Sonos Arc loud pop then audio loss

Show first post

1200 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I had time to test with Dolby Vision off today. Used the Xbox to mix things up. Sure enough, pop and audio loss. Interestingly audio came back after changing Xbox settings back to 7.1 LCPM, without having to reboot. 

Same thing happened to me today playing Xbox. This sucks since I was enjoying the atmos effects playing cod

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

@Corry P Any update on any of this? We see more and more posts like this one with no reply. It’s as if your customers are yelling for help in a dark room. It’s hard to believe the only responses we’ve seen from Sonos is that it’s happening to other un-named Atmos sound-bars. There are no other updates to an issue that’s serious and going on a year old? Thanks for any feedback you can give us.

Btw, when I call Sonos support I’m still told to change the cables. 🤷‍♂️😵‍💫

I second the request for an update. It’s been 2 months since @Corry P last posted in this thread. Is there any progress? Has Sonos at least been able to reproduce the problem? Are any combinations of components (subs, surrounds, TVs) immune?

At this point, I’m willing to spend literally $1,000 if it means I can finally enjoy Atmos from my Apple TV and Xbox.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Coming in with a one month update since I decided to turn off “Auto HDR” (which in tandem with Dolby Vision forced Dolby Vision for all games) on the series X, and I have been pop free the entire time.  

For those that still get the issue with Dolby he series x, what are your settings and where do you get the pop?  (During gameplay, streaming movies or music, or returning to the home screen)

I am becoming somewhat confident we are stating to get to the root of the problem and perhaps the fault might not lie entirely in Sonos court.  I do think that Sonos could deal with the pop exception a little better though.  

Userlevel 1

Coming in with a one month update since I decided to turn off “Auto HDR” (which in tandem with Dolby Vision forced Dolby Vision for all games) on the series X, and I have been pop free the entire time.  

For those that still get the issue with Dolby he series x, what are your settings and where do you get the pop?  (During gameplay, streaming movies or music, or returning to the home screen)

I am becoming somewhat confident we are stating to get to the root of the problem and perhaps the fault might not lie entirely in Sonos court.  I do think that Sonos could deal with the pop exception a little better though.  

I have a Samsung S95B with HDR, HDR10, VRR, ALLM, and sometimes 120Hz enabled and I get the pop issue while playing games.  It is not exclusive to Dolby Vision as I don’t have it enabled (tv doesn’t support it).  I haven’t tested extensively beyond that in movies, etc because tbh I’m keeping it in Dolby Digital mode most of the time now for fear of damaging my Arc.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I run my Xbox Series X without Auto HDR. Also Dolby Vision is disabled because my TV lets you have VRR or Dolby Vision but not both. I run it at 4K60 VRR. 

I have gotten the pop within the last week with Atmos on. I have since turned Atmos back off.

Dolby Vision off is not the solution. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

So Sonos what is the solution if I want Dolby Atmos on my ARC? Hello? Are you there? 

This is a community website, if you want to talk directly to Sonos support, you need to call them. 

Userlevel 2
Badge
I know this is a community. But I'm frustrated. Please, read all comments from the beginning of this thread. Then there are probably 50 more threads about this problem in this community. The community has called support, reported and also emailed SONOS CEO. But nothing happens for more than a year. What is going on?

If I were to hazard a guess, it isn’t a Sonos issue. Sonos is likely just playing what it is handed by the TV set, and in some cases, the CEC connection is breaking at that point. But Sonos doesn’t control the signal that it’s handed, and implementing a random solution might affect other programs that are playing sound, so Sonos hasn’t been able to do anything. If this is an issue upstream, as I am guessing, than Sonos has likely notified both the CEC alliance, as well as both Microsoft and Apple, which seem to be involved in many of these errant setups.

But my guesses are just that, guesses, but based on the fact that Sonos hasn’t admitted an issue in their software, something they’ve been willing to do in many other issues, when it was their own fault. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

So we have Corry P employed at SONOS who likes the post above.
Are these the answers we will get from SONOS?

Corry P has been very active today on the community. With lots of written responses to other threads. But we get the thumbs up on a post.

Incidentally, I was at 9 dealers today. No one absolutely no one mentioned that there might be problems with Apple TV or Xbox if you want Dolby Atmos.

Sonos it's time to give us an answer. 

Has anyone tested the Apple TV 4K 3rd-gen with this issue yet? Thinking about picking one up today or tomorrow to see if the issue exists with that combination of hardware, I did try a bunch of config changes to my setup and had the pop happen within 30 minutes again

Confirmed this issue still exists in the Apple TV 4K 3rd Gen → Sony X90CH->eArc - Sonos Beam Gen2 +Sub Mini+ Pair of One SL. Loud pop with reboot of Beam.

Same content played from the same built in TV app (Prime Video) had no issues while playing in Atmos. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I tried the “disable Dolby Vision” on Apple TV and still had the pop occur when playing Atmos yesterday

mjherm, one thing I just discovered, is each time I set my video output to HDR60, then turned my Apple TV off, and then turned it back, it would automatically reset to Video output Dolby Vision. So I had to manually set it to HDR60 each time I turn on my Apple TV. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

At this point, I may have to sell my Sonos system, and just get the Sony HT-A9 sound system which I’ve been interested in.

