Sonos Arc loud pop then audio loss

Show first post

1200 replies

This just happened to me and it was scary! 
can anyone help?

can anyone help?

If the matter does persist for you, then you are best to try to gather the evidence from your setup, perhaps take a video and/or submit diagnostic data, noting any reference(s) and pass all the information onto Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and then see what they suggest.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

can anyone help?

I recommend not wasting your time with Sonos support besides letting them know you too have this problem. Make sure to be ready to reference this thread as your support person will say this is the first time they’ve heard of it.

If you try to use support beyond that, they will make you spend many days jumping through hoops (factory reset, changing cables, submitting diagnostics, asking you to videotape the problem! etc) that will be fruitless. 

Read this thread. It’s a documented problem. There’s nothing you can do besides switching Atmos off on your source devices. All we can do is hope that Sonos will eventually fix the problem. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Has anyone reported this loud popping issue when using a Sonos Beam Gen 2 which also supports Atmos? I can find any documented issue on here. Wouldn't that help show that it’s an Arc issue or is that a too simplistic look at things? 

Honestly, I don’t think it’s a Sonos issue at all, i think it has to do with the device sending to the TV set, or the TV set sending to the Sonos, which just plays what it’s been told to play. Seems to be tied to MAT devices, such as Apple TVs and XBoxs more than anything else, but I’ve not been paying attention to TV sets in use, it could be there. CEC does make things much more complicated. 

Has anyone reported this loud popping issue when using a Sonos Beam Gen 2 which also supports Atmos? I can find any documented issue on here. Wouldn't that help show that it’s an Arc issue or is that a too simplistic look at things? 

I see there is a comment earlier in the thread here from Sonos Staff re: the ‘popping’ issue. See this link:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-arc-loud-pop-then-audio-loss-6852340/index12.html?postid=16610040#post16610040

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I see there is a comment earlier in the thread here from Sonos Staff re: the ‘popping’ issue. See this link:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-arc-loud-pop-then-audio-loss-6852340/index12.html?postid=16610040#post16610040

Like many users, I’ve been experiencing this popping issue on my Sonos Arc for many months and have reported it through every Sonos support channel possible. It pops every 30-45 minutes in my case. I have disabled the Atmos on my ATV4K but still go back in after any update on my TV, Sonos Arc or ATV4K. That staff reply you mentioned was to me. He said nothing about similar issues with the Beam Gen 2 Atmos enabled units and I’m trying to understand why users of that product aren’t having the same popping issues. 

I do find it interesting that we are not seeing comments in the Sonos community about the same thing happening to Beam Gen 2 users. I mean if it was ATV4K and Xbox specific I’m sure there are many like set up scenario that are with the Beam Gen 2 instead of the Arc and they would be getting the pop also. 

Signed: Frustrated as all heck. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Honestly, I don’t think it’s a Sonos issue at all, i think it has to do with the device sending to the TV set, or the TV set sending to the Sonos, which just plays what it’s been told to play. Seems to be tied to MAT devices, such as Apple TVs and XBoxs more than anything else, but I’ve not been paying attention to TV sets in use, it could be there. CEC does make things much more complicated. 

Then why aren’t we hearing about the same popping issue from customers of the Sonos Beam Gen 2 which is also Atmos capable? I’m guessing the Beam Gen 2 is being used by many, many customers with Apple TV’s and/or XBoxe units. Just seems odd that it’s only folks with the Arc, Apple TV and/or XBoxes. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Then why aren’t we hearing about the same popping issue from customers of the Sonos Beam Gen 2 which is also Atmos capable? I’m guessing the Beam Gen 2 is being used by many, many customers with Apple TV’s and/or XBoxe units. Just seems odd that it’s only folks with the Arc, Apple TV and/or XBoxes. 

Oh the people with Sonos Beam Gen 2 are having issues as well.  Just look at the recommended posts on the side of this page, there are 10 other posts from various other users on this same issue, some saying they have the Beam Gen 2.  I can’t believe this has been going on for over a year with no hint of resolution.  I have to reiterate again since Airgetlam keeps saying its not a Sonos issue, if that were the case then why do we not hear about other Atmos manufacturers dealing with the same issue?  This seems isolated to Sonos hardware right now as the worst I can read about any other sound system is some slight crackling with Atmos content, but the loud BANG definitely seems isolated to Sonos.

Userlevel 2
Badge

can anyone help?

Nope, Sonos dont care at all. You are on your own. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Sonos just say something, Please! 

There was a response from Sonos Staff here on this issue…

Presumably there’s nothing further to report at this stage, other than Sonos appear to be aware of other manufacturer brands experiencing the same problem and the matter is being investigated. The suggestion is to ‘perhaps’ switch off Atmos audio, just for the time being, until further information is forthcoming.

Not ideal, but hope that assists for now at least.

Same issue!  Loud pop then no audio.  Sonos Arc.

Userlevel 2
Badge

There was a response from Sonos Staff here on this issue…

Presumably there’s nothing further to report at this stage, other than Sonos appear to be aware of other manufacturer brands experiencing the same problem and the matter is being investigated. The suggestion is to ‘perhaps’ switch off Atmos audio, just for the time being, until further information is forthcoming.

Not ideal, but hope that assists for now at least.

>>>You are brave and doing your job. But Sonos where are you? Must Ken_Girrifhs do what you should be doing.

Turn it off? Is that the solution?

Userlevel 1

Also experiencing this issue with my Apple TV. New OS came out for ATV and it’s still happening. Anyone have a fix for it aside from turning off atmos?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Also experiencing this issue with my Apple TV. New OS came out for ATV and it’s still happening. Anyone have a fix for it aside from turning off atmos?

The official line from Sonos for its premier Dolby Atmos $900 Arc soundbar is to turn off Dolby Atmos. 

Hi @William_61 et al

We are aware of this behaviour and are investigating it, but we do not have any additional information to share on a resolution at this time. 

We are also aware of other manufacturer brands experiencing the same problem. Some users have reported it with in-built TV apps, so it is not limited to X-Box and Apple TV owners.

The issue only happens when playing Atmos content, so in the meantime, you can prevent this from happening by disabling Atmos audio on the TV or source device - not ideal, I know, but if it has happened to you before and you are concerned about it happening again, this step would prevent it.

I hope this helps.

Dear Corry,

Is there any update on this issue? Where can Sonos customers track and see updates for this issue?

Many thanks.

I have a 6 month old Arc and I get the same issue intermittently and it happens with Apple TV or Sky Q. A loud pop followed by sound loss for 3 seconds or so and then back to normal. This issue needs addressing.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi Folks,

We’ve still nothing to share at this point, but we are continuing to investigate this issue which is not specific to Sonos alone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi Folks,

We’ve still nothing to share at this point, but we are continuing to investigate this issue which is not specific to Sonos alone.

Which other hardware is it affecting, @Corry P ?

Badge

I have this same problem with Beam gen 2 and Atmos content (btw just realized most of my content nowadays is Dolby Atmos which is nice). Almost got a heart attack when it happened first time. A Loud pop and then a loss of sound. Is this harmful to the speaker?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @nik9669a 

I only know that other third-party sound-bar manufacturers are reporting the same issue. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Pahakissa 

We’re not aware of this issue happening on Beam, though it is related to Atmos. Therefore, we would appreciate it - if it ever happens again - if you could immediately submit a support diagnostic and later get in touch with our technical support team so we can document the occurrence. We’re also not aware of this issue causing any actual damage to the units it happens on.

That certainly suggests to me that the issue is upstream from Sonos, either the TV not handling the stream properly, or the device feeding the TV sending a signal that the TV passes on to the outboard speakers. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

That certainly suggests to me that the issue is upstream from Sonos, either the TV not handling the stream properly, or the device feeding the TV sending a signal that the TV passes on to the outboard speakers. 

We have lots of reports of both Xbox and Apple TV being affected. And these are widespread devices from major manufacturers, so it might just be their popularity causing the reports. 

Likewise we have lots of reports from both Sony and LG TVs passing the signal. Again, major popular manufactures.

On the other hand, we only have reports of Sonos devices being affected. Granted, this is a Sonos forum. But nobody is linking to similar threads about other sound bars and any request for examples is avoided. 
The weight of the evidence is pointing at a solution having to come from Sonos. Yes, maybe the Atmos spec is somehow not being followed by the major content players and TVs, but even if (if!) that is the case, it’ll still be on Sonos to fix it in software if they want to keep selling devices. I know I have stopped buying further Sonos devices until my Arc can play Atmos.