Answered

Setting up the Sonos Beam

• 17 February 2021
  • 6 replies

I am trying to set up my beam on a 2011 LG tv.  The tv manual says it's simplink supported but I can't actually select simplink (not an option).  This is the end of my knowledge of technology and need some help.  Can't I skip this?  I've selected the HDMI /arc but that's as far as I can go.

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by controlav 17 February 2021, 02:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You don’t say which TV so its hard to be sure if it has CEC, but but 2011 is risky for HDMI-ARC support.

Instead use the optical output of your TV, along with the optical adapter that comes with the Beam.

Userlevel 7

@LauraJ What do you mean exactly when you say Simplink is “not an option”? Are you sure you are looking in the right place in the TV settings?

Userlevel 7

Hi @LauraJ 

FYI, Simplink in 2011 was just a HDMI input selection technology (HDMI switching).  Meaning the device connected to the TV via HDMI required a power on button either physical or via remote that would send a pulse/signal via HDMI to the TV. The signal would trigger the TV to power on and switch to the appropriate HDMI input.That was strictly a one way communication to the TV.  

Gaming consoles were the primary sources utilizing the technology. They also had to be programmed in their settings menu to activate the technology (feature). Today many power-on-via-remote sources employ the technology; such as AppleTV. 

The Beam using HDMI ARC to HDMI ARC is a bi-direction communication with a TV. It along with a properly equipped TV uses advanced Simplink technology called HDMI ARC-CEC that also carries audio. The Beam using an Alexa or Google voice assistant translates the voice command into a power on/off signal when the technologies work as intended. Often times they may not as there is no standard for HDMI ARC-CEC implementation.

The Beam is always on therefore the remote being used when HDMI ARC-CEC works properly is only powering on the TV. The Beam will only power on a TV when the voice assistant is activated. As has been suggested you’ll probably have to use the Beam connected to your 2011 TV via the HDMI Optical Converter supplied with the speaker.

You don’t say which TV so its hard to be sure if it has CEC, but but 2011 is risky for HDMI-ARC support.

Instead use the optical output of your TV, along with the optical adapter that comes with the Beam.

I'll try the adapter from the optical output tonight when I get home.  I didn't even think about trying that.  Thanks for your help

@LauraJ What do you mean exactly when you say Simplink is “not an option”? Are you sure you are looking in the right place in the TV settings?

Yep, 100% sure.  From what others have written I'm going to try the optical output adapter.  Or buy a new tv sooner than I wanted too

Hi @LauraJ 

FYI, Simplink in 2011 was just a HDMI input selection technology (HDMI switching).  Meaning the device connected to the TV via HDMI required a power on button either physical or via remote that would send a pulse/signal via HDMI to the TV. The signal would trigger the TV to power on and switch to the appropriate HDMI input.That was strictly a one way communication to the TV.  

Gaming consoles were the primary sources utilizing the technology. They also had to be programmed in their settings menu to activate the technology (feature). Today many power-on-via-remote sources employ the technology; such as AppleTV. 

The Beam using HDMI ARC to HDMI ARC is a bi-direction communication with a TV. It along with a properly equipped TV uses advanced Simplink technology called HDMI ARC-CEC that also carries audio. The Beam using an Alexa or Google voice assistant translates the voice command into a power on/off signal when the technologies work as intended. Often times they may not as there is no standard for HDMI ARC-CEC implementation.

The Beam is always on therefore the remote being used when HDMI ARC-CEC works properly is only powering on the TV. The Beam will only power on a TV when the voice assistant is activated. As has been suggested you’ll probably have to use the Beam connected to your 2011 TV via the HDMI Optical Converter supplied with the speaker.

That was a great answer, thank you.  Much more clear now.