Answered

Sonos Arc with home theater and turntable

Hi,

I currently have a Sonos Arc, and I’m planning to buy a couple of Era 100 and a Sub to build a home theater system.

I would also like to use that system to play vinyl, and I could buy a Pro-ject T1 Phono turntable, both line in or bluetooth.

What is the best way to use a turntable with an Arc+2 Era100 home theater system?

icon

Best answer by jgatie 22 May 2023, 18:37

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7

The line-in and Bluetooth features will be disabled when the Era 100s are used as surrounds with the Arc. So you need to get another Sonos device with line-in like a Port, Era 100, Era 300, or Five to connect the turntable. Or you can connect via Bluetooth using a Roam, Roam SL, Era 100, or Era 300 and share the Bluetooth audio with the Arc setup. But the line-in option is the most reliable option that will give you the best audio quality.

The support told me that an option would be to switch off the home theater via app and create a speaker group with the arc and the 2 Era 100 to play the turntbale, and then switch back the home theater setting when watching the tv. But I’m trying to understand how easy that would be: if it is a 30sec settings or something that will require minutes…

The other question is: can I have my Arc+2 Era 100 set up as a home theater AND as a group to play music from line in sources? So that I have to only seitch between the 2 without the need to reconfigure them all?

Userlevel 7

You could remove the Era 100s as surrounds each time you want to play turntable audio, but this process can take a minute or two. You will also lose any saved Trueplay tuning on the Arc setup which means when you add the Era 100s back as surrounds, you will have to redo Trueplay. IMO, it’s not worth the hassle.

So I need let’s say a third Era 100, connected with the turntable via line-in, that will be not included in the sorround system, but will be configured in a speaker group with the other speakers+arc right? 

The only other way could be to connect the turntable via a Port/Amp to the Arc but it way more expensive.

Otherway it looks like I cannot use my home-theater setup to play the turntable easily

So I need let’s say a third Era 100, connected with the turntable via line-in, that will be not included in the sorround system, but will be configured in a speaker group with the other speakers+arc right? 

The only other way could be to connect the turntable via a Port/Amp to the Arc but it way more expensive.

Otherway it looks like I cannot use my home-theater setup to play the turntable easily

You do not need to group the line-in 100 with the Arc+100s.  The line-in can be used as a source by any and all Sonos rooms in your system.  Just choose the Arc room, then select the line-in source from the browse menu.  You can even play another source on the single 100 while the Arc is playing the line-in. 

Hi mfsephirot, 

Sorry to jump on an old post, but if you get to read this, what solution did you land on? I have two era100’s and I plan to connect them to a turntable. I’m also considering buying a Beam in the future with a view to building a home theater system. Did you remove and re-add the Era 100s as surrounds? If so was it a hassle, or easy enough? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It’s a hassle. And you lose any Trueplay setting with every change.

Hi All,

I ended up buying another ERA 100 (I found a good sale on a local store), and connecting that one with the turntable.

I configured the autoplay on the sorround system, so as soon as I play a vynil it starts playing on the sorround system (arc+sub+2 era 100).

So basically the 3rd ERA 100 is an expensive brick that will never play anything :)

At least I didn’t have to change the sorround+trueplay configuration.

Hope this helps!

Thank you, appreciate the feedback :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@mfsephirot If you look at it that way, the Port would have been an even more expensive brick……

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

A cheaper option is a used S2 capable Connect but that has the usual “used” possibilities for problems. I’d go with the Port if at all possible.