Sonos Arc loud pop then audio loss

Userlevel 3

I was playing on my Xbox when the arc suddenly made an extremely loud pop sound and then lost audio completely. The app wouldn’t let me adjust the volume and Alexa wake up didn’t emit its usual tone. I had to remove the power from the arc and reapply which resumed the audio. I’m concerned that one of the speakers in the arc may have been damaged when this happened. Has anyone had this issue?

We have had no issues with the arc since purchasing it earlier this year.

Corry P 5 months ago

Hi Everyone!

Good news! We are pleased to share that our team has identified a fix for the popping sound on Arc and it will be shipped to all customers as part of a software release today, Thursday Nov 16 at 09:30 ET, 14:30 GMT, 15:30 CET. Please note that some app stores may take an extra hour or two for it to become available.

During our investigation we uncovered a rare bug that impacts how Sonos Arc and Beam (Gen 2) in certain home theater configurations process Dolby MAT, a streaming technology which is used to deliver Dolby Atmos audio over HDMI. Occasionally a Sonos product will receive a corrupted audio segment from an external source and needs to filter out unwanted audio data. The bug we identified was allowing our Dolby decoder to play audible errors on certain home theater setups rather than concealing them. The solution we’ve built and tested improves our Dolby decoder so it better filters out corrupt audio data that can manifest as a popping sound. We’ll continue to monitor customer feedback closely after the fix has been released and ship additional updates if necessary.

We strive to deliver the best listening experience possible and work to address major issues that impact our customers. We apologize for the disruption this bug has caused and want to thank you for your patience while our team developed a fix.

We would also like to thank our community users for their detailed setup information and steps to reproduce the issue, which were helpful to us in uncovering the cause of the bug.

View original

1200 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

A Sonos Pop Prayer:

Sonos Pop doesn’t happen.

And if it does, it’s not that bad.

And if it is, it’s only one source.

And if it’s many, other speakers pop too.

And if they don’t, you can’t replicate it.

And if you can, it’s not Sonos fault.

And if it is, users should be patient.

And if they are, then what’s the problem?

Amen, brother

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hey guys I have received back an email from Sonos Level 3 support team . It looks like they have more info about the POP and sounded promising . Will keep you guys updated soon once I receive more info from them 

Moderator edit: removed case number from picture

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hey guys I have received back an email from Sonos Level 3 support team . It looks like they have more info about the POP and sounded promising . Will keep you guys updated soon once I receive more info from them 

Golly, I wonder happened to kickstart the investigation??

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Golly, I wonder happened to kickstart the investigation??

I’m certain it was Sonos good will and had nothing to do with The Verge putting them on blast by advising no one to support their products until there is a fix. 

On a side note I installed a full Arc+Sub+Era 300 system for a client yesterday. He loved it but I showed him the Verge video where he demonstrates the bang and he was startled. He was actually considering returning everything but I told him to wait up and let’s see how this progresses during his return window. 

Hi all,

I have a Sonos Arc and Sub Gen 3. 
They’ve been “exploding” on occasion… I’d say once in every ten times I use it. I have it connected to my PC via the eARC port on my LG 42” C2 which I use for gaming. I have Dolby Atmos selected in my PC sound options for the LG TV output. It’s very loud when it bangs. The TV screen flickers and Arc restarts when it happens. 

I just a got off the phone with Sonos support and like others have mentioned, they now seem to be taking the issue seriously. They acknowledge that a software issue exists and that their engineers are working on a fix but no timeframe at the moment. 

I can’t get CEC to disable on this TV… just keeps coming back on, so no workaround for me. I refuse to use Dolby 5.1… I didn’t spend £800 for audio I could get from my old Sonos PlayBase. 

Cheers

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Side note, anyone else find it frustrating that mods are clearly looking at this thread and taking the time to do things like manually blur out case numbers in screenshots and censor naughty words but they’ve basically gone radio silent otherwise?

Like, look at the beginning of the thread and we have responses from @Corry P on every page and now?  It’s been like two months since we’ve gotten a response.

In light of the articles that have come out it sure would be nice to know if Sonos has anything to say to us, the customers affected by the issue.

Two different missions. One is to protect us users from the vagaries of posting inappropriate data online so that it might be used against us in some way, the other is being a spokesman for an entire company. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I hope this is leading up to the solution we’ve all been waiting for. Fingers crossed 🤞 

Badge

Hola, a mi también me sucede con mi Sonos BEAM gen 2 y la xbox x por dolby atmos eARC de repente a veces explota el audio y la barra se reinicia de nuevo

Happened to me as well on my Arc. It is reproducible for me. When I run steam in Big Picture mode and start a game, it pops.

LG G2 TV via eArc

Userlevel 3
Badge

Any luck with the new Sonos update today? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Any luck with the new Sonos update today? 

If @Paul Tsang ‘s conversation with support is anything to go off of, it’s probably going to be a few more patch cycles before we can expect to really see anything at all.

