Sonos Arc loud pop then audio loss

Userlevel 3

I was playing on my Xbox when the arc suddenly made an extremely loud pop sound and then lost audio completely. The app wouldn’t let me adjust the volume and Alexa wake up didn’t emit its usual tone. I had to remove the power from the arc and reapply which resumed the audio. I’m concerned that one of the speakers in the arc may have been damaged when this happened. Has anyone had this issue?

We have had no issues with the arc since purchasing it earlier this year.

Corry P 4 months ago

Hi Everyone!

Good news! We are pleased to share that our team has identified a fix for the popping sound on Arc and it will be shipped to all customers as part of a software release today, Thursday Nov 16 at 09:30 ET, 14:30 GMT, 15:30 CET. Please note that some app stores may take an extra hour or two for it to become available.

During our investigation we uncovered a rare bug that impacts how Sonos Arc and Beam (Gen 2) in certain home theater configurations process Dolby MAT, a streaming technology which is used to deliver Dolby Atmos audio over HDMI. Occasionally a Sonos product will receive a corrupted audio segment from an external source and needs to filter out unwanted audio data. The bug we identified was allowing our Dolby decoder to play audible errors on certain home theater setups rather than concealing them. The solution we’ve built and tested improves our Dolby decoder so it better filters out corrupt audio data that can manifest as a popping sound. We’ll continue to monitor customer feedback closely after the fix has been released and ship additional updates if necessary.

We strive to deliver the best listening experience possible and work to address major issues that impact our customers. We apologize for the disruption this bug has caused and want to thank you for your patience while our team developed a fix.

We would also like to thank our community users for their detailed setup information and steps to reproduce the issue, which were helpful to us in uncovering the cause of the bug.

View original

1200 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi,

Just to add I have had an ARC since not longer after release. Xbox series X and pops from the start. Replaced one ARC kind of just waited for the firmware fix that hasn’t arrived,

Tried the CEC and atmos disable solutions. Neither of these worked, still get pops. They have suddenly become much more frequent.

I also note the Sonos ERA have the same issue. I am not sure why reviewers are not picking this up. I did email a couple to say they should be calling it out.

I am guessing it’s not fixable and Sonos are just staying quiet but they are at a point where they need to say not compatible with Xbox and Apple TV as a minimum.

Even if turning off atmos did work this is their atmos product. Its like a car manufacturer telling you to not go above 20.

I am going to be asking for a full refund on my Sonos setup and when they refuse I shall take them to small claims court (UK) as the product is not fit for purpose.

Suggest others follow suit.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi,

Just to add I have had an ARC since not longer after release. Xbox series X and pops from the start. Replaced one ARC kind of just waited for the firmware fix that hasn’t arrived,

Tried the CEC and atmos disable solutions. Neither of these worked, still get pops. They have suddenly become much more frequent.

I also note the Sonos ERA have the same issue. I am not sure why reviewers are not picking this up. I did email a couple to say they should be calling it out.

I am guessing it’s not fixable and Sonos are just staying quiet but they are at a point where they need to say not compatible with Xbox and Apple TV as a minimum.

Even if turning off atmos did work this is their atmos product. Its like a car manufacturer telling you to not go above 20.

I am going to be asking for a full refund on my Sonos setup and when they refuse I shall take them to small claims court (UK) as the product is not fit for purpose.

Suggest others follow suit.

It’s not a good look. As I’ve stated before I’m a home theater installer and have generally recommended Sonos over any system other than a receiver setup. That’s come to a complete stand still until Sonos fixes this issue as I cannot recommend something to a client that doesn’t work properly in my own home. That’s quite a bit of lost sales as I have sold quite a few of them. I am not sure Sonos cares but whatever. 

Be better. Don’t make Bose look superior to you…

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Still not one single word from the Sonos rep ? @Corry P 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have the problem since March 2022. And I tried all the things called here. All without success.

Finally I read that you should turn off trueplay and then run Dolby Atmos MAT. I wanted to try that next.

If you're experiencing a loud pop followed by audio loss on your Sonos Arc soundbar, it could be due to a few different factors. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Ensure the Sonos Arc is properly connected: Check that all cables are securely plugged into their respective ports, both on the soundbar and the TV or audio source.

2. Check the audio source: Verify that the audio source (TV, streaming device, etc.) is set to output audio to the Sonos Arc. Check the audio settings on your device and ensure it is correctly configured to send audio to the soundbar.

