Answered

Sonos Arc and rear Yamaha speakers

• 6 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Hi

Looking to replace my existing Yamaha 5.1 system with an Arc.  Doing so to de-clutter the room.  I already have in-ceiling Yamaha rear speakers (wired) which I was hoping I could utilise.  From what Ive read, looks like I need to get an Arc and a Sonos Amp.  Some questions I had:

1. Are there any known issues with using Yamaha in-ceiling rear speakers?
  2. Am I correct in assuming I need an Amp for the rears?  Any way to connect them to the soundbar directly?
  3. From a sound perspective, is it worth buying an Amp just to connect rear speakers?  Not using any other Sonos product.  Just want good surround sound.
  4. Does the Arc have google home inbuilt?  I have a dedicated good home speaker.  Was hoping  to sell the existing google home speaker and use google home via ARC

All my TV shows/Movies will be coming from a Apple TV device connected to my Samsung TV..  We mainly watch shows on Netflix and ABC iView..

Thanks

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 6 April 2024, 14:01

View original

3 replies

1. None that I’m aware of. As long as they’re the correct ohms, and passive speakers, they should connect to the Sonos Amp without issue.
  2. Yes. No. 
  3. In my opinion, absolutely.
  4. According to the sales page at www.sonos.com, yes. 

Thanks for the response..

My rears are Yamaha NS-IC600.  The specs are as follows:

Type    2-way coaxial
Woofer    6.5” (16 cm) PP (polypropylene) mica cone
Tweeter    1” (2.5 cm) fluid-cooled soft dome, coaxial, swivel
Frequency Response    65 Hz – 28 kHz
Maximum Input Power    110 W
Sensitivity    90 dB
Impedance    8 ohms

Can anyone confirm if they will work with the Amp?  If not then I'll just buy the Arc

Userlevel 7

The Amp will work with your 8 ohm speakers. Click the link. You’ll have scroll to find the snipet I copied/pasted below the link. 

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/amp

Power

125 watts per channel at 8 ohms

Question #4 @Airgetlam meant well with the link he provided regarding your question about Google Voice and the Arc; but I the link below is more direct. You’l find the snippet below it as well. I’m posting this at 7AM CST so Eight (8) hours ago was pretty late; I suspect he may have been a bit tired as he is always  on point 😂

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/arc

More hands-free help

Ask Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant to control your smart home devices, manage your calendar, and more.4

On a serious note...I wouldn’t sell your Google Home speaker. New models (Era 300 & Era 100) that would have supported Google Voice natively in the past (per Sonos previous track) do not. However, they can be controlled via another speaker that supports Google voice. Sonos and Google have been at odds lately. So take that statement for what it’s worth 🙄 

Which voice assistants can I use with Era 300?

You can use Sonos Voice Control and Amazon Alexa with Era 300 in supported countries and languages. Both services must be enabled using the Sonos app. You can also use Google Assistant on another speaker in your system to play and manage music with Era 300.

Which voice assistants can I use with Era 100?

You can use Sonos Voice Control and Amazon Alexa with Era 100 in supported countries and languages. Both services must be enabled using the Sonos app. You can also use Google Assistant on another speaker in your system to play and manage music with Era 100.