For what it’s worth, current notes are just “bug fixes and enhancements”.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/release-notes-for-sonos-s2

Really glad someone brought this to light...I had no idea about the issue until recently and I have a Sonos Arc on my wishlist for the house we’re building (I’m still game if they issue a fix). Good luck to you all, hope they release a fix soon!!

My Decade-Long Advocacy for Sonos Comes to an End…

I’ve been a Sonos advocate since 2010, a relationship that lasted longer than most Hollywood marriages. Over the years, I've filled nearly every room in my home with Sonos speakers, singing the brand's praises to friends and family who then also took the plunge into this wireless speaker ecosystem. My faith was so unwavering that I even invested in Sonos by purchasing a significant number of shares in the company. But, much like any relationship that ends bitterly, my story with Sonos has reached an unfortunate climax.

In 2021, I decided to up the ante by converting my home cinema into a Sonos sanctuary. My set-up included a Sonos Arc, Ones, and not one but two Subs. The vision was cinematic audio bliss. However, the reality has been far from it.

For the last two years, my movie-watching experience has been marred by an incessant, loud popping sound emanating from the Sonos system. To put it mildly, it's been a pain. It’s like having an uninvited guest in your home that not only interrupts your movie but yells in your ear while doing so. 

What adds salt to the wound is the customer support experience. I contacted Sonos support three times, hoping for a resolution. Each time, I was met with the blame being shifted onto my TV or some other random piece of equipment. Following their suggestions, I replaced my TV and even my Apple TV, but to no avail. 

The only “solution” has been to disable CEC and Atmos features—two of the main reasons I invested in the system in the first place. This is the equivalent of buying a sports car only to find out it can’t go above 30 mph.

I reached out to Sonos one last time, asking for either a replacement or a refund. As you might have guessed, both requests were met with a hard no. At this point, it became clear: Sonos had their chances and they've lost a once-devoted advocate.

So, I’ve made a painful decision. I’m selling all my Sonos equipment and even offloading my shares in the company. My decade-long advocacy for Sonos has come to an abrupt and disappointing end. As I transition to another system, one thing remains crystal clear: no brand, no matter how much nostalgia or trust it has built up, can rest on its laurels indefinitely. Sometimes, you just have to know when to move on.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I understand where you’re coming from. I really want to upgrade my rears from Sonos One to Era 300.

But if Sonos won’t even put a disclaimer or FAQ on the Arc so that buyers can know about the potential problem with Dolby MAT sources, how can I trust them to buy more equipment?

Product mistakes happen. However, when I’ve had an affected Apple product (widespread MacBook mainboard problem back in the day) or Microsoft product (red ring of death), there was public communication and they offered repair or replacement programs to make it right. That’s part of the reason I continue to buy Apple and Microsoft hardware. 

I have had this happening for the last month. Getting a little old. I love the Arc but may have to hook up the Beam Gen 2 if this problem persists or drop Sonos all together and move on.

I’m having the exact same issues described in this thread - loud short and sharp bang followed by loss of audio. I have an Arc, Sub Gen 3, and two One SL’s as surrounds. It has happened for me a number of times over about a year, but only when using an Xbox (currently Series X, but also happened on Xbox One S previously). I have an LG TV (CX55) connected through eARC connection to the Arc. Is there a fix or workaround for this yet? Also is there a way to accurately run a diagnostic test to ensure that no damage has been caused to the Arc’s speakers etc? Thanks for your help 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Sorry to hear you’re affected. The workarounds that work for some: try turning off CEC or Dolby Vision. If that doesn’t work, you have to turn off Atmos. 

Sonos says that Sonos Pop does not harm the speakers.

Just wanted to post here that I was researching some info on beam vs arc, and then stumbled onto this thread. I will postpone buying anything Sonos, and it looks like this thing reached escape velocity in internetland and is about to turn into a significant PR issue.

Would be great to have this resolved. ARC popping on the Xbox series x, Lg C2 is becoming more frequent. I think. 

Badge

Yo he vendido ya mi SONOS Beam 2 , se acabo la espera

he adquirido otra marca que este mas atenta a los errores de sus productos 

Badge

Experienced that "pop" for the first time last night playing FIFA23 on my XBox X...An hour later had my second experience... All seemed to be normal after I repowered the ARC

Hi all,

Experienced this a while ago, it frightened me and my cats so much I immediately turned of HDMI-CEC on the Xbox Series X.

Didn’t happen again until yesterday when launching Starfield for the first time, I had a series of loud pops over about 30 seconds, the cats ran out of the house in shock! It settled while playing, though it happened again on quick resuming Starfield after about an hour off. The cats went again and they’d only just returned to the house. Suffice to say they are very suspicious of the Sonos Arc now. 

Badge +1

A possible solution to this Arc pop problem for some or maybe many?