3. Restart the Sonos system: Power off the Sonos Arc and any other Sonos components you have, including the Sonos app. Wait a few seconds, then power them back on. This can help resolve temporary software or connectivity issues.

4. Update Sonos software: Ensure that your Sonos system is running the latest software version. Open the Sonos app on your mobile device or computer, go to Settings, and check for any available updates.

5. Reset the Sonos Arc: If the issue persists, you can try performing a factory reset on the Sonos Arc. Keep in mind that this will erase any custom settings or configurations you have made on the soundbar.

6. Contact Sonos support: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it's recommended to reach out to Sonos customer support for further assistance. They can provide specific troubleshooting guidance or determine if there may be a hardware issue with your Sonos Arc that needs to be addressed.

Remember to consult the Sonos user manual or support resources for detailed instructions specific to your model and setup.

Regards;

David Johson.

Userlevel 1

If you're experiencing a loud pop followed by audio loss on your Sonos Arc soundbar, it could be due to a few different factors. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Ensure the Sonos Arc is properly connected: Check that all cables are securely plugged into their respective ports, both on the soundbar and the TV or audio source.

2. Check the audio source: Verify that the audio source (TV, streaming device, etc.) is set to output audio to the Sonos Arc. Check the audio settings on your device and ensure it is correctly configured to send audio to the soundbar.

3. Restart the Sonos system: Power off the Sonos Arc and any other Sonos components you have, including the Sonos app. Wait a few seconds, then power them back on. This can help resolve temporary software or connectivity issues.

4. Update Sonos software: Ensure that your Sonos system is running the latest software version. Open the Sonos app on your mobile device or computer, go to Settings, and check for any available updates.

5. Reset the Sonos Arc: If the issue persists, you can try performing a factory reset on the Sonos Arc. Keep in mind that this will erase any custom settings or configurations you have made on the soundbar.

6. Contact Sonos support: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it's recommended to reach out to Sonos customer support for further assistance. They can provide specific troubleshooting guidance or determine if there may be a hardware issue with your Sonos Arc that needs to be addressed.

Remember to consult the Sonos user manual or support resources for detailed instructions specific to your model and setup.

Regards;

David Johson.

Man really? Are you a bot? Have you actually read this thread? Do you really think this post added any value to this conversation at all?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I have the problem since March 2022. And I tried all the things called here. All without success.

Finally I read that you should turn off trueplay and then run Dolby Atmos MAT. I wanted to try that next.

I actually wonder if this is a thing. I hadn’t had a single issue until sometime after I tuned my system using TruePlay. Doubtful, but worth a try. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Regards;

David Johson.

Man really? Are you a bot? Have you actually read this thread? Do you really think this post added any value to this conversation at all?

I feel it added as much value to my life as an ingrown toenail. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I actually wonder if this is a thing. I hadn’t had a single issue until sometime after I tuned my system using TruePlay. Doubtful, but worth a try. 

I just tried it with Forza Horizon 5 and it popped within 5 seconds. 

Failed experiment. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Failed experiment. 

I don't know what else to try. Maybe it's just a hardware defect that Sonos doesn't want to admit…

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Failed experiment. 

I don't know what else to try. Maybe it's just a hardware defect that Sonos doesn't want to admit…

I’m not even sure. All I know is I need a fix that involves Sonos and no others because this is their issue. I don’t need to hear them blame others when the only common denominator is Atmos on Sonos. 

Userlevel 1

Update 15.4 is available

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Update 15.4 is available

But doesn’t help for me… :-(

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Update 15.4 is available

By that do you mean it still has issues?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Update 15.4 is available

By that do you mean it still has issues?

Yes, after 15.4 Update still dropping atmos sound in different intervals sometimes also starting with a loud plopping. Worst if using apple tv 4k with any service playing Atmos content. 
Playing true HD Atmos ftom BD player drops sound much less often… only one time for 30 seconds after playing without problems for half an hour before. 
So imho Sonos has more or less problems playing atmos from different sources, but definitely it has problems. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Shocker…

As someone with an Arc + Sub + 2x Era 300 I refuse to disable Atmos as that’s the whole reasoning for my setup. 

Sonos support has been useless here. I am not giving up on my Xbox or Apple TV. This issue needs a fix today. Screw their “performance and stability updates” that fix things I’ve never noticed. I need it to fix the biggest issues plaguing them. 

