Sonos Amp w/soundbar and subwoofer connections question.

• 20 February 2023
  • 5 replies

Hey All

I`m considering purchasing a Sonos Amp,

Currently i have this arrangement..

Currently have a soundbar with wireless sub.

I`d like to get a Sonos Amp and Ray soundbar see if i can loose my old soundbar and wireless sub for a wired sub i have.
Then have the amp connected to PlayStation 5 and TV, not sure best way to connect the PS5.
There are two in wall hdmi cables running to the back of the tv.

Also considering future adding a projector and screen which not ideal would be on another wall but am quite happy to just use bookcase speakers and the sub for sound.

Just wanted to see if a) this is possible with the Sonos Amp and also b) connecting PS5&Soundbar.

Thanks in advance

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What is it you want to achieve in you set up? Do you want 5.1 surround or separate stereo (music) and TV set ups?

In Sonos set ups for TV sounds, the TV is used as a “hub” for all connected set top boxes and game computers. So you’d connect your PS5 to the TV via HDMI and the Amp (via HDMI-ARC) or Ray (via optical) to the TV. You could use the Ray for FL-Center-FR and the Amp for surrounds. As it is the least expensive soundbar for Sonos, depending on your circumstances the Beam or Arc might be more suited to work with the Amp.

Three things to remember;

• Most TV’s do not allow the Amp and the Ray both being connected and both playing TV sound - sou you’d need to choose what device you want for front speakers; and
  • If you’d want to use the Amp for surround duties (placing speakers on either side of the couch) the sub connection is turned off;
  • When used in a surround set up music will be played over all speakers (soundbar and surrounds) - you’d get “double stereo”.

Overall, this is a messy project.

It is not possible to use a 3rd party subwoofer with a SONOS soundbar. You can use a 3rd party subwoofer that is wired to AMP.

I don’t recommended attempting to play TV or PS5 audio simultaneously through AMP and a soundbar because there will be a small, but vexing time offset. There will not be any time offset while playing music.

Full disclosure: I’m not a PS5 user.

I recommend attaching PS5 to the TV with an HDMI cable and routing the TV’s audio to the soundbar. Depending on the soundbar, this can be done with an HDMI cable from the TV’s HDMI-ARC connection, or connecting the HDMI-ARC to optical dongle, as appropriate.

For playing PS5 audio through AMP, you’ll need to extract analog audio from the PS5. I have no experience with this device, it would be inserted into the HDMI connection to the TV.

You would similarly need to extract audio on the way to the projector. Probably, you would use some sort of HDMI selector switch on the equipment shelf.

What is it you want to achieve in you set up? Do you want 5.1 surround or separate stereo (music) and TV set ups?

In Sonos set ups for TV sounds, the TV is used as a “hub” for all connected set top boxes and game computers. So you’d connect your PS5 to the TV via HDMI and the Amp (via HDMI-ARC) or Ray (via optical) to the TV. You could use the Ray for FL-Center-FR and the Amp for surrounds. As it is the least expensive soundbar for Sonos, depending on your circumstances the Beam or Arc might be more suited to work with the Amp.

Three things to remember;

• Most TV’s do not allow the Amp and the Ray both being connected and both playing TV sound - sou you’d need to choose what device you want for front speakers; and
  • If you’d want to use the Amp for surround duties (placing speakers on either side of the couch) the sub connection is turned off;
  • When used in a surround set up music will be played over all speakers (soundbar and surrounds) - you’d get “double stereo”.

Thanks, i`m not bothered about surround sound. would be happy with soundbar + subwoofer and 2.1 with the bookshelf speakers for the projector setup.
​​​​​​​

Overall, this is a messy project.

It is not possible to use a 3rd party subwoofer with a SONOS soundbar. You can use a 3rd party subwoofer that is wired to AMP.

I don’t recommended attempting to play TV or PS5 audio simultaneously through AMP and a soundbar because there will be a small, but vexing time offset. There will not be any time offset while playing music.

Full disclosure: I’m not a PS5 user.

I recommend attaching PS5 to the TV with an HDMI cable and routing the TV’s audio to the soundbar. Depending on the soundbar, this can be done with an HDMI cable from the TV’s HDMI-ARC connection, or connecting the HDMI-ARC to optical dongle, as appropriate.

For playing PS5 audio through AMP, you’ll need to extract analog audio from the PS5. I have no experience with this device, it would be inserted into the HDMI connection to the TV.

You would similarly need to extract audio on the way to the projector. Probably, you would use some sort of HDMI selector switch on the equipment shelf.

thanks, yes I was going to use the subwoofer wire to the AMP and have the soundbar connected to the TV. Would this work ok ,  would it cause latency issues between the various speakers? 

I also have an hdmi audio extractor aswell as i use it for headphones with the PS5.

thanks, yes I was going to use the subwoofer wire to the AMP and have the soundbar connected to the TV. Would this work ok ,  would it cause latency issues between the various speakers? 

I also have an hdmi audio extractor aswell as i use it for headphones with the PS5.

In that configuration, the Amp would have a significant lag with TV sources.  The only way to sync up an Amp with a soundbar is to use the Amp as surrounds, which means the Amp’s subwoofer output would be inoperable.