No AppleTV or Xbox involved but this solved the “Arc pop and then no sound” for me.

Yesterday, hooked up brand new set of Arc with two 300s as surrounds: ethernet-connected Arc and 300s wifi connected. Did not go through the full setup steps but simply used the S2 app to get them grouped together as Arc + Surround in “one room” and played some music & television, saving steps like Trueplay for later due to some noise in the environment that could not be cleared for a few hours. All sounded great for those couple of hours.

Connection was over HDMI eArc from a television. User uses apps on a mid-brand smart TV to watch streaming content. Not knowing about this thread, I went into the TV menus to be sure eARC was “on” and spatial audio was “on” in the S2 app. Again, all sounded great. 

Then, as a potential last step in the basic setup process when the environmental noise was quieted, I ran Trueplay. I’ve done this on other Sonos systems and never had any issue. However, immediately after completing Trueplay, the ARC made the pop-pop-pop sounds described in this thread whether playing Sonos Radio music or watching anything on TV. Light would flash orange. Sound would completely cease on Arc but still play in the two 300s. So Arc wasn’t dead, but seemingly in duress or potentially damaged.

I didn’t know this was widespread issue, so I did the obvious thing: unplug Arc, wait about 2 minutes, plug it back in. Pop-pop-pop. I tried this a couple of times with more time unplugged but all efforts led back to Pops and then either low sound or no sound performance of Arc (but still normal sound from the 300s). 

The whole setup had been purchased from a local retailer and time to close was approaching fast. Without the time to discover a thread like this or even seek help from Sonos Customer Service, we assumed speaker blew and tried to go swap it for another Arc. Store was closed, so the exchange got delayed to today. 

Last night, looking for any other solution, I found this thread (and many others) and was very disappointed to see how widespread the problem appears to be… and that it is getting blamed on AppleTV & Xbox (neither applying in this setup) and/or getting remedy advice like turn off CEC and/or Spatial. Digesting all of that, I thought through cause & effect: what did I do just before the popping started? Trueplay setup. All was fine for maybe 2 hours before that step.

So before swapping, I decided to turn off Trueplay in S2 app and give it another try: Pop-Pop-Pop. So then I unplugged Arc, waited a few minutes, reset to factory, and then added it back to the system to get it and 300s connected again. 

Put on some music and all sounded great. Left it playing for a couple of hours just in case perhaps temps/time had something to do with this problem. Nope. Tried television with eArc “on” and spatial “on” in the app: all just fine. Did some manual fine tuning in EQ, loudness of surrounds, height volume, bass & treble etc (things I would expect Trueplay to do) and then more testing, including with spatial audio. All just fine. It sounds as great as some of us know Arc and surrounds can sound. 

It’s been playing all day- mixes of music and television- with no issues. All other variables are as they were when I was getting the “Pop” issue EXCEPT- and this is key- this time I didn’t run Trueplay at all. 

While just a single case scenario, this makes me suspect that Trueplay is a good candidate to be the source of the issue. In the step-by-step setup process in S2, Trueplay is just one of the steps. I suspect many people just execute the steps. If so- if they just run Trueplay as recommended- perhaps that’s what triggers the issue?

I’ve had my own Arc + Move set for a few years and have Trueplayed it several times with no “pops.” I was tempted to run Trueplay again on this new setup to see if this hypothesis would repeat but I didn’t want to “mess it up” if that single variable was the cause (as it strongly seems to me through this- albeit- single sample).

If some of you got the “pops” issues AFTER running Trueplay, consider testing this hypothesis by resetting the popping speaker to factory, setting it back up again, but BYPASSING the Trueplay step. Maybe you’ll either just be lucky as this one may have been for me or maybe this will narrow this issue in on running Trueplay… which would give Sonos a more specific area on which to focus than apparently thinking the issue is OUTSIDE of Sonos products. 

Perhaps this has already been discovered and disproved earlier in the 42 pages of this or other threads- I didn’t read it all- but I share all this to hopefully help some of you who might just follow the recommended steps and thus crash into this problem. If some of you “fix” it by this method, let Sonos know and perhaps they can pound through the Trueplay code to find what may be the bug(s) that may be driving this issue for some or many (or maybe all???) of us. It’s easy enough to try.

I hope this helps some of you. I’m glad it did the trick for this new system.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Certainly is an interesting angle to come from.  Couple of questions though.  When you got the pop-pop-pop.  I’m assuming it was one pop at a time but was it a gunshot type blast?  Did you by chance have a chance to look into the app to see what audio codec you were using when the pop happened?  Reason I ask is that you say it also happened when you were watching TV.  I don’t know if any TV service today that encodes Dolby MAT Atmos in their feed so I’m assuming that you were either DD+ or 5.1

If that’s the case, I am curious if it is the same Atmos pop that this thread has experienced.  None the less, I will try the theory because enough things from your experience resonated for me

Thanks