Skip to main content

Sonos Arc Harsh and Metallic sound

• 16 January 2024
  • 11 replies

I’ve read several pages of similar complaints in this topic: https://en.community.sonos.com/topic/show?tid=6843110&fid=228993

I have exact same issue, and I haven’t found any resolution (some people report that the issue was fixed, but I can tell that it’s still the case).

So far what I discovered:

• When I don’t do any TruePlay tuning at all after factory reset, the issue is here
  • When I do TruePlay tuning with my iPhone 12 while following the app instructions, it doesn’t help
  • When I do TruePay tuning with my girlfriend’s iPhone 12 Mini while following the app instructions, it doesn’t help
  • When I do TruePay tuning with my girlfriend’s iPhone 12 Mini while while standing at the first tuning step instead of sitting, it helps greatly, but sound quality still leaves much more to be desired
  • When I additionally raise iPhone higher on the second step of tuning, it makes sound more metallic and unpleasant again

What I also discovered while reading the huge topic referenced above is that presumably the issue occurs more frequently in fairly tight apartments (rather than large living room of a private house), and this is my case. Additionally, I have slightly higher ceiling (at about 3.2 meters) than in most of the buildings this size, that’s why I suppose standing instead of sitting changed the result.

Is there any way I get support with my case or my room just isn’t made for Arc? :)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

If you want Sonos support to deal with your case, you need to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

They don’t monitor these forums, only Sonos moderators do, and pass suggestions on to the development team. Occasionally, they have time to look at submitted and posted diagnostics. 

This is a community forum, where you get responses from community members / actual users of the products. 

I do get this, my interest here is to learn if there’re still customers like me and if anyone could get any helpful support with this issue

Ah, I guess I was confused by your request ‘Is there any way I get support with my case or my room just isn’t made for Arc?‘

@DeeSee,
The very few times I’ve seen this reported in this community — and I’m not sure if it’s the TV, a persons hearing, the Arc or the listening environment itself, as I’ve not personally (ever) been able to reproduce this issue myself by listening to certain videos/shows/movies mentioned — but anyway, many/most who had the issue, did seem to fix the matter by adding surround speakers, which of course changes the sound profile produced by the Soundbar in the room.

I’m not saying ‘dash out’ and buy two compatible speakers, but if you have any family, friends or colleagues that use Sonos that can lend you two compatible devices, such as Play:1/Sonos One/Era 100 etc. Then give those a try and see if the changed profile suits your TV/Hearing or listening environment etc. 

Note: If you don’t actually know anyone with such speakers, then you could consider purchasing two compatible surrounds direct from Sonos, who do offer a 45-day money back no quibble guarantee - but just check that offer is open to you, prior to any purchase. Also, I only recommend you go that route after you’ve discussed the issue with Sonos Support.

I hope the above helps and that you are able to get the matter resolved.

Ken_Griffiths thank you for your idea! I’d be glad to even dash and buy surround speakers, but I’m afraid I currently have nowhere to place them :( The only thing I was thinking about was adding Sub, and it presumably can’t help spatial algorithms.

UPD: That’s not the Arc alone. I’ve decided to try and follow the advice to add satellites (with temporary diagnostic setup), found two used Sonos One SL’s for cheap locally. Currently only one arrived and I clearly can tell that it has the same issue. The sound quality is great for such a small speaker, but ear fatigue is unbearable. It reduces a bit after turning off “loudness” in EQ settings, but listening music from ≈3 meters at ≈35% volume (not that loud) brings me noticeable headache and overall unpleasant feeling. Listening from my good old 2.0 system with cheap FiiO bluetooth sound card hooked to an amp via minijack doesn’t at all have this effect even with much higher volume (by this I mean that there’s not any “special” medical condition with my ears). I’ll nevertheless wait for the second speaker and try TruePlay tune them together with Arc, but now I’m not so optimistic about if this can help in any way.

In my opinion, this issue must not happen with any consumer sound system no matter how good or bad it is, but it’s infuriating when it happens for premium one. I don’t believe that it’s hardware issue, and as there are pretty many reports from customers, Sonos should’ve add a setting to turn down “fancy” sound tuning algorithms a long time ago.

UPD2: The effect somewhat persists event when I place the speaker (One SL) in the open doorframe directed outside the house and try listen music for 5 minutes at ≈70% volume. I can’t run full 2 hour test though not to bother neighbors and it’s winter at my place after all :)

For me this means that my interior might amplify the issue, but not cause it in the first place.

UPD2: The effect somewhat persists event when I place the speaker (One SL) in the open doorframe directed outside the house and try listen music for 5 minutes at ≈70% volume. I can’t run full 2 hour test though not to bother neighbors and it’s winter at my place after all :)

For me this means that my interior might amplify the issue, but not cause it in the first place.

Obviously no-one here is able to hear what you’re hearing, but if you can hear a metallic sound from both your Sonos products, something I’ve not seen reported before, then maybe Sonos DSP just does not suit your hearing - Different brands of speaker have different sounds and maybe Sonos is just not in keeping with how you hear things. You can’t please all the people etc…

It’s not an issue I’ve ever personally noticed and you seem to have eliminated the environment as part of the issue. I guess if the Sonos sound doesn’t work for you, even after bonding the One SL’s as surrounds, then it’s perhaps best to sell them on and try a different brand that perhaps may better suit how you like to hear things. 

Yeah, the last hope is that when configured into the single system they will magically begin sound differently.

I’ve also never experienced and even heard about something like this, but brief research shows that for every brand/product there’s always someone complaining about ear fatigue, so I’m too unlucky to learn my lesson with the expensive one :)

@Ken_Griffiths I have seen this reported many times and you have been in those forums too…….it 100% happens and sonos are shockingly not willing to fix it….I guess they don’t see it as a problem that metallic sounds come out of their premium products.

I have been back and forth with sonos for months, given them examples, forum links, diagnostics, TV type, hdmi ports I'm using, everything they aren't willing to look at and at least try to replicate the error if they did surely someone gets fired for allowing this to be released to the public? 

would have to return the product which is a massive shame…..but £450 for a beam with this kind of error is ridiculous  

@Ken_Griffiths I have seen this reported many times and you have been in those forums too…….it 100% happens and sonos are shockingly not willing to fix it….I guess they don’t see it as a problem that metallic sounds come out of their premium products.

I have been back and forth with sonos for months, given them examples, forum links, diagnostics, TV type, hdmi ports I'm using, everything they aren't willing to look at and at least try to replicate the error if they did surely someone gets fired for allowing this to be released to the public? 

would have to return the product which is a massive shame…..but £450 for a beam with this kind of error is ridiculous  

As another Sonos Beam user myself, I can’t assist you @Jason.Ekwueme - I have two Sonos Beams here and I’ve personally never experienced the sound issue you’re referring too. If you’ve perhaps tried another make/model of TV and have a video etc. then my own thoughts are you should certainly go back to Sonos Support to escalate the matter with the Staff there.