beam, assuming there is Atmos content there. 

Thank you a lot Airgetlam!

This was really useful information and I am now going to buy the Beam gen 2 in the next following days to see how it goes.

Thanks again and have a great day ahead!

Best Regards,

Nikolay H.