Yesterday. Was watching Long Way Up ( a road show with no special effects) on Apple TV and all of a sudden, it felt like something exploded in my family room. First I thought the chimney had crashed into my fire place seriously then my wife pointed it out that it was the Arc. The same thing happened today when I began to watch Mad Max - Fury Road just when the movie began. 
Started happening after 14.19.1 update. I replayed the same scenes again when the arc made the exploding sound and couldn’t reproduce.

Everything below is less than a month old which makes up my family room.

LG C2 OLED 55 TV, Apple TV 4K (2022), Sonos Arc, 2 Subs Gen 3 & Gen 2, SL’s as surround. 

My bedroom is set up with LG C2 OLED 42 TV, Beam-2, Apple TV 4K (2022) Sub Mini and SL’s as rear. NO ISSUES HERE. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Sorry to hear it, dude. Once you’ve had the first pop, they keep coming back often. 

If you want to test, or catch a diagnostic, or get it on video: play an Apple Music spatial audio playlist on your Apple TV. I bet you’ll reliably get a pop inside 30 minutes. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Yesterday. Was watching Long Way Up ( a road show with no special effects) on Apple TV and all of a sudden, it felt like something exploded in my family room. First I thought the chimney had crashed into my fire place seriously then my wife pointed it out that it was the Arc. The same thing happened today when I began to watch Mad Max - Fury Road just when the movie began. 
Started happening after 14.19.1 update. I replayed the same scenes again when the arc made the exploding sound and couldn’t reproduce.

Everything below is less than a month old which makes up my family room.

LG C2 OLED 55 TV, Apple TV 4K (2022), Sonos Arc, 2 Subs Gen 3 & Gen 2, SL’s as surround. 

My bedroom is set up with Beam-2, Apple TV 4K (2022) Sub Mini and SL’s as rear. NO ISSUES HERE. 

Welcome to the club. Nice meeting you. You have an awesome and expensive set up. From what we’ve all been told by Sonos support your Arc is not damaged even though the pop was incredibly scary and loud. We’ve all been there. But that’s where the Sonos involvement kind of stops. You will find here a lot of Sonos’ premier customers discussing the serious issue of not being able to play Dolby Atmos on their premier Dolby Atmos product, the Sonos Arc. You’ll also find lot of incredible in depth good faith troubleshooting by many great Sonos customers. Even more discussion about whether it’s the fault of Sonos, the TV manufacturers, Apple or Microsoft. Unfortunately that’s about it. We all ask for Sonos updates from time to time but get none. The recommended solution is to turn off Dolby Atmos on your Apple TV. We all hope one day Sonos will take us more seriously, show us some respect and update us on any progress. 

Sorry to hear it, dude. Once you’ve had the first pop, they keep coming back often. 

If you want to test, or catch a diagnostic, or get it on video: play an Apple Music spatial audio playlist on your Apple TV. I bet you’ll reliably get a pop inside 30 minutes. 

I am playing ‘Made for Spatial Music’ on Apple Music thru my TV and Apple TV. Let’s see. Will post an update. 

My Living Room has an older setup as well with Beam, Play-1’s and Gen 2 sub. No serious issues ever for years in that setup. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I am playing ‘Made for Spatial Music’ on Apple Music thru my TV and Apple TV. Let’s see. Will post an update. 

My Living Room has an older setup as well with Beam, Play-1’s and Gen 2 sub. No serious issues ever for years in that setup. 

I had my same set up (Sony 900H, Apple TV4K, Sonos Arc, Sonos One Surrounds) for over a year with no issue ever. Then last spring, out of the blue: BANG. Then it popped every 15 to 20 minutes after that while watching Atmos Content. Sad. 

I played Apple Music for more than an hour (atmos) for nearly 2 hrs now. No issue.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I played Apple Music for more than an hour (atmos) for nearly 2 hrs now. No issue.

I’m rooting for you! Maybe you’ll be one bang and done. 

Has anyone using an external extractor such as the HD Fury Arcana, or the Feintech experienced this issue, or is it only coming from TV connected devices?

Userlevel 1

I have same issue. With Xbox and Apple TV4k (third generation). It’s been happening since I bought the Arc back when it first released. But I stopped using the Atmos part of it (soooo disappointed). Well I got the Apple TV4k yesterday and thought it might not have the same issue. I was wrong. This is ridiculous since I bought the system because of the Dolby Atmos. 

here are two reports within 10 mins of each other. 

send me a new arc! 

I turned Dolby Vision off on the Apple TV and left Atmos on, no issues so far. Any loss of Dolby Vision enhancements are not that apparent to me.

I appreciate Atmos and sacrificing Dolby Vision was not a big trade off for me. 

Userlevel 1

I think this solved the issue? I haven’t had the loud popping sound but still have ATMOS playing