I should have bought Bose

Edit: I called Sonos and they’re adamant that their engineers are looking into it and she took my information. I don’t expect much but she did call me back 20 minutes later to ask me what model TV I have (Sony A80J) and if I’m using eARC which I am. They also took my address because they may want to send me a replacement which I’m okay with even though I doubt that’s the issue. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Shocker…

As someone with an Arc + Sub + 2x Era 300 I refuse to disable Atmos as that’s the whole reasoning for my setup. 

Sonos support has been useless here. I am not giving up on my Xbox or Apple TV. This issue needs a fix today. Screw their “performance and stability updates” that fix things I’ve never noticed. I need it to fix the biggest issues plaguing them. 

Edit: I called Sonos and they’re adamant that their engineers are looking into it and she took my information. I don’t expect much but she did call me back 20 minutes later to ask me what model TV I have (Sony A80J) and if I’m using eARC which I am. They also took my address because they may want to send me a replacement which I’m okay with even though I doubt that’s the issue. 

Can I ask how long you’ve had your Arc? I was a very early adopter. When I’ve called and asked for replacement, they tell me it’s out of warranty. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Shocker…

Can I ask how long you’ve had your Arc? I was a very early adopter. When I’ve called and asked for replacement, they tell me it’s out of warranty. 

March 25th, 2022 was delivery day. I set it up when I moved in to my new home on April 23rd, 2022. 

If the issue is indeed hardware, which I’ve yet to see any indication of such, they need to replace every one regardless of the purchase date. This is happening to newer and older units alike so whatever the solution is they’ll need to eat the cost. 

In my case I didn’t ask for a replacement. She called me back and stated that they may want to send me one as it could be hardware related. I should hear back in 24-48 hours. 

They wanted to go over troubleshooting steps with me but I shut them down quickly saying I’ve tried everything already. I quickly informed them that I’m an advanced home theater installer (I do simple set ups to the expensive projector/audio setups) and can troubleshoot without instruction. 

I simply told her that I have a full Atmos setup that requires the Atmos to work properly. I’m not sure if a replacement would be sent based on my continued support and because I have Era 300 which are Atmos and a failed Soundbar ruins that. Who really knows what Sonos thinks here. I just want it fixed for us all. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Quick question

Is everyone using the HDMI Cable that came with their Sonos? I highly doubt this would cause the issue but just thinking outside the box. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Quick question

Is everyone using the HDMI Cable that came with their Sonos? I highly doubt this would cause the issue but just thinking outside the box. 

No I don’t. All my devices are connected with the following HDMI cable:

4m 8K HDMI Kabel 2.1-8K@60Hz 4K @... https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08GL1C4N3?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Just a thought, has anyone tried to get any of the tech sites to cover this?  I’m thinking like Ars Technica or the like.  Some additional pressure and eyes on the issue might help get the ball rolling on this.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Just a thought, has anyone tried to get any of the tech sites to cover this?  I’m thinking like Ars Technica or the like.  Some additional pressure and eyes on the issue might help get the ball rolling on this.

I have not. 

I was contacted by Sonos Level 2 Support regarding this. 

“Hello Stephen,

This is Bryan from Sonos Level 2 Support. I received your case. This case will be escalated to our Engineering team for further investigation, but I need to ask you a question first: What audio format are you playing when you experience these screeching sounds in your Sonos Arc (PCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Atmos...)?

I will be eagerly awaiting your answer.”

I let them know that it’s only when Atmos is in use and even linked them to this ongoing discussion. I also sent them the video one user posted above showing the issue at hand. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I have not. 

“Hello Stephen,

This is Bryan from Sonos Level 2 Support. I received your case. This case will be escalated to our Engineering team for further investigation, but I need to ask you a question first: What audio format are you playing when you experience these screeching sounds in your Sonos Arc (PCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Atmos...)?

I let them know that it’s only when Atmos is in use and even linked them to this ongoing discussion. I also sent them the video one user posted above showing the issue at hand. 

Basic Questions like this two years in is pretty darn comical at this point.  Right hand isn’t talking to the left.  Makes you wonder if engineering are even spending time on a fix.  None of Sonos blanket silence passes the smell test here

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I have not. 

“Hello Stephen,

The fact that Sonos support still acts completely surprised by this issue and asking these same questions every time is mind blowing. I stopped calling many months ago cause the first question was always the same… ‘is your Arc plugged in correctly?’ 🤷‍♂️

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

For real… 

I am not expecting much but I am trying